Blasts from the past - SjB {P}
Having cleared out my home office for decorating, I spent some happy time last night reading two back issues of Motor Sport that I had rediscovered. (yes, the page numbers are correct, as they continue sequentially from issue to issue throughout a given year)

August 1986

Page 811 - Scimitar SS1. No, it doesn't look any more attractive now! What a truly gawky contraption.

Page 823 - Sierra 4x4 2.8i Estate. "...Those 150 horses must be all skin and bone." Chuckled.

Page 823 (again, but different article) - MG Maestro 2.0 EFi "...probably the best hot hatchback on the market." How times and perceptions change.

Page 825 - Rover 800 launch. "Of all the models launched during Austin Rover's long and painful haul back from the blink of oblivion..." Sorry, was that date really 1986?

Page 866 - British GP 13th July. 1st Mansell (maiden win), 2nd Piquet (+5.5 sec), 3rd Prost (+ 1 lap), 4th Arnoux (+2 laps), 5th Brundle (+3 laps), 6th Streiff (+3 laps), 7th to 9th (+3 laps), 10th Boutsen (+13 laps, unclassified), 11th to 26th DNF. Brought back memories (I was there, at the entrance to Druids).

Page 879 - Alfa Spider 2.0. Looks more attractive now than it did then, and certainly much nicer than the current offerings from this company. May be I'll like them too in eighteen years time?!

Page 881 - Skoda win Turkish rally. "A surprise win." (even more so cos it was in a rear engined 130LR (Estelle to you and me).

February 1989

Page 109 - Mansell tests new Ferrari for the first time. Photo backs up the print I have on the wall of Mansell passing Senna at the Hungaroring* that this was one of the cleanest and prettiest F1 cars ever designed. Shame it also wasn't one of the most reliable! *THE opportunist F1 overtaking manoeuvre of all time.

Page 143 - XJ-S V12 Convertible road test. After describing the model facelift changes: "Indeed, a recent court case revealed some XJ-S faking, early cars being refitted with recent bumpers and trim and resold as much newer vehicles." Naughty, naughty!

Blasts from the past - cheddar
I have got every issue of Autosport, 1984 to date, it's a wekly so a lot of mags, boxes and boxes full. Some intersting roadtests inthe 80's issues such as Delta S4, RS500, RS200 etc.