Fiesta 94 LX Common Earth problem? - linzi_mac
Hi
Got a really strange problem I need help with.
Whilst driving along my airbag/seatbelt light comes on and then all of a sudden my dash lights and external lights dim, i have no brake lights or hazards and the car slowly comes to a halt. I got it going again just by pumping the throttle? the car kangaroo hopped for about a min then all of sudden everything came on full blast, lights an all and was back to normal.
This has happened to me twice now. The first time was on a cold morning, I had heaters and everything on in the car full blast whilst I was scraping the ice of the outside. As soon as I got into the car and stuck it in reverse it died. I had to jump start the battery to get it going again that time.
Seems like an earth problem but no idea where to start looking!
Fiesta 94 LX Common Earth problem? - mfarrow
Have a look in the engine bay for any earth straps/leads going from the engine/gearbox to the chassis. Check that these aren't corroded. If they're not it may be a good point anyway to unscrew then and clean the eyelet off with wire wool, then reattach complete with a bit of vaceline. I wouldn't wire-wool the chassis though as you may encourage corrosion, just clean that. Also check the earthing lead going from the battery to the chassis, if (and I presume) there is one.
Fiesta 94 LX Common Earth problem? - linzi_mac

think have solved the problem. We had checked all of the cables between alternator and battery etc and all were clean and looked ok. Tested alternator and it was charging battery ok too.
I read on another site about a similar problem. Guy checked a cable between the alternator and the starter motor. The cable inside the insulation had snapped, so he had not noticed it at first.
Checked this cable on my car and was very very loose. Took 3 good turns on a spanner to get it tight.
Fingers crossed thats all it was!

Thanks