306 infra-red central locking sensor - danny k
My key fobs will not operate the central locking. I think it is the infra-red version ( correct me if im wrong - 1997 P reg xldt ).
I have replaced the batteries in the key fob thinking this may be the problem. However this has not fixed the problem. I have a spare fob which I have also tried the new batteries but still nothing.
Are there any tests I can do on the in car sensor?
306 infra-red central locking sensor - Dynamic Dave
Are there any tests I can do on the in car sensor?

No idea, however there is a test you can do to check the fobs are working. If they are the infra-red type, then either place them next to a portable radio turned to MW and you should hear series of bleeps coming from the loud speaker: or point the plips at a video / digital camera and you should see flashing coming from the LED on the screen.
Nice one Dave, I have tested the fobs using my mobile phones camera... the fob i was using no longer works but the spare emits a flash. Does anyone know if I have to re-programme the cars infra-red sensor to accept the different fob?
306 infra-red central locking sensor - SjB {P}
Earlier this week, I replaced the two batteries in my wife's 306 plipper, and found that it then didn't work. Batteries tested fine, but when I looked carefully, I found that in removing the old batteries I had snapped a tiny metal contact.

To try and describe:

The two batteries sit on top of each other in a spring loaded platic pouch. The inside top face of this pouch has a metal contact that completes the circuit by touching the negative face of the uppermost battery. I had snapped mine off when pushing the battery out with a jeweller's screw driver. All that remained was a tiny vertical stub of metal.

I resolved the problem by cutting away some plastic on the outside of the metal stub - so there was no danger of completing the circuit with only one (the lower) battery - so I could then solder a short wire to it. I then simply wedged the other, bare, end of the wire between uppermost battery and inner face of the pouch.

Job done.
Circuit complete, and plipper working.

HTH.
306 infra-red central locking sensor - SjB {P}
To add: The visible flash that these plippers give is simply to confirm that the button push you made has been recognised by the plipper. There is no feedback from the car, so if it doesn't flash, it simply means either that something is broken in the plipper, or the batteries are flat.
I have managed to get the spare plipper working... What I needed to do was "programme" the in car sensor to accept my spare plipper.
I was told to switch on the ignition and within 10 seconds point the new plipper at the infra red sonsor near the rear view mirror and press the button which activates the central locking... and hey presto the spare plipper now works.