unreliable golf - howard
Is there anybody out there with an unreliable golf? I've been a VW owner for about 20 years and have always been quite happy with the build quality and reliability of the previous 5 vw's we've owned. My wife's three and a half year old 1.6 Golf (26k) has broken down twice in the last 4 or 5 months - both times a coil was the culprit, I've had the remaining two replaced now (£20 ea.) to lessen the risk of it happening again, are Golfs, or any other VW's, losing their reliable reputations?

Other "problems" have included the central locking malfunction, and an element in the rear window heater not working. We've had the car from new, serviced every year and the car was manufactured in Wolfsburg, are we just unlucky, or is there a new trend starting?
unreliable golf - P 2501
Nope, you weren't unlucky. All german manufactured cars have suffered a dip in quality over the last 5 odd years.

Look at Mercedes reliability. They really took a hit in the mid to late nineties. These companies trade on perceived quality but the fact is that they are not the flawlessly constructed,ultra reliable machines that some people like to believe.

unreliable golf - cub leader
when i took over my mums golf 3 years ago she bought herself a brand new one. hers was in the garage more times than my at the time 15 year old one in the first year
unreliable golf - Altea Ego
(standby for the VW trilogy)
unreliable golf - Stuartli
>>V(standby for the VW trilogy)>>

It had already started before you posted...:-)

The coils problem was due to faulty components from a supplier - most of them should have been weeded out by now and replaced, although I led to understand it was the 1.8 engine that was mostly affected.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
unreliable golf - BB
Coils and coil packs have always been a problem for VW. The plastic casings on older Mk 3 Golfs coil packs are not the best quality either. My 10 year old VR6 is on its third.
unreliable golf - Davey
I have a MkII Golf Driver, bought from new in 1989.It has 140k on the clock and has been a fantastic car, never let me down. I bought my wife a MkIV from a main dealer, one year old with 11k on the clock. It was a nightmare. One coil replaced. Car filled with water (Door membrane.)Peeling laquer. Noisy pumping with lights pulsing when parking. Kept it one year and bought Japannese.
unreliable golf - P 2501
Yep that sounds like a Mark IV!

Overrated,corpulent,dull to drive and surprisingly unreliable.

Classic VW traits then.
unreliable golf - Stuartli
As I keep saying, not in my case...:-)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by