Traffic Violation in Italian Rental Car - Wee Willie Winkie
All,

Myself and SWMBO went on holiday to Tuscany in July 2004 (very enjoyable it was too, we got engaged), and hired a Citroen Pluriel from Avis.

Anyway, got a letter from them today advising they have received a fine from the Polizia Municipale in Florence for a 'violation of Italian Traffic Regulations'. Under section blah blah of the regulations, the hire company have provided my details to the authorities who will send a request for to my address.

I know the ticket is not for illegal parking as we parked in a private car park. It also can't be for speeding as Florence isn't exactly know for its free flowing traffic! So, I must have contravened a traffic signal or something.

Now, I have a couple of questions, if anyone would like to comment/answer:

1) Does anyone agree that the term 'Italian Traffic Regulations' is a bit ironic?!

2) If I receive the request, would I be sensible to ignore it? Remembering some of the driving over there, I object to the fact I may have mistakenly gone through a badly signed red traffic light when all manner of Italian drivers routinely cut each other up willy nilly....

Any comments gratefully received!

Cheers,

Steve
DB
Traffic Violation in Italian Rental Car - Humpy
Query it by all means but don't ignore it. If you do, they have the authority to charge your credit card anyhow and they also charge you an extortionate admin charge on top.
Avis have charged me 6 euro for admin, but I don't believe the Italian police can charge my credit card. Besides, that particular card has expired so they wouldn't be able to...

Cheers....
No the car is owned by avis, it is avis that will have to pay the fine. They charge you 6 euro for telling you about it in the first place, then if they have to pay the fine, they charge you + admin charge. Happened to me with a parking fine in SA with an avis car.
Traffic Violation in Italian Rental Car - martint123
Besides, that particular card has expired so they wouldn't be able to...

I beg to differ - charges can be made to a card some years after it has been 'cancelled' and the bank will pay and chase you. Ask people who cancelled cards to try to stop AA/RAC 'continuing authority'.

I beg to differ again. A continuous authority is an authority to debit more than once, without repeated authorisation from the cardholder. A one off transaction requires the card number, expiry date, and the CVV number if the cardholder is not present.

7 years of working for a credit card company teaches a thing or two.
Frankly, I don't know about what they'd do about your cancelled card. When you signed the agreement you assumed responsibility for any fines etc. but whether they'd actually chase you abroad is another matter.

8< snip 8<

DD.
Traffic Violation in Italian Rental Car - Pugugly {P}

Can't imagine that the Italians could make a computer system work.

I could - probably far better than this country can.
Traffic Violation in Italian Rental Car - Altea Ego
Having worked with them I can happily state they cant.
No' you're right, we definitely can't, but I can't imagine that they can either
Traffic Violation in Italian Rental Car - madux
Can't imagine that the Italians could make a computer system work.

What you do is throw the bicycle at the power station, then change the tapes under cover of darkness, then put the gold in the boot of the Mini..............
Traffic Violation in Italian Rental Car - cockle {P}
A continuous authority is an
authority to debit more than once, without repeated authorisation from the
cardholder. A one off transaction requires the card number, expiry
date, and the CVV number if the cardholder is not present.
7 years of working for a credit card company teaches a
thing or two.

>>
SWMBO works in credit card debt collection and confirms exactly what you've said above, Dieselboy, and reckons that should they try to bill you on your old card the issuing bank would decline the transaction, certainly her bank would.
Whether Avis would then bother to chase I wouldn't like to say, might be more bother than it's worth to them but, I would think, you might have problems hiring from them again! And as they are pretty worldwide it might pay to stay on their better side, never know when you might need one of their cars!
Out of interest, how did they bill you for the 6 Euro admin charge? I presume an invoice with the letter, which would confirm what we've said above about the credit card billing.

Slightly off track, when are the manufacturers going to put a Euro sign on our keyboards as well as £ & $ ???? I've got all sorts of squiggles at my finger tips but no Euro, grrrrr.
Cockle
Buongiorno Senor Cockle,

The letter stated the 6 Euro charge would be added to my "Credit Club Account". Whatever that might be. The car way booked through the holiday company, so you never know, this might all get lost in a big chain of Italian inefficiency!
Traffic Violation in Italian Rental Car - smokie
Cockle - for Euro sign press Alt Gr and number 4 on top row of k/b.

? ? ? ? ?

Works in XP anyway.

