Peugeot 306 LX HDI Estate fuel filter wh - KevR
I bought a Peugeot 306 LX HDI Estate (registered in April 2000) in March 2003 and, after a few months, it developed a loud
whistle that is coming from the fuel filter.

The whistling only starts several seconds after starting the engine. It sometimes stops whistling, but is mostly continuous.

I have recently replaced both the fuel filter housing and fuel filter, but the whistling still occurs with the replacement items.

I thought it may be caused by air in the filter housing, but I cannot find a way of bleeding it. I cannot find any "priming bulb" or bleed screws on my model. Therefore, I presume it is self priming and self bleeding.

(The only Haynes manual I could find for the Peugeot 306 only goes up to 1999 models, and mine is a 2000 model, which does not appear to be covered)

Does anyone know:
a) what is causing the whistle ?
b) is it necessary to bleed the fuel system on this model ?
b) how to bleed the fuel system on this model ?

Thanks
Peugeot 306 LX HDI Estate fuel filter wh - No Do$h
Moves to Technical

No Do$h - Alfa-driving Backroom Moderator
mailto:moderators@honestjohn.co.uk
Peugeot 306 LX HDI Estate fuel filter wh - David G.I.Davies
Kev,
You do not have to bleed the fuel system on the HDI engines.Fuel is supplied to the filter by a low pressure in tank pump(about 3 bar) and the system is entirely self bleeding.Failure of the in tank pump is extremely common and your whistling noise at the filter may be an indication that your tank pump is failing.