Philips DC012 CD Changer problems - Chad.R
The DC012 (6) CD changer on my "new" Landcruiser seems to have packed up, it never really worked that well since I've had the car - about a month now;
Initially when the magazine was loaded it would only play CD1 and when that ended would repeat CD1 (and no, the "repeat" function wasn't on). Then it would sometimes (actually only once) play CD2 but after switching off/on, it was back to looping CD1 again.
It gets worse - a few days ago I ejected the mag but without me noticing at the time, it ejected but with CD1 still left in the changer. I then unwittingly reloaded a full mag and after that it wont play any CDs, the head unit (Philips DC712) shows "CD ERROR" and now the mag wont even eject - the "eject" button light flashes but nothing happens.

What's the best way to remove the mag and also extract the CD that the changer seems to have eaten?
Is there anything I could do to check the loading mechanism?
Also could the head unit/controller be sending the changer faulty signals (it uses D2B standard)?

The options as I see them;
1). Source a used DC012 unit from ebay (there's one there now) and simply replace the faulty unit and hope it works.
2). Replace the complete system with a new head unit and changer or even just a CD/MP3 head unit.

Option may be cheaper and hassle free in the long run...... ironically my '94MY Omega has the same Philips DC012 changer as standard and I've never had any problems with it over the years.

TIA.
Philips DC012 CD Changer problems - tr7v8
Scan Computers www.scan.co.uk were doing Blaupunkt head & 6 CD changer for £ 125ish on their web site if its any help.

Jim
Philips DC012 CD Changer problems - Dynamic Dave

Have you tried disconecting/reconnecting the power to see if it'll reset?
DD, Thanks, I'll try switching off the power and see if that helps ....

Tr7v8,
Thanks, there are quite a few deals on "decent" new headunit/changer combos out there without having to spend silly money - both the Sony DJCT370X (10cd) and JVC RHPK480 (12cd) are available below £150 in addition to the Blaupunkt unit you mentioned. Up the budget to £200 and the choice is huge....

I might just go down that route if I can't "fix" the existing unit rather than throw good money after bad......

Cheers,
Chad.
Chad,

If the changer is anything like the Philips 4 disc multiplay unit in my previous Vectra, I once removed it from the glovebox to give the lens a thorough clean because cd's kept skipping. The cover came off relatively easily to gain access to the working internals, from what I remember.

Philips DC012 CD Changer problems - David Horn
Stick a cleaning CD in it. Also, I believe some multichangers get upset if you use CDRs.

My Philips one in my Xsara (factory fitted) has never been the same after it got squashed by a 15KG DMX converter that was in the boot when I hit a patch of oil while braking.
Stick a cleaning CD in it.

Chad will have a job doing that. If you read further up the thread, you'll see why.
Yep, I tried switching the power off/on but this didn't seem to do much, so may next step will be to try and remove the front cover while the changer is in-situ. It's slung underneath the passenger seat and its quite fiddly to access the mountings unless you have childs hands or fingers as long as ET!

Cheers.
I actually managed to remove the changer unit with only a few scraped knuckles and cuts ....

Anyway, I dismantled it and ejected the mag and also managed to remove the "stuck" CD. Put it all back together, I really didn't have much hope that it would work at all, however now the mag loads and ejects as it should. But, and this is a big but, even with a full mag the unit will only play CD#6 and displays "No Disc" for the other 5 slots!

Any ideas?

This will be my last attempt at a fix......

TIA
Chad,

Sounds like you've got something out of alignment somewhere. More scraped knuckles for you as it sounds like you need to take the lid off the unit again.
Philips DC012 CD Changer problems - pitchfork
I have just been given one of these & a Philips SC804 head unit
Where in your Omega was the autochanger mounted (I have an Estate)?
Was the wiring loom already in the car?
If not any idea where I could obtain one?
Ian