Golf Mark V - adamj23
Does anyone know if VW have sorted any of the reliabilty problems of the previous Golf with the mark V?

I am tempted by one but I am put off by the many relibilty problems I have read about in the previous model.

Thanks
Golf Mark V - adamj23
Looking at the car by breakdown on this site I am guessing not!!!
Golf Mark V - Avant
The 1.8 T gave the Golf mark 4 a bad name because of problems with the coil. My last car was a TDI 115 bhp estate which apart from a detached rear washer pipe never missed a beat in 36,000 miles. Maybe something to do with being made in Germany: some hatchbacks are made in South Africa, perhaps not to the same standards.
Golf Mark V - HectorG
adam,I can't comment on the reliability of the Mk5 golf,although they drive well but are hideously expensive.

I have moaned about my experiences with Mk4 Golfs on this site before.In short, my GT TDi 110 bhp had in 2 years the following replacement parts:

cylinder head
engine
flywheel
ecu
alarm system
sunroof motor
several other minor items

Needless to say I would not go anywhere near VW/Audi products again.

Now a convert to Japanese, running Honda CR-V and Jazz.

I really think you can do a lot better than the Golf Mk5 for the money. If you are thinking of diesel I have always considered the VAG diesels very rough, with a very narrow power band giving an initial intoxicating 'shove' whose novelty soon wears off in normal use as so much gear-changing is needed. However,they are very economical.

The motoring press has finally realised that the VAG diesels are flawed and others such as PSA or Honda are much better!

Hope the above helps,even if a little negative

HectorG
Golf Mark V - Buster Cambelt
The VAG coil issue is over stated (again). It was a short term problem and, though painful for a while, was overcome a good while ago.

VAG build and reliability has become very patchy across the board, not just the Golf. Take, as I did, a last of the line "B5" A4 and a new "ugly" one and compare them closely. The B5 is built much better. It was also built better than the last (B6 I guess) A4. I have never been in a B5 that rattled and I have never been in a B6 that didn't

I guess it's too soon to tell how reliable the Golf Mark V will be but the 10000 km hire car that I have this week (yet another 2.0 diesel I'm afraid) is not wearing well at all, loads of creaks and rattles and plenty of evidence of poor fit and finish.

I wouldn't buy another VAG product - having had them for years on personal and business basis. This saddens me but you can do much better for the money these days.
Golf Mark V - ro
I've only done 900 miles so to soon to say for sure. Unaffected by any of the problems mentioned on the site here; in fact the only thing I could fault on delivery was the type pressures being two pounds over, and they were probably set on a colder day.
Get a slight click from the wipers, but probably me putting two much wash in. Otherwise no rattles, squeaks or faults.

One minor annoyance, the roof/windscreen junction is almost totally flat so when you drive off the first time after heavy rain you get a few rivulets down the screen the first time you brake.

Can't compare against the mark IV as didn't have one. I had a MKII I kept for 9 years, and a MKIII I had for 8, so skipping MK IV entirely.
It's strange how different sites have different model preferences. At the time I was looking a few months back you'd get the impression from this site that you'd be mad to buy a Golf, and from the What Car magazine and site that you'd be mad not to.

So far I'd definitely buy the same again. The rival that most impressed me was the Volvo S40 but the (then) 3 month delivery delay,no or minimal discount, and aesthetically wonderful but titchy-buttoned centre console put me off. Honda/Toyota didn't have a model that matched really (either too small or too big), and as new private buyer the depreciation scared me. Did look in the Lexus window but lay down till the feeling went away.

Golf Mark V - adamj23
Thanks for all the replies.

I have just seem a Mark V on the back of an AA truck on the motorway.....

I can't understand the pricing the Golf it seems really expensive compared with rivals and the equipment levels poor i.e. lack of a/c and alloys on base models.

For the same price as a new Golf I can get a 6 month old Honda Accord or Saab 9-3 which are a class above the Golf it is crazy!

