Ford Mondeo GHIA 1993 est. Loss of power - brian200
Problem in morning over last 2 or 3 months..[colder/damper weather?]. Starts up fine. Then engine revs drop and then increase repeatedly [with foot in fixed position on accelerator]. Soon lots of white smoke pouring out of exhaust. If i take foot off accelerator engine will stall. As engine approaches normal temperature starts to get better. Suddenly exhaust stops smoking and car ok. On two occasions these symptoms more serious and smell of something getting very hot at rear of engine on passenger side...smoke starts to come from this location of engine. The curious thing is that if i then stop the car and leave for 15 minutes or so and then try again car is fine!. During these 2 more serious problems there has been a muffled rattle as though the exhaust is loose [and from the exhaust location]..but not quite the same noise.
Ford Mondeo GHIA 1993 est. Loss of power - Andrew Moorey (Tune-Up)
I am assuming the car is a petrol version.My guess is the cat is breaking up and intermittently blocking exhaust. The gases are trying to escape via the egr valve and the Exhaust Gas Pressure Differential Sensor. If unnatended they will set the sound insulation on fire.
Andrew
--
Simplicate and add lightness!!
Ford Mondeo GHIA 1993 est. Loss of power - brian200
Thanks Andrew. What you say sound good. what is 'sound insulation'?. Could other damage already be done?
Brian