Honda CR-V tyre changes - merlinauto
A neighbour of mine has just had a new set of tyres fitted to a Honda CR-V. He was told by the tyre fitters that he needed to change the complete set because running this type of 4x4 with some new and some part-worn tyres would damage the transmission.

Has anyone else heard of this? Is it true and if so what is the reason?

I am sure someone out there can enlighten me...

Thanks in advance
Honda CR-V tyre changes - GrahamF1
Sounds like a load of clap-trap to me, unless of course someone else wants to correct me. Great way to sell more tyres though.

Tell him to look at the owner's manual - if this were the case then it would say so in the manual.
Honda CR-V tyre changes - mbah4
I am afraid that it is probably true. As I remember the Peugeot 405 and Vauxhall Cavalier's were notorious for this as they did not have a central diff which allows the front and rear wheels to rotate at different rates.

I think some other cars have the same issue. Land Rovers etc do not of course!
Honda CR-V tyre changes - Aprilia
Yes, probably true. There will be a tolerance given in the factory manual for max difference in radius between tyres.
Honda CR-V tyre changes - bikemade3
I vaguely remember this was also a problem with Sierra XR4x4's you had to change all 4 tyres to prevent damage to the transmission due to different axle speeds.

Off course all respecting owners did this, then sold them 3 years later just before the gearbox gave up the go !

As for Land Rovers for the last 50 years they have been designed to go "Off Road" Honda CR-V's haven't
Honda CR-V tyre changes - Pugugly {P}
And Volvos IIRC. Led to transmission faliure in some cases.
Honda CR-V tyre changes - smoke
I am not sure if i will be shot down for this, but all the other cars mentione had full time 4x4 which the CR-V doesn't. The rears only come into action when they there is loss of traction on the front. For this reason, I would have thought it would be fine to replace as long as you were replaceing axle pairs, i.e. 2 front or 2 rear.