Chipmunks - markymarkn
Hi all,

I have a really annoying squeak coming from the back of my astra - it seems to do it while driving along bumpy roads etc or when coming off the drive etc.

It sounds like I have a family of talkative chipmunks on the parcel shelf but after further inspection its seems I have not.

Ive tried putting tape round the parcel shelf pins, checked the boot is shut tight with no movement, nothing seems loose, but its still there, and its still annoying me. Its not a really loud noise nor is it always there - just happens every so often, sometimes worse than others.

Any ideas or suggestions of how I can stop it?

ta

Mark.

p.s. The car in question is my beloved mk2 astra cdi.
Re: Chipmunks - Paul
Could be a broken rear spring. Loose shock absorber mounts. Spare wheel loose. Split rear back rests loose. Seat belt retractors. Get someone to sit in the back whilst you are driving to locate source easier. Or could be suspension bushes dry. Hose under rear of car and road test. If none of these, turn radio up or buy ear plugs!
Re: Chipmunks - markymarkn
lol the stereos plenty load enough to drown out the noise,

my dad suggested it could be the shocks. any way i can oil them or something?
Re: Chipmunks - richard turpin
I've had this twice, once on a Renault 4L and once on a Previa. Both times it was the bootlid catch which is metal on metal and gets dry causing a squeak. The cure is a little grease. Otherwise, anything which moves at the back. You have tried the pacel shelf with tape. If you don't want to use grease, try WD 40 or better still slicone spray as used on marine applications such as outboard motors. Try a good motor factor or marine chandler. Good luck.
Re: Chipmunks - T lucas
On an Astral that will be the rear shocks.
Re: Chipmunks - markymarkn
they're not vauxhall shocks though, its got spax supspension.

will this make any difference?
Re: Chipmunks - ladas are slow
when my dad had an old cavalier, he had the same noise, but it was the rubber surround on the hatchback. the rubber was so old, it was making strange noises ALL the time, it drove us all mad.
Re: Chipmunks - Darcy Kitchin
"it drove us all mad"

apparently

;-)
Re: Chipmunks - Dwight Van-Driver
Yet another sufferer on SHMBO's XR3i.
Defeated all my probes and padding until I took the top cover off the shocker strut. Checked the nut which was OK. Replaced the cover and loh and behold chatter had gone. I put it down to a WWII gremlin.
Re: Chipmunks - Dan J
Exact same problem on my Maestro which took me ages to figure out and it might be worth a look - The rear washer fitting was very slightly loose and whilst I couldn't make it make the noise when the car was stationary, tightening the little swine up cured the problem so another bit for you to look at!

Dan J
Re: Chipmunks - PhiL P
Had a similar problem on my Focus. Actually had an RAC engineer locate it sitting in the back whilst I was driving, as he was doing a vehicle examination for other reasons.

Turned out to be a piece of interior plastic trim that runs the length of the C-pillar, unfortunately there's no obvious cure (though it is intermittent at least)...

Good old Ford build quality, you get standard chipmunks in the back and a banshee wailing at you from the gearbox when in 5th...