So I think I shall be giving a Golf a miss.
Golf Mark V - ro
I think the pricing was always like that on Golfs. I remember thinking £5000 was a lot to pay for a new one many years ago, but it turned out a bargain. Whether that's still true, or whether I'm just financing a futile last stand of expensive European car manufacturing is another question.
Golf Mark V - kenl
You can get a discount on a VW so the prices are not as scary as they seem. With decent residuals compared to some rivals hopefully ownership costs will be similar or lower with a Golf.

Mine is excellent so far.
Golf Mark V - ro
It's one of those things you can argue either way isn't it? You can say it's outrageous that VW charge X+1500 for a car spec others sell for X, or you can say it's outrageous that some makes sell a car for X which will only be worth X/2 in a year or so.
Which pricing model suits depends on what age you want to buy, what discount you get, what age you want to sell and so on.
Golf Mark V - Martin Sweeney
Every day, I see 2 or 3 cars of every flavour on the back of tow trucks. It's not a great way to judge the reliability of a car.

I agree with the pricing comments above in that the price is what VW forecasts the market will bear. If it doesn't discounts will appear and specs will rise. IIRC the Accord was criticised for being overpriced in it's segment. Many happy Mondeo owners may think Accord prices crazy when you see what Mondeo you can spec up for Accord money. Likewise Vectra owners might struggle to justify the 9-3 premium. Some punters are attracted to certain intangibles and others aren't. If you don't like a car or can't justify the preium then you definitely shouldn't buy it.

FWIW, I know 2 Golf V owners who are both very happy, have had no issues and feel that they have traded up from their respective Corolla and Focus. They have have troubles ahead, they may not. The Golf certainly seems to be more than holding it's own in group tests, especially in the impressive 2.0tdi which I have driven.
Is there an "un" missing in that last sentence. I keep getting Golf V 2.0 TDis as hire cars and they have been universally horrible to drive.
Golf Mark V - P E
Whats so bad about the 2.0L diesel, Buster? I have never driven one and am unlikely ever to drive one, but I am curious as to why they are so poor in your opinion.
OK, to precis previous posts. They are VERY LOUD. They get caught off boost too easily and you have to drop two gears sometimes to get any sort of performance. Like all VAG diesels the pedals and steering wheel vibrate like mad. I hated the 1.9TDi A4 that I inherited from the previous incumbent of my role but it was markedly more refined than the 2.0.

I basse this on about 5000km of driving experience in most conditions.
Golf Mark V - daveyjp
Thats comparing apples with pears. For the price of a new Golf you could buy any type of car second hand. If you are prepared to pay for a six month old Saab or Accord why not buy a six month old Golf?
DIfferent people clearly look for different things from engines. The 2.0tdi is a great engine to drive. At idle it's not as smooth as my Alfa or for example, the V50, but the outright performance and flexibility is remarkable and undeniable. Have a look at UK MKIVS or Tyresmoke to see what owners have to say about the performance. I'm torn between this engine and the tfsi for my next car.
Golf Mark V - adamj23
I wouldn't buy a six month old Golf, because it would still ridiculously over priced.
>>I wouldn't buy a six month old Golf, because it would still ridiculously over priced.

I honestly don't know what prices they are fetching but they are only overpriced if nobody buys them and not because one individual can't justify paying the premium. If people are willing to pay, then it's testament to the Golf's residuals.

