Landcruiser - 3.0TD or 3.4V6 - Chad.R
My head is trying to make the best of an argument that my heart has already won;

I've been hankering after a Landcruiser* (Colorado/Prado) for some time now and finally maybe about to give in to temptation. It will satisfy an almost child-like desire to own/drive one of these that I've had for several years - no rationality here I'm afraid. By the same token, it may not live up to my expectations and I might change after 6-12 months but I have to know......

I will probably only do about 6-8K per year and it will be used as family transport for longer journeys and some very occasional commuting. Probably the only off road excursions will be across a muddy/snowy field or track on our frequent trips/holidays to the Highlands.

I'm looking at 6-7 year old cars; main question is do I go for the 3.0 TD or the 3.4 V6 petrol?

The diesel is invariably dearer due to, I presume, higher demand and therefore will probably hold it's value better (and probably be easier to sell on if necessary). However, a similar age/mileage 3.4 V6 is not only usually much cheaper but also comes only in top-of-the-range "VX auto" spec. The premium for a diesel can be around 30% !

Given my relatively small annual mileage the extra fuel cost for the 3.4 V6 may not be that great, it's lower initial price and luxury spec are very tempting.....

Any first hand experiences and general comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Chad.

P.S. Before you ask, no, I do not need a 4X4 nor do I need 8 seats etc. - I just WANT a Landcruiser (and Discos, Shoguns etc. just dont do it for me).

P.P.S All warnings on how they drive and handle differently to "normal" cars have been received loud and clear. ;-)

I should've added that I know that regardless of whether I choose a diesel or petrol, a Landcruiser is going to cost bucket loads of money to run - servicing, parts etc. are all going to be expensive. Put it this way, think of it as a damage limitation exercise. :-)

Chad.
Landcruiser - 3.0TD or 3.4V6 - THe Growler
Good man. "WANT" is good enough.

My advice is get the biggest most anti-social guaranteed to annoy everyone else one that you can find and afford. If it ignites the I don't-like-'em-so-why-should-you-be-allowed-to-have-one syndrome from the eco-weenies that's their problem, not yours.

Make a statement. Do what you want to do, there are no pockets on a shroud and you're a long time dead.

(I am just about to revert to a similar status myself with a proper vehicle after a brief but intensely boring flirtation with an irritating buzz-box, having regretted dumping my V-8 truck and will shortly post some first hand experience and general comments.... :+) )

Landcruiser - 3.0TD or 3.4V6 - Mark (RLBS)
I've got the 3.4 petrol whereas a friend of mine has the 3.0TD.

Firstly the petrol is an awful lot more pleasant to drive - unless its towing, in which case his diesel is better at it.

I find the diesel quite agricultural and quite noisy.

The petrol is an extremely comfortable car and a joy on long journeys. I have done it with 7 adults and a child; obviously we were sensible about who sat where, but a journey to and from South Wales was no issue.

I've never found the petrol to be lacking in power, despite some of the [quite outrageous] things I've done with it.

It is a reasonably flexible vehicle and is really no issue in heavy traffic or confined spaces. Visibility is good all around the vehicle, although its easier reversing on the mirrors rather than trying to lean around.

I keep the 3rd row of seats in all the time, although they are usually folded up. Folded down then luggage space is limited - two suitaces is about your lot. However, the 3rd row is in two halves, and the second row is in two parts one third / two thirds so the level of flexibility is high.

The only issue is the fuel consumption. I can't say it bothers me, and in reality its no worse than some cars, but it is awful. But if that worries you, then don't get one at all, because the diesel ain't that much better.

I did see your comment, but to emphasise - it really isn't much like driving a car, and you need to remember that it can take quite a long time to stop, and they really don't go around corners very well.

Also remember that they make bumps possible, not comfortable. You can fly over a speed ramp, and the Landcruiser is capable of doing it without damaging itself. However you will be smashed into the roof, break your legs on the steering wheel and get your teeth shaken out. People have silly images of what these cars can do and the level of comfort they can do it with.

They can do pretty much whatever you want - but they aren't necc. comfortable while they are doing it.

