Volvo S80 - volvotrier
Two problems. An item is rolling around underneath the auto gearlever binacle in my 2.9 S80 (2000 year); in what order are the trim pieces removed to lift the covers and inspect the area?
Since no Haynes manual is published for the S80 can anyone recommend an alternative please or a source for an equivalent CD?
All answers much appreciated thank you.
Volvo S80 - SjB {P}
From what I have read at www.volvospy.com (where you may choose to get a second opinion if none here?), I recall that the gear lever surround simply snaps on/off. Note that if you end up taking the climate control panel off (Torx bolts are exposed by removing the lower blanking plate/pen holder), do NOT pull it out far enough to disconnect the wiring. If you do, you will have a trip to the dealer to suppress the SRS warning caption that will then be given.

The head unit is actually made by Mitsubishi if you want to search the web for a replacement. It is a custom fit item for Volvo though, and I don't believe that anybody else makes one that will fit directly. You can however buy converter plates that allow the S80 to take any standard DIN fit head unit. Here is one example that I found, though I'm sure your local car ICE stockist would be able to help, too: www.digitalfotoclub.com/sc/product-features.asp?id...4

Volvo S80 - volvotrier
Thank you; you were correct about the panel around the gear lever and I luckily spotted the offending item-a small battery. Do you know how to remove the crankshaft pulley on the 2.9 please? It looks to be held by 4 screws so that if I hold the crankshaft by the centre bolt then I should be able to release the 4 screws but room is tight and in the absence of a workshop manual it would be nice to know if the belt pulley ( for alternator etc) generally falls off at that stage. A Volvo mechanic told me that the belt should slip off but it definitely does not; at the bottom edge of the pulley, engine fitments (metal) produce a gap too small to fit all but a rubber band.