As I've said, depending on one's viewpoint, the same criticism could also be levelled at the Accord and the 9-3 and certainly at the new 1 series, non-ES 3 series and the A3. You can probably pick up a 18-24 month old 5 series for the price of a new Accord, but whilst IMO that's a hugely better car, it doesn't diminish the positive aspects of the new Accord.
Golf Mark V - felty
Assume the Golf V is built to past VW (high!) standards - why then do they only offer 12 months breakdown asistance for a new car, when Audi/Seat/Skoda all offer 3-year cover?
Golf Mark V - john deacon
golf is still a "badge of entry" or "fashion statement" amongst the barbour and wellie set, and this keeps its price above what it would otherwise command, i dont have a problems with this, its the free market in action, and these people have as much right to spend their money as they see fit as anyone, but its a car which is overpriced if you look at it rationally, but then its not the only car overpriced in such a way, you could say the mini is similarly a premium fashion statement overvalued if you look at it with you fashion filter specs on, and of course such premiums are always at the whim of fashion, and could drop quite quickly if the right people started slagging them off

as long as windsor is full of em, and the likes of william drive them, they will command a premium

of course you could always buy a corolla or civic instead

Golf Mark V - Rhubarb
VW to drop prices?

www.channel4.com/4car/news/news-story.jsp?news_id=...6

Andy
Golf Mark V - adamj23
Obviously they arn't selling well then priced as the currenltly are!

Golf Mark V - Imagos
My main critisism of Golf V is the floor mounted throttle.. awful.

Just because car is on a tow truck doesn't mean it's unreliable. I've dealt with cars that punters have put wrong fuel in, lost keys etc that have been relayed in.

I think the Golf V is a fine car (and i've driven lots)
Golf Mark V - oldgit
Thanks for your upbeat comments as I'm about to take delivery of my new MKV 1.6SE FSI Golf in the next ten days or so. I was very pleased with the test drive but of course realise that it is a long term assessment and reliability which is important.
Golf Mark V - Imagos
>>I'm about to take delivery
of my new MKV 1.6SE FSI Golf

Don't forget to use Super Plus unleaded 98 octane in a FSI engine (which happens to be more expensive than regular unleaded)
Golf Mark V - kenl
Good luck with it, same model I have and it is a superb car.

On the 98 RON fuel. The car will run on standard unleaded but the engine feels a lot smoother and perkier on the likes of Optimax. It will get more miles to the gallon & put out less emissions which are both better for the environment!
Golf Mark V - ro
This image seems to have persisted, despite the fact there are far more Golfs around than Sloane Rangers to fill them. The two Golfs where I work are driven by older ex-comprehensive boys; the ex-public schoolboys drive a Rav4 and a Vauxhall Tigra. Younger male state school educated employees seem determined to drive some sort of BMW, at whatever cost or age.
Relating badge snobbery to background has got very complicated.
Golf Mark V - Sofa Spud
>>Like all VAG diesels the pedals and steering wheel vibrate like mad. I hated the 1.9TDi A4 that I inherited from the previous incumbent of my role but it was markedly more refined than the 2.0.

They don't on my B4 Passat 1.9 TDI, which is 10 years old and has done 148,000 miles. Not like mad, anyway!

Cheers, SS
And they don't on my wife's 1.9tdi A4, nor on any other car that I've driven with this engine over 20k miles. The 2.0tdi is noticeably smoother again. Just last week I had a 2.0tdi A6 for a day and found in this incarnation noise and vibration to be even less noticeable than my Alfa.

Clearly people simply have different sensitivities and priorities in respect of automotive noise and if certain characteristics are not to their liking they should accept that the engine is not necessarily a dog, but is just not for them.

Let me tell you how I got rid of the A4 then. I lent it to me CEO for a couple of days, he told me it was so awful that he thought I might leave the company if he didn't replace it.

It was a wuffer and to be honest, every 4 pot diesel I have ever had the misfortune to drive has been the same - noisy uncouth and tiresome at any speed.

