any tips on cold start diesel problems - globglob
Hi - Can anyone give me a few things to check for improving the start on my 405 Turbo Diesel.
It has done over 200,000 miles and I suppose now starting to show its ex-taxi history. when runing it is beutiful it is just on start up it helds a little stroking.
It takes a long time cranking before the engine gradually takes over the speed of the starter moter, chug chugging before firing into life with a lot of smoke.

Is the engine wearing out? can I extend it dying life by serviving or replacing anything here. is there anything I can test?

In other topics I have read about tappets, glow plugs but what about changing any filters?
cheers folks

any tips on cold start diesel problems - gingerwinger
i have just had the same problem with mt astra turbo diesel. i changed the glow plugs and had the valves checked. needed 3 shims replacing. now it starts first turn of the key..
any tips on cold start diesel problems - cheddar
Most likely glow plugs need replacing.
any tips on cold start diesel problems - bikemade3
If it was slow to start when the weather was warmer then i,d think battery or starter motor, however if it has only occured during this cold snap then replace the glowplugs. Mu Mondeo was starting fine untill last Sunday ( first frost )and refused to start i have since replaced all 4 plugs with NGK items from local motorfactor and since then the car has started first time.
any tips on cold start diesel problems - globglob
thanks for the response guys - looks pretty conclusive - glow plugs need replacing, ta again
any tips on cold start diesel problems - PhilW
And if that doesn't work check the glowplugs relay. On my old BX this went and was not giving the glowplugs time to warm up. I'll stand correcting but you should hear it click on for about 7 seconds, then glowplug light goes off, then you start it and the relay should click off after about another 7 seconds. Easier to check with bonnet up, you listening and someone else doing the starting. My relay wasn't working - new one about £40 from main dealer (expensive?) and took about 10 mins to replace. On BX it was bolted to nearside front wing - blue box about 3 ins long.
any tips on cold start diesel problems - Quinny
Ditto the relay.

When I had my Cavalier 1.7td,the glow plug relay went,and it was a dealer part,although not too expensive at £23+vat.

On the Cav,it's located behind the driver kick panel,up in the bodywork.Fairly easy to get at though.

Ken.
any tips on cold start diesel problems - m1pete

Here's a good tip to cold start an engine. spray air freshener or anti-perspirant spray into the air intake when starting from cold. anything like that that's got the flammable sign on the spray can.

It might sound suppid but it works, I've started engines for years with it.

any tips on cold start diesel problems - focussed

Here's a good tip to cold start an engine. spray air freshener or anti-perspirant spray into the air intake when starting from cold. anything like that that's got the flammable sign on the spray can.

It might sound suppid but it works, I've started engines for years with it.

Don't you bother finding out why they won't start first?

I wonder why manufacturers don't include a can in the tool kit?

any tips on cold start diesel problems - 3puddings

The AA and RAC have both used a can of something to get my car restarted, so it can help get you to wher youn need to go but its not something I would do as a long term fix

any tips on cold start diesel problems - dan