Engine/water clearly don't mix - rhino
Hit a deep puddle yesterday in my XC90, causing a bow wave of water over the car and clearly into the engine bay. A few seconds later the engine got sluggish and a 'Service needed' warning came up on the instrument panel.
I stopped a mile or so up the road, let the engine idle, then switched it off. The warning notice had gone, but the engine was sluggish for another mile or so until all became well again.
No problems at all today; should I be concerned?
Can anyone help with this one?
Engine/water clearly don't mix - Dynamic Dave

More than likely you soaked the electrics (HT leads/dizzy cap {if it has one}/etc) which is why it started runnin like a washing machine full of lard.

If it's running fine now, without any warning lights appearing, then I wouldn't worry about it.

Engine/water clearly don't mix - Adam {P}
I'd be tempted to agree with Dave....yes - I did say that ;-)

That is of course following my "if it ain't broke don't fix it" philosophy.

How would you know what you've fixed if nothing is wrong now?
--
Adam
Engine/water clearly don't mix - Civic8
As DD said..I suspect if water had got into inlet motor would not run..Looks like lucky escape.
--
Steve
Thanks all. Relieved, but shows that an XC90 ain't in the category of proper 4X4; clearly my fault for misinterpreting the depth and hitting it at speed, but I would have thought it would have coped with that....
Engine/water clearly don't mix - Schnitzel
Could be the aircleaner got soaked with water and became restricted, I would replace if there are signs it was wet, as the filth could have formed a screed over it.
The air intake is a downward-facing nozzle protected by the lip of the bonnet; I suppose water could have become ingested, but what is the likelihood of this?
Still struggling to come to terms with this happening to a vehicle with some degree of off road capabilty and therefore implied protective capabilty in this area.
Water ingestion would lock the cylinders..As you are still going strong have no fear. Assuming all is still ok. No further checks need to be made..Happy motoring.
--
Steve
The air intake is a downward-facing nozzle protected by the lip of the bonnet;
I suppose water could have become ingested, but what is the likelihood of this?

As Steve.o says, if the engine had ingested water it would have hydraulic'd the engine. Fluids don't tend to compress. A mate of mine sucked water up into his diesel Astra a few yrs ago after driving through a ford too fast - resulting in 2 bent con rods.

As Schnitzel suggested, it might be worth checking the air filter.
Thanks for all this, mind at rest!
>>Fluids don't tend to compress

Err sorry DD fluids dont compress..full stop. not don`t tend to..sorry to correct
--
Steve
Err sorry DD fluids dont compress..full stop. not don`t tend to..sorry to correct

::Sulk::

And I thought I was the only pedantic one here ;o)
Engine/water clearly don't mix - Cliff Pope
I think for peace of mind I'd want to check that there wasn't water still lying in the air filter box or pipework, apart from checking the element itself.

I think it's a disgrace that an off-road 4by4 (if that is what it is) can't cope with a big puddle.
I looked at an Electricity Board LandRover Defender yesterday. Its air intake was a pipe mounted on the windscreen pillar, inlet about 8 feet off the ground. There were steel sump and transmission guards underneath, and an enormous winch on the front bumper with a drum of half inch steel cable. The only limiting factor would be whether the driver's head was still above water!
Engine/water clearly don't mix - Aprilia
>> Err sorry DD fluids dont compress..full stop. not don`t tend
to..sorry to correct
::Sulk::
And I thought I was the only pedantic one here ;o)

In fact fluids *do* compress. For hydraulic fluid and for water its about 1 volume % per 100 bar.
This is an issue in high-pressure hydraulic systems (like Citroen) and in fast hydraulic servo systems (e.g. flight and driving simulator systems).

Pretty amazing that an XC90 should be laid low in this way though - mind you, it is very much a 'lifestyle' car, I suspect.
Thanks Aprilia. I stand corrected..Apologies DD
--
Steve