Mercedes E240 - Mark (UK !!!!)
Damn but its cold in this country.

I need advice. Picked up the Avis rental, its an E240.

Damned heater doesn`t work. I stopped and got the coolant topped up, but although the heater isn`t cold, it certainly isn`t warm.

The car does not seem to be running excessively hot, the major pipes at the top & bottom of the radiator are hot and the pipes to the expansion tank are hottish.

Somebody told me there was a bleed valve somewhere. On the front of the radiator there is a vertical metal pipe which has a needle valve in it, looks like it is either for pressurising or beleeding something.

If this was my old mini, I'd be thinking airlock.

Before I trail all the way back up to Heathrow to get another one, has anybody got any advice ? Because I'd really prefer to be sat in the pub.

I'm off up the pub for some English beer, but I'll be checking in again soon.

Mark.
Re: Mercedes E240 - Dan J
I knew it, I KNEW IT! You just couldn't resist coming to HJ whilst visiting the UK. Almost fate that you got landed with a faulty Merc...
Mercedes E240 - David Lacey
Welcome to the UK Mark.

I take it the rented Merc is quite new? They usually are.

Suggest take it to the nearest MB dealer?
Suppose they won't be able to look at it until next week.......

Other than that, contact Avis and complain. You will need a decent heater!
Demand another car to be delivered to you at your convenience if it cannot be looked at in good time.

Who knows....the head could be cracked and you could loose all coolant on the motorway at night.......not nice.

Enjoy your beer!

David
Re: Mercedes E240 - peter
and when it looses all its coolant I wouldn't mind betting that Hirer Liability kicks in for not checking the coolant level at all times. Could be a cold long and expensive wait for a replacement car.

The evidence is here in black and white that you had already identified a coolant problem.....

PS Is it a proper E 240? Trade sales I think were knocking out ex Indian ones, Brand new previous shape for £13k, altho I guess Avis are all ok.
Re: Mercedes E240 - Mark (UK !!!!)
Actually I took David's advice and it was easier than I thought. They've bbrought another one to me.

That was easy.

btw, driving in this country is *such* a pleasure, whatever you lot think.

M.
Re: Mercedes E240 - Darcy Kitchin
Mark (UK !!!!) wrote:
> They've bbrought another one to me.
>

Shiver or typo?
Dan,

That's one of SAP's own mail servers you're using. Do you actually work for them ?
Nope - I am logged in to my own company mail which I'm using through a web browser (passes the time on boring course bits...). You never know though, maybe be working here one day!

Glad you're enjoying driving round the UK, try driving round Heathrow in rush hour for the "full" Uk driving experience...
Re: Mercedes E240 - Jonathan
I suspect he works for Georgia Pacific Company. A hardware lumber and pulp company.

Probably completely wrong thought.

Jonathan
That's the one!
Re: Mercedes E240 - Stuart B
Mark, don't turn up in the Merc to buy the bread machine as that will put a minimum of tenner on the price!
You would right that with swmbo looking over my shoulder !!

Guess what I've been told to make sure I buy.

I know you told me before, but could you make the product and shop recommendation again please. - searching with this naff link I've got takes absolutely forever.

M.
LG Electronics

www.lgelectronics.co.uk

gives you a model number HB-152CE and a dealer search facility based on postcode town whatever, tried on Slough (as in nr Heathrow) and got the bum's rush, but you might have better luck as you know where you are......then maybe not ;-)

Used to be on sale in Sainsbury's supermarkets, also noticed in their site faq's there is an answer on what to do at high altitude, they must have known you were visiting Mark!
Re: Mercedes E240 - David W
Mark,

Take great care not to tilt the UK economy with this wild expenditure on breadmakers.

Actually it's got us looking through the Argos book and thinking about one.

Wonder if you could do a coypu stew in one?

David
David, do they still have the coypu control bods loose round your way?

As I remember they used to troll around the rivers and dykes gun and traps at the ready.

Maybe its a solution to the middle lane owners club, which is the only way I can possibly get this on topic.

Stuart
You will realise it's still tough in The Fens Stuart. Many a family have been grateful for the odd coypu around Christmas when the turkey prices are high.

David
Re: Mercedes E240 - ladas are cool
all we have for christmas around our way is hamsters and gerbils, but not for eating, but for presents (thats what people say they are for, but i sometimes wonder??)
Seem to remember a song "All I want for Christmas is my two front teeth"

that might be pertinent, then again it might not. ;-W
Who else will own up to knowing that song Stuart I wonder?

David
Re: Mercedes E240 - john woollard
I stopped laughing when I remembered that we are going to David for Xmas dinner!
My mum uses one which makes fantastic bread but you HAVE to use a special type of yeast which is rarely mentioned in instruction manuals. If anyone has any difficulties let me know and I'll find out what it is!
Dan J wrote:
>
> My mum uses one which makes fantastic bread but you HAVE to
> use a special type of yeast which is rarely mentioned in
> instruction manuals. If anyone has any difficulties let me
> know and I'll find out what it is!

Dan,
Regardless of how good the product is it's still not safe to have a sarnie while on the M25 in an E240 or even in a Land Rover.

That might be for your machine, for ours the LG we just use the packets of dried yeast.
Sainsbury's version seems to give better results than Tesco's.
You can use fresh yeast but you have to take into account the liquid you use to get the yeast working as part of the overall mixture and its not so reliable.

Hmmm, wonder if Home delivery from Sainsbo's works as far as Brazil?
Supervisor might get killed in the rush by the couriers for that job methinks.

From LG's FAQ's page

Q: Is one kind of yeast better than the others?
A: No. But, we do recommend Bread Machine Yeast manufactured by Fleischmann's and other companies.
You can also use the yeast that comes in little packets. However, we do not recommend the Rapid-Rise yeast, or the yeast that comes in cakes or cubes.
Bread machine recipes are developed using powdered yeast, and that tends to work best with the mixing and kneading done in the machine.
I think you just answered what I was on about with the LG FAQ quote :-)

We'd tried it using the quick rise stuff and it doesn't enter the mixture properly - you do, as you say, need the powdered stuff in packets.

Bread that comes out of the bread machine is fantastic though don't do what my stepfather and I did on three occasions (it took that long to "learn"...) and eat the bread warm as it causes indigestion...

Surely you can mail order a bread machine, even in Brazil?!

> Surely you can mail order a bread machine, even in Brazil?!

Issue 1: 108% Import Duty on new value as deemed by customs.
Issue 2: Anything good is stolen by customs before it ever gets to you.
Ah - I see...
Before Mark posted issue 2 I was thinking of him at the customs desk in Brazil.

"And can you tell me what that is sir?"

"Just an LG Breadmaker" Mark replies.

"Can you open it up sir? What are those packets of white powder inside?"

"The special yeast" Mark mutters nervously.

Customs officer pulls out his diamond mounted biro (confiscated yesterday because the Brazillian diamont import quota had just been reached) carefully notes on his pad L-G B-R-e-a-d-m-a-k-e-r a-n-d y-e-a-s-t. He's a little grumpy anyway because those snakeskin cowboy boots seized last week (special regs on rare species articles you see) still pinch a little. Really he wanted larger than a size 9 but you take what you can get.

"Sir I think we need to hold you to discuss this a little more, of course if you were to forefeit the item then the case is closed......"

David
Re: Mercedes E240 - ladas are cool
sounds more like the french ;-)
Don't tell me about carrying packets of white powder through customs, however innocent it all was. Almost the only time I have ever found myself at the wrong end of a H&K. Thank God it was a civilised country!

Best after the watershed methinks that one!