Peugeot 106 ticking noises - bimmer-driver
Morning all

Recently acquired a 1997P Peugeot 106 1124cc, with 60,000 miles. Smashing little car, great to drive with PAS etc. Its got a full service history and everything seems fine, however it has started making a ticking noise from the engine. Its nothing loud (only audible when idling), and a mate reckons the cam followers are sludged up a bit but thinks theres no point doing anything about it as it wont affect the longevity of the engine, just makes it a bit noisier.

My question is then what are cam followers, and is what my mate says right about leaving them alone? I'm not bothered about a bit of extra noise as apparently the TU series engines weren't the quietest of things when first made anyway.

Also, any pointers of what else to watch out for on 106's in general?

Thanks in advance

Ben
Peugeot 106 ticking noises - Peter D
The noise you may be hearing is the monotronic injector which ticks on very short pulses i.e. tick over. Place a long screw driver on the upper throttle body housing any stick your ear on it and I think it will match you noise. If it was a cam noise it would be worse if you removed the oil filler cap. resint you screw driver on the cam cover will identify your noise. This engine is a rocker type not hydraulic cam followers so you mate is way off course. I have a 98 R plate sat in the drive which I bought for my daugther a year ago. Correct cam belt change interval and correct tension very important. Check resistance of HT leads 1.5 K for the shortest and 2.5 ish for the longest. Steel pin that goes up into the lead at the plug end prone to corrosion and high resistance. Manual hand brake adjustment. Regards Peter
Peugeot 106 ticking noises - Peter D
Further, Radiator corrosion and leaks, original part available from eurocarparts.co.uk but use proper pug antifreeze. difficult to fill and get the air locks out. Peter
Peugeot 106 ticking noises - madf
other 106 problems:
disks can corrode unevenly if little used.
Rear wheel cylinders leak after about 8 years
passenger side lower suspension arm balljoint wears due to water ingress.
watch alternator drive belt for slipping (squealing) - easily adjusted.
Rust in seams under spare wheel.

Check all radiator hoses: the more complex ones can split and leak.. if bad head gasket goes £££s

madf