Peugeot 106 diesel wont start when cold - Gambit
Been having problems with my 1995 1.5 diesel 106 not starting from cold. Was working fine and then one day it took 5 or 6 goes to get it started. Once it had started it was fine for the rest of the day. By chance it was due in for a full service & MOT later in the week so hoped that the service would cure it.

On the service the peugeot mechanics picked up a leak on the diesel cut off solenoid. They replaced it and everything worked fine for a day. Following day the problems returned.

Took it back and they decided that it might be the heater plugs. They replaced them (said one was completely shot at) and everything was fine again for a couple of days until the problem returned. Only has problems starting first time for the day - starts fine for the rest of the day. Engine idle speed varies when first started and sometimes the engine accelerates on its on when cold.

Eventually discovered that priming the fuel system gives much better results when starting. So I'm assuming there is an air leak in the fuel system somewhere.

Not sure where to go next as has already cost me about £500 for parts, labour, service and MOT on a car thats worth £1000 tops.

Any suggestions....

Nick
Peugeot 106 diesel wont start when cold - Big John
Probably a leak, (rubber injector scavange pipes/endcap?)

BUT, I knew of one Pug 106 1.5 Diesel that had this problem, every thing was tried (glow plugs, leaks, filters etc....). In the end it was traced to be the tappets, as the engine cooled some parts of the engine contracted at different rates leaving the tappets slightly open and the engine very short of compression. Turn the engine over using a socket to "feel" the compression, then compare to the same test on a warm engine.

Peugeot 106 diesel wont start when cold - Peter D
Most engines have a better compression ration then hot rahter then cold and the fact the rings ahve been oiled when it has been running. Fault sounds like typical air leak in filter housing, pipe work, or even the primer
An air leak wouldnt stop the engine starting but a fuel leak would. However tappets held slightly open when cold is a known problem with this engine.
Sorry , misread that. An air leak on the FUEL side would stop it starting aas the fuel would fall back to the tank.
I've had chance to have a look at the car now. There is air leaking into the fuel system from the fuel filter housing. When you prime the fuel using the ballon thing, diesel leaks out from the top of the fuel filter housing. It comes out from a recess on the top of the fuel filter on the inlet side - from what looks like a plastic cog held in by a special spring clip. I'm assuming that this is not normal.

In addition when the engine is running (after being primed a couple of times) occasional air bubbles can be seen in the line from the fuel filter to the fuel pump.

Any suggestions on what I can do about this?

Thanks,

Nick
Peugeot 106 diesel wont start when cold - madf
Buy a new fuel filter housing or get a good second hand one...

madf

Is it an easy job replacing the filter housing and how much would a second hand part cost aprox?

Thanks.