And finally, you can be secure in the knowledge that you are winding up the sad-nose-in-every-body-else's-business-because-they-have-no-life-of-their-own-PITA-fools just by driving down the road.
Landcruiser - 3.0TD or 3.4V6 - T Lucas
Great vehicle petrol or diesel,i always seem to get the diesel version but would prefer to drive the petrol,servicing and parts need not be expensive,just requires some thought,as ever change the cambelt and i would also have the coolant flushed and changed to be on the safe side.
If you can buy the petrol engine that much cheaper,thats got to be the one to go for.
All mine are Prados from Japan.
I think the Petrol is starting to look the favourite.
Thanks for all your comments and "support" - not that I needed much encouragement! ;-)

Just to respond to a few points;

Growler,
I was initially considering the 4.2TD/4.7 V8 version of the series 100 Landcruiser, so you could say I've chickened out by getting the smaller version! Look forward to reading about your new truck.

Mark,
Always great to have some first-hand experience, thanks. Re: MPG, I'm expecting around 15mpg around town but up to mid 20's on a m'way cruise from the 3.4 - how realistic is that? I think the 3.0TD will only give an advantage of around 5-6mpg. Recently I've adopted a "calm & unhurried, I-dont-care-if-I'm-late" attitude to driving and hopefully wont be testing the laws of physics with the LC. Incidentally, I learnt to drive in was a LWB Land Rover pickup (amongst others cars), though that was admittedly almost 20 years ago, so I may have some re-learning to do - hope the LC's brakes are better!!

T.Lucas,
Yes, I'll need to look into servicing options - on the V6, I think the cambelt is every 60K so I'll need to check if it's been done. Good point about the coolant.

Thanks again,
Chad.
Landcruiser - 3.0TD or 3.4V6 - nick
If you can afford the fuel, go for the petrol, Chad. There's nothing to beat a big vee engine in a 4x4. I used to have a '79 Chevrolet Blazer with a 5.7 V8, 13mpg at best, 30-35 gallon fuel tank IIRC. It cost £50 to fill up which shows how long ago it was. Hellish good fun though.
>I'm expecting around 15mpg around town but up to mid 20's on a m'way cruise from the 3.4 - how realistic is that?

Quite realistic. Harsh if anything. £65 to fill the tank from dry - worst case 300 miles, best case 480 miles. Work it out from that. I've never worked it out on the basis that I almost certainly didn't want to know.

The brakes are excellent and you have a lot of rubber on the road, but its a lot of weight to stop.

Braking is part of it, what it does on a corner is another. Particularly if one tries a roundabout too fast when going straight on - car leans right as you enter a roundabout, leans left as you go around it and then leans right again as you come out. That kind of movement can make life very very interesting if you're moving too fast.

I have had the tail of the landcruiser out on a bend; don't do it, its not funny. There's a whole lot of power you can pour into the back wheels and on a slippery surface it can get lively.

4WD is easy to use and to switch in and out. But life has got to get pretty aggressive before you'll need it. And diff lock ! I've only used it once when the car had sunk onto its axles. It'll move, but don't get too heavy with the throttle.

Normal servicing seems to be around the £250 mark, but every now and again you get a nasty one.

Tyres are a horrible price, but you can save quite a lot by shopping around - which you'll need to do anyway because nobody ever has them in stock. I find it gets through brakes quite quickly - 20k or so at best. The current tyres have been on there for 30k odd and there's plenty of life left in them, so its not like I'm being hard on the vehicle.

>>hopefully wont be testing the laws of physics with the LC.

If you do, I assure you that they will win.

Overall its quiet, powerful, capable, very spacious inside, well equipped, very reliable and , other than fuel, cheap to run.

I love it. And so does my wife.
Quite realistic. Harsh if anything. £65 to fill the tank from
dry - worst case 300 miles, best case 480 miles. Work
it out from that.

The specs say the LC has a 90l tank but lets assume that £65 buys around 80l petrol these days (@80p per l), then that works out around 17mpg at worse case and almost 28mpg at best - I can live with that.
The brakes are excellent and you have a lot of rubber
on the road, but its a lot of weight to stop.
Braking is part of it, what it does on a corner
is another. Particularly if one tries a roundabout too fast >> when going straight on - car leans right as you enter a
roundabout, leans left as you go around it and then leans
right again as you come out. That kind of movement can
make life very very interesting if you're moving too fast.

I have visions of car sick rear seat passengers projectile vomitting down the back of my neck - not good; I'll certainly slow down for the bendy bits.
4WD is easy to use and to switch in and out.