Golf Mark V - nortones2
We get predictable, very strongly felt, adverse remarks from BusterCambelt every time diesels are mentioned, but I haven't ever seen any measurements to compare noise in dBA. Some people may be intolerant of the low-frequency noises from diesels I suppose, but I'd guess that each have their strengths and weaknesses. Idle in my TDI was quite a bit louder than the current Honda, and the TDI also grumbled in first and second, but was soon quieter, at say 40, and from then on the petrol engine seems to be fussier as well as noisier, especially at main road/Mway speeds. Maybe Buster should try a 5 cylinder Volvo diesel - quite pleasant warble from the engine when I drove one last week!
Golf Mark V - quizman
Buster Cambelts remarks make me busterbloodvessel.
I am not going to tell you how delighted I am with my TDI Passat because I might be accused of being a badge snob.( Quite why VWs are snobbish is beyond me).
Yes adamj23 try a Golf Mk 5, I am sure you will like it.
Also you will feel superior to all those Alfa/Ford/Vauxhall drivers when you turn up at the golf club/supermarket etc.
Oh dear I think I have blown it.
Golf Mark V - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}
Buster Cambelt,
I've had three VW diesels, Merks 3 & 4 Golf plus current Passat.
Passengers have expresssed surprise that they were diesels.
Mine have not been loud or vibratory, on the inside at least.
I have driven a Transit diesel - that was something else.
--
I wasna fu but just had plenty.
Golf Mark V - Bagpuss
>>I haven't ever seen any measurements to compare noise in dBA

Let me put you out of your misery. From "Auto Motor und Sport", noise levels of VW Golf Mk5 models measured in dB(A). Noisiest seems to be the 1.6FSI:

1.4 16V
1.4 FSI
1.6FSI
2.0FSI
1.9TDI
2.0TDI

80km/h

100km/h

130km/h

140km/h

Golf Mark V - nortones2
Thanks Bagpuss. So at 100km/h, according to the table, the petrol 1.6 FSI is twice as loud as the diesel 2.0TDI, and the 2.0FSI is 2 dB(A) higher than the diesel. The caveat is that we don't know how rigorous and comparable the measurements are. Every 3dB(A) increase represents a doubling of sound pressure level, BTW. Above 100km/h, I'd guess wind and road noise predominate, so they are all pretty similar although the 1.4 seems to do well at 140km/h.
Golf Mark V - Stuartli
A diesel will almost certainly have a higher level of soundproofing measures than for a petrol engine. In actual fact the figures are quite good for a vehicle at speed.

Some recent Fifth Gear dB figures for small MPVs were much higher than these for the Golf MarkV, including the Touran.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Golf Mark V - Bill Payer
Assume the Golf V is built to past VW (high!) standards
- why then do they only offer 12 months breakdown asistance
for a new car, when Audi/Seat/Skoda all offer 3-year cover?

5 yrs on Seat. My daughter just got an Ibiza. They don't make much of a fuss about it, but I thought it was quite a valuable benefit.
Golf Mark V - Avant
I wish I knew why VW persist in offering their most powerful engines (petrol and diesel) only in GT specification. There would be a ready market for a 2.0 FSI and TDI in SE trim, which is usually about £2,000 cheaper.

Maybe there is a shortage of RHD cars?
Golf Mark V - Cardew(USA)
adamj23,
As you were tempted to buy a Mark V you asked a seemingly innocuous question about the "many reliability problems" of the previous model Golf. It would then appear that you read the car-by-car breakdown, guess that the problems have not been solved on the Mark V and posted to that effect within 3 minutes.

Having seen a Mark V on an AA truck, your subsequent posts confirm they are overpriced - and will be when 6 months old - are not selling well - and you will not be buying one.

One wonders why you were tempted in the first place; but your decisiveness is to be commended!

C
Golf Mark V - adamj23
I was tempted by the Golf as I like the looks.

I simply wanted to see if others thought and had heard about the Golf - which is what I thought the whole point of a motoring forum is.

I have to say the tone of your post Cardew has annoyed me, you don't happen to work for VW do you??
Golf Mark V - Mattster
I don't know why people get hung up on the purchase price - its only relevance is whether you can actually find the money/finance. The cost of ownership is the depreciation, pure and simple. If you spend £5k more on a Golf than an Astra but it depreciates by £3k to the Astra's £4k, then the Golf's the better buy (on a cost-only basis).
--
Mattster
Boycott shoddy build and reliability.