transit run out of diesel,now wont run - bensk1
hope sombody may be able to help as its coming up to xmas and i have no vehicle! i stupidly ran out of fuel in my 95 2.5d transit,it now has diesel in it but just turns and wont start,i thought there was some kind of manual pump to prime the injectors but i cant see it anywhere??
transit run out of diesel,now wont run - keo-the-dog
usually on top of fuel filter housing or there abouts trace fuel lines from pump youll find it
transit run out of diesel,now wont run - P 2501
Yes you are right, there should be a manual primer pump but i don't know where it is located on this engine.

It should be on the main fuel hose which often routes into the engine bay on the left hand side as you look at the car from the front.If you still can't see it, find the high pressure fuel injection pump and follow the hoses back that lead into it.Pump it until it goes hard (ahem)and that should be all thats needed.
transit run out of diesel,now wont run - bensk1
thanks,ive searched everywhere for this dam thing,still cant see it anywhere!!! nothing on or near the fuel filter,cant find anything on the net and dont have a manual,most annoying thing is i used to work for a recovery company on behave of aa etc and have fixed this problem before....(crying)
transit run out of diesel,now wont run - P 2501
Weird. Maybe it leaked in the past and was cut out and bypassed with a piece of hose?

If you used to be a recovery guy then i don't think i am going to be of much use to you!

Not much else i can sugest except maybe ring ford up or get the rac out yourself.

Sorry!
transit run out of diesel,now wont run - Number_Cruncher
One trick I have used to get me out of difficulty is as follows;

1) loosen the feed pipe at the pump

2) apply very low pressure air (2 or 3 psi max) to the tank via the filler neck. You might be able to rig something up with a foot pump if you haven't got an airline

3) when nice bubble free fuel comes out, smartly nip up the fuel pipe at the pump.

4) then, loosen the injector pipes, and bleed up to the injectors in the usual way while cranking.

Hope that helps.

number_cruncher
transit run out of diesel,now wont run - Simon
Loosen off an injector pipe at the injector end and crank the engine over until it is squirting diesel out without air in it, tighten it back up and hey presto the van should crank over and start to fire. Give it a squirt of easy start down the air intake to help it pull the diesel through if you have got some handy. Failing this tow it round the block in order to give it a tow start and it should quite quickly fire up. You may have to give it a couple of go's.
transit run out of diesel,now wont run - Number_Cruncher
In my opinion, the use of Easy Start or similar is not to be recommended. It is possible that the resulting unmetered and uncontrolled combustion may produce excessive cylinder pressures, which in turn may cause engine damage.

number_cruncher
transit run out of diesel,now wont run - Simon
Easy start won't hurt it, its a 2.5l diesel van engine. I'm not suggesting he empties a tin of the stuff down it, just a squirt to make it fire, because once the engine starts firing, nine times out of ten it is enough to make the engine pull its own fuel through. I've seen engines running purely on easy start, can after can trying to make them bleed their diesel through and run on own. I have never seen an engine that has been damaged yet by the use of easy start, don't get me wrong it does happen but you have to have been using it to the excess to do some serious damage.
transit run out of diesel,now wont run - none
There isn't a manual primer on the 2.5 DI engine. Take the fuel filter off and fill with fuel. Replace. Loosen the injector pipes and spin the engine over until fuel leaks from at least a couple of them. Tighten. Engine should fire.
If the filter is the old type (secured by a plastic wing nut) make sure that the nut is undone fully. It's easy to remove the filter with a partly undone nut, but it won't seal again unless the metal clamping ring is fully open. The later bayonet type of fitting (large plastic ring) might be a bit tight unless it was greased on last reassembly. Judicious force required. At risk of offending the perfectionists, a long screwdriver and hammer usually works.