I thought the car was permanent 4WD - or are you referring to low-ratio?
But life has got to get pretty aggressive before you'll need
it. And diff lock ! I've only used it once when
the car had sunk onto its axles. It'll move, but don't
get too heavy with the throttle.

I've heard that you shouldn't use diff locks, not that you need to, on normal tarmac. Can you (or anybody else for that matter) please explain why?
Normal servicing seems to be around the £250 mark, but every
now and again you get a nasty one.

I was budgeting around £400 for servicing and hopefully with my mileage, it'll only need servicing once a year. I know about "nasty" ones - I currently run an Omega 3.0 elite and previously had a BMW 535 for wallet shrink testing !! :-)

Overall, pretty positive stuff - it's looking good!
Thanks,
Chad.
Landcruiser - 3.0TD or 3.4V6 - T Lucas
Tyres from a good wholesaler like Micheldever Tyres should be around £200 for 4,depending on brand,i allways have Khumo fitted(best price)They do seem to last for a good mileage.
Landcruiser - 3.0TD or 3.4V6 - Number_Cruncher
I've heard that you shouldn't use diff locks, not that you need to, on normal tarmac. Can you (or anybody else for that matter) please explain why?

Once you have locked each wheel to turn at the same speed, the only thing you can do on tarmac without lots of slip and putting lots of stress into the drivetrain is go straight on. In essence, you would wear out your tyres, and put excessive stress on the drivetrain, and reduce the steering effect of the front wheels - very bad news!

Off road conditions allow tyre/mud slip to happen at lower drive torque, so you don't notice the problem.

number_cruncher
thought the car was permanent 4WD - or are you referring to low-ratio?

I've had three; and all three were switchable with normal drive to the rear wheels only.

4WD for mud or slippery conditions

Low Ratio and Diff Lock when you're upto the axles in something slippery and intending to drive at 10mph or less.

LR & DL are rarely used; a couple of times on a beach, a couple of times in mud and a few times in serious snow. 4WD I use from time to time on mud/snow or generally slippy conditions.

Don't forget, it will go better than a 2WD car, but *all* vehicles use 4 wheels for braking.
Landcruiser - 3.0TD or 3.4V6 - NARU
P.S. Before you ask, no, I do not need a
4X4 nor do I need 8 seats etc. - I just
WANT a Landcruiser (and Discos, Shoguns etc. just dont do it
for me).

I've no problem with that as long as you don't tailgate me! I used to drive a Shogun and know the extra distance they take to stop!
Two things happened last week;

1) I was in the Landcruiser and some prat in a Clio was tailgating me. So close I couldn't even see him in the rear view mirror. Was he trying to intimidate me ? Very strange.

2) I was in the Galaxy and another prat in a Discovery was so close I couldn't see his headlights.

What is it with these people ?

I know there are prats in all types of cars, but do there really have to be so many of them ?
Landcruiser - 3.0TD or 3.4V6 - NowWheels
I know there are prats in all types of cars, but
do there really have to be so many of them ?

Blame it on seat belts and airbags.

Natural selection is being prevented from working its magic.
Chad,

I don't know what area you're in, but if it is around Warwick/Leamington/Oxford then you're welcome to have a play with mine before you splash out on one.

It'll cost you a pint, though.

Mark.
Thanks for the offer Mark, thats very generous of you.
I've actually got a test drive lined up on a 3.4 V6 this weekend - I can't wait, just hope it lives up to my (high) expectations!

Thanks again.
Chad.
P.S. FWIW, I'm in Watford.
Croxley Business Park would be my office in Watford, and I'm down there next week.
I'll see how the test-drive goes this weekend. If it falls through, I may be in touch......

Cheers,
Chad.
Probably not the best day to announce this, seeing some of the threads but........I've finally taken the plunge and got myself a 6yr old/80K Landcruiser Colorado 3.4 VX.

I've only driven it for around 100 miles so far but its not as big as I imagined and actually easier to park and manoeuvre than my Omega due to the better all-round visibility - you can see where all 4 corners are.

The rolling/pitching isn't bad at all considering how high the CoG is and I find the handling (at reasonable speeds) perfectly acceptable and secure. It's certainly a very comfortable, quiet and effortless cruiser in the mould of my Omega, though I must admit that the seats in the Omega are marginally better - bigger, offering more support and adjustment.

Still getting to know the car and some of it's little follies, one (or 2) of which seem to be the running boards - they seem quite slippery even when dry, I ended up testing the front grab handles and can vouch that they are strong enough to hold 180lbs of deadweight!

The Wife loves it, though she has yet to figure a way of gracefully getting in and out and actually wants to have drive (gulp!). My 2 young daughters are as excited as I've ever seen them over a "new" car.

A 1800 mile/14 day round trip to Aviemore/Inverness over the Christmas-New Year period should give us time to get to know each other quite well......can't wait!

Chad.

P.S. - The car doesn't have bullbars and I have absolutley no intention of fitting any either.

P.P.S - Why is "L a n d c r u i s e r" a swear word?
>>P.P.S - Why is "L a n d c r u i s e r" a swear word?

I'm guessing I know. I edited one of No Dosh's notes and changed the word Alfa to A*** - he's not all that bright and probably assumed that I'd added Alfa to the swearfilter and so did the same to Landcruiser.

I've taken it back out now.
Landcruiser - 3.0TD or 3.4V6 - No Do$h
I'm guessing I know. I edited one of No Dosh's notes
and changed the word Alfa to A*** - he's not all
that bright and probably assumed that I'd added Alfa to the
swearfilter and so did the same to Landcruiser.

Bright enough to decide to go one better and actually put Landcruiser in the swearfilter.
all-round visibility - you can see where all 4 corners are.

Mmm, mostly. Going straight back, if like mine you've got the spare wheel on the tailgate, is an act of faith. Also, when on full lock the front wings overhang the wheels more than you might expect.
is and I find the handling (at reasonable speeds) perfectly acceptable

Just don't get silly with it, especially on short 'S's
follies, one (or 2) of which seem to be the running
boards - they seem quite slippery even when dry, I ended

Mine have some sort of grip surface on them. I'll check, but it didn't look especially after market.
The Wife loves it, though she has yet to figure a
way of gracefully getting in and out

Getting out;

Sitting on sit, turn 90 degress with legs together, straighten legs and you will slide off the seat onto the floor feet first.

Getting in;

Hold OF grab handle, stand on running board, turn round and slide in bum first. Then turn 90 degrees.

Its always a difficult decision as to whether or not to tell a pretty female in a short skirt the right way to get in and out or not.

>and actually wants to have drive (gulp!).

Bad decision. I rarely get to drive the Landcruiser these days and normally have to make do with the Galaxy.

Landcruiser - 3.0TD or 3.4V6 - daveyjp
Now treat yourslef to a few days in Dubai and go and see how someone with a few years experience can handle one of these beasts (admittedly a 4.4 V8 variety) over 200 foot sand dunes!!

Surprisingly, slamming the gearbox in to first at 30 mph as you try and get over the top of a dune won't break it and 70mph up and down soft sand is quite possible!!
Its always a difficult decision as to whether or not to tell a
pretty female in a short skirt the right way to get in and out
or not.

The italicised adjective rules me out of any need on my part for that training, but I'm told that young ladies' finishing schools now include training in how to get in and out of a 4X4 or other high vehicle.

Given the proliferation of these vehicles, I'm sure it'll be on the national curriculum soon ...
>>but I'm told that young ladies' finishing schools now include training in how to get in and out of a 4X4 or other high vehicle.

I think you will find that finishing school training has ALWAYS included training on how to get in and out of any car. (knees together, swing the hips, lower the feet and slide). In addition, prior to cars, it contained much advice on the correct way to ride both carriage and horse including the mounting on and dismounting from ones chosen form of transport.

I think you will also find that a more normal car, in which one is sufficiently low that ones knees are higher than ones hips when seated, have always proved a greater challenge to a lady's modesty than a larger, higher vehicle.
I think you will find that finishing school training has
ALWAYS included training on how to get in and out of any car

I stand corrected (or rather, sit)
think you will also find that a more normal car, in which
one is sufficiently low that ones knees are higher than ones
hips when seated, have always proved a greater challenge to a
lady's modesty than a larger, higher vehicle

With the optimum technique (and suitable handholds), I find the low vehicle easier in a tight skirt; climbing into a high one is very hard to manage if leg movement is restricted. The easiest combination is a highish seat, but a low flooplan, as in an MPV.

YMMV :)
>>climbing into a high one is very hard to manage if leg movement is restricted

That would be a challenge to your agility and elegance, whereas a low vehicle is more likely to be a challenge to your modesty.

For getting into a high SUV type, never do it with handbag in hand until you have the hang of it. However the knack would be to reach for the grab handle with what would be intuitively the wrong hand, step up onto the step with the same [wrong] foot and swivel your bottom around.

So in a UK car, walk up to it, grab the handle with your right hand, rather than left, step up onto the running board with your right foot, and then swivel your bottom in while ducking your head.

The temptation would normally be to grab the handle with your left arm, which will then prove not to be long enough as you twist causing you to have to let go and fall back into the car, or to step up with your left foot and you will find that you are unable to lift your right leg sufficiently high enough to go between your standing [left] leg and the seat causing a bit of a tangle.

Its probably better that we don't go into how I can be so sure that I am correct.
Landcruiser - 3.0TD or 3.4V6 - PhilW
or wear trousers!
P.S. Thank goodness you can't post pictures on this site!! Otherwise I could get into serious trouble from SWMBO!
Landcruiser - 3.0TD or 3.4V6 - Dynamic Dave
For getting into a high SUV type, never do it with
handbag in hand until you have the hang of it.

Tis true. Last time I saw Mark he asked me to hold his handbag for him while he got in his Crusier ;o)
Landcruiser - 3.0TD or 3.4V6 - PhilW
Did anyone ask why you needed two handbags??!!
Landcruiser - 3.0TD or 3.4V6 - Ex-Moderator
So Chad, how are you getting on with it ?
Really well, thank you.

I've done about 3k since I bought it, which includes a 2week/2k holiday in the Highlands over Xmas/New Year. Overall it's been really good, certainly different but good.

I find the high driving position really makes for relaxed driving - you can usually see any potential hazard well in advance. I also tend to drive the LC slower than my other "normal" cars, which can't be a bad thing........ and though she initially threatened, my wife hasn't yet attempted to drive it, which is definitely a good thing. As for both my daughters, it still hasn't lost it's novelty value and they want to go everywhere in it. Most importantly, it never fails to brings a smile to my face.....and it's any excuse to drive it. :-)

As far as costs are concerned, they have been pretty much as I expected - the first service which I had done a few days after buying the car was around £500 (but that was a "major" service and at a Toyota main dealer). The fuel consumption, again is as expected, between 22-25mpg depending on journey type. For example on our Highland trip, I kept to a steady 70mph (on cruise) almost all the time whilst on the m'way and got around 25mpg. Shorter journeys on A/B roads I still see around 23mpg. I haven't done many urban trips in it but I would imagine they will dent my average quite badly.

I actually did do some off-roading on holiday, I lost my nerve well before probably even 50% of the car's ability......though in my defence I didn't want to bend/break the family transport whilst on holiday!

As I have never driven the 3.0TD I can't compare but the 3.4 is certainly a very refined car, OK, maybe not as quiet as my Omega for example but certainly miles ahead of SWMBO's Yaris. Long distance journeys are a pleasure. Though a criticism would be that the front seats need longer seat cushions to provide more under-thigh support.

Also, the rear door (which is quite hefty) could do with a locking mechanism that allows you to keep it held open at various angles rather than the one "fully-open" position currently provided. If on an incline and the door isn't "locked" open be very very careful!!

With the departure of the Omega fairly imminent, I may have to change my moniker to "Toyota Family" ;-)

Chad.

Landcruiser - 3.0TD or 3.4V6 - Jim M
Agree with you Guys - Landcruisers are the excellent. I am at present drilling a well in Yemen, all Oil Companies and service companies use them here and I guess it's the same throughout the middle east. These machines get hammered on desert tracks and just keep going. The local village blocked our access road 4 days ago so the deal is we have to rent local Landcruisers so I've just inspected 2 tonight and 3 more tomorrow. We requre full roll cage fitted and vehicle to be roadworthy the two tonight were 5 yrs old and everything was in order, which is testement to their build quality. All expats have to have one other "extra" - a guard with an AK 47. First time I came to location I was nervous enough with a guard and gun, then my driver got out and retrieved his AK 47 which had been jammed between his seat and transmission tunnel, adds a whole new dimension to the auto or manual transmission option!!
As an aside we were running low on diesel so my driver just flagged down a fuel truck and filled up.....try that in the UK
Cheers
Jim