Part time trading and Road Tax - Pad
Good morning everyone,

I have recently started trading part time as I enjoy the experience of buying/selling and naturally I am trying to supplement my full time income... have made a few mistakes but I am learning and enjoying it as well.

I do have a query regarding the road tax though.... how can I get a car taxed without having my name on the V5. I have traders insurance (naturally) which states I am insured for any vehicle but my understanding is that you need the logbook in your name? Is there anyway around this?

I look forward to your responses,
Pad
Part time trading and Road Tax - AN Other
Don't think the V5 has to be in your name. Pretty sure I've taxed cars which weren't registered to me personally. Maybe things have changed?
Part time trading and Road Tax - Dwight Van Driver
If you use the keyword DVLA, then at that site bring up vehicles and Licensing. Heap of info there.

Further, why not speak with your local LVLO, and get things from the horses mouth.

Also read the Regulations on change of ownership that appertains to traders at:

www.tinyurl.com/94g9

DVD
blimey, thats going to take some reading tonight...

Thanks for the link,
Pad
Part time trading and Road Tax - king arthur
As far as I know, it is not possible. There are only two ways you can tax a car you have in stock. Either put your name on the V5, or when you sell the car, ask the buyer for his insurance certificate, and tax the car in his name. If anyone knows any other way, I'd be interested to read it.
Part time trading and Road Tax - Mark (RLBS)
I'm not sure.

I think that you have to prove that the vehicle is insured, I don't think it has to be insured by the registered keeper (bearing in mind that is not the owner).

I think I know where to check so I'll have a look later if DVD or PU haven't shown up.
I didnt get a chance to have a look at the link in depth last night..

Due to me being part time, I have no premises (cars are parked on HM Highway!) so waiting until a buyer comes and then taxing it for them is not really an option.

I have been told one way of doing it but it is a fiddle and I would like to do this properly... I cannot believe that there is no legal and correct way to do this..

Thanks for your comments,
Pad
Part time trading and Road Tax - martint123
Most traders have their own property to display cars. If they need to be test driven then they use trade plates.
Part time trading and Road Tax - jreg
And most dealers sell cars with new tax, or at worst offer to tax the car for you at your expense.

So it must be possible to tax cars under trade insurance?
Part time trading and Road Tax - MarkSmith
>And most dealers sell cars with new tax, or at worst offer to tax the car for you at your expense.

When a friend bought a new car recently, he had to take his insurance docs to the dealer so that they could get the tax.

-Mark
Part time trading and Road Tax - blue_haddock
yep thats what we do - you buy a car from us and prior to delivery give us the insurance certificate so we can tax it on your behalf.