Passat Instrument Panel - Billsboy
Three times recently, the information panel (Average speed, fuel consumption, journey time etc) on my year old Passat has gone blank.
Each time, it has re-appeared after stopping and restarting.
The Dealer, of course, has not heard of this before and says bring it in when it next goes blank. but the chances of this hapening when I'm in the right area are remote.
Has anyone experienced this and if so what was the problem?
I know it's covered by warranty but they are unlikely to change it unless they see it for themselves.
Any advice welcome
Passat Instrument Panel - Halmer
I've just had mine replaced, I think (nearly three years old now) because the ambient temp was showing at -45 degrees.

This temp was also showing on the climate control panel as well which meant that the heat was on full blast all of the time when set at auto.

If they do replace it remember to take both sets of keys with you to the garage so that they can be reprogrammed at the same time. You will have to take the car and both sets back again else.

Good luck.
Passat Instrument Panel - midlifecrisis
I had this fault with my Passat, along with the instrument lighting repeatedly failing. It was an intermitent fault and I could never replicate it at the dealers. They eventually took the dash off. Big mistake, it rattled so much afterwards I sold the car.
Passat Insrument Panel - Billsboy
Thanks Halmer and Midlife.

I was worried about the reports I've read of rattling dashboards if they decided to replace the panel.
This is my third Passat and the first problem I've had.
It might pay to leave it, as apart from the three times it has gone blank, all the readings are correct otherwise.
Passat Insrument Panel - Halmer
I'm not aware of any rattle problems arising as a result of what they have done.

My dash, however, has creaked and groaned since the summer. I've squirted pretty much everything at it and even rammed a pair of old black socks between the dash and the windscreen to give me some relief.

Took them out only last week but it's as bad as ever one side I'm afraid.