And I had charges from a cancelled (cos it was stolen) card appear on a new card some months after the charges were incurred. The cc company reversed the charges once, then it happened again. I asked them how long I could expect this to go on, they said for ever. However, they magically stoped when I said in that case I would cancel the card...
The charges would only continue until the expiry date on the stolen card was passed. Unless the card details are placed on a "Hot Card Bulletin", which is pretty expensive, spends can still occur. Once the expiry date has passed however, that particular card is useless. Even guessing the expiry date is no good as the CVV changes every time a new card is issued. Chip & PIN will change all this though as the card companies will have the ability to switch a card off as soon as a loss is notified. Sorry, not motoring, but I thought I'd let you in on that!
??????????????? Traffic Violation - pmh
?????????????? to allow you to reply to Avis!!!!!

Alt Gr and the 4 key, The symbol is shown on both my keyboards (one is at least 2 years old), Running very early XP Pro keyboard drivers.

Somebody else will come along and tell you how to find the code using Alt number keypad.

--
pmh (was peter)

Traffic Violation in Italian Rental Car - martint123
Unlike your own car where if you want to risk it you could ignore it*, It's quite likely that the hire car outfit may get done. They won't be happy unless they can get their money back and will go to the ends of the earth to do so.

* (I'm not sure about Italy, but the Dutch have long memories and computer terminals at the ports).
Ah well, I'll wait and see what happens. I still chuckle to myself over the term "Italian Traffic Regulations"....
Traffic Violation in Italian Rental Car - Adam {P}
What are the odds of perhaps the most sensible driver in Italy (yourself DB) being penalised when you see how the others drive!

Good luck
--
Adam
Traffic Violation in Italian Rental Car - Bromptonaut
Is the letter from Avis itself and does it look "right"?

There've been reports of a scam involving Canary Islands hire cars and similar requests, but i think these came from a shady debt collection company not the hire company as such;.

Your call; but I'd be careful if it's genuine and you intend returning to Italy!
At the end of the day, I don't think you'll have a problem from the italian authorities because Avis will pay the fine. You 'only' have Avis to worry about.
Yep, it's from Avis and looks right.

Good point about returning to Italy - last thing I want is to pulled at passport control when we go back!!!
" but the Dutch have long memories and computer terminals at the ports"

But not at the Land borders.
But the point is that Avis will pay the fine - so there will be no problem with the authorities.
I don't know about that. The letter says the authorities will send a payment request to me, so it looks like Avis don't pay...

Catzo!
Oh right... Sorry, I stand corrected!!
This all assumes that I ever receive anything! A friend who lived in Italy tells me there's so much red tape that nothing ever gets done!
Yup so much red tape there. It may take months to get you out of jail next time you visit.
lol! Although you may have a point!
Traffic Violation in Italian Rental Car - Dwight Van Driver
As you are back in UK there is no obligation to pay any traffic violation imposed by another EEC State or elswhere but legislation is coming. Note that there may be a marker put somewhere on your name so that if you return and come to notice the axe could fall if not paid.

However there may be something in the small print of the agreement with Avis which will permit them to pay and deduct from you C.Card.

If Avis haven't already taken lira from your account then wait and see if the letter arrives. If it does then your not obliged to respond.

Read the post and thought that it was the scam that was reported last year being practised by Spain and Italy in sending letters to drivers who had hired cars abroad and were alleged to have committed traffic offence and asked to pay fine direct, details are on this forum. May be one of the mods can pull up the thread.

DVD
Thanks DVD!

Steve
Traffic Violation in Italian Rental Car - john deacon
dont think dvd is correct

this is certianly the way uk justice system routinely treats foreigners, except in the most serious cases where someone has been killed

this is not the way foreign states treat UK citizens

you may well to all intents and purposes "be able to get away with it" if you never go back to italy, but try entering italy again and you may well find you have serious issues

they can indeed prosecute you, you have the right to go back and defend yourself, but if you dont appear you can be found guilty in your absense, if you then dont pay fine, you can end up on the list of defaulters for routine arrest

italian police forces (there are so many of them overlapping, with totally different styles) and customs/immigration have a culture all of there own shall we say

if its a simple fixed penalty and they chase you, and you are likely to go back i would defend it or pay up

they cannot endorse a UK licence however, but they could ban you from driving in italy

think UK police would be highly amazed at what happens to UK drivers abroad, totally different to how they treat foreigners here
Traffic Violation in Italian Rental Car - SlidingPillar
Probably silly and obvious, but why not wait until the details of the alledged offence arrive?

All this talk of evading etc, might be unecessary if the detauils dont match the car, where you were etc.
Avis supplied the details including licence plate, date and general location (Florence). All match to where we were thay day.

Have already said I'll wait and see if anything even turns up!

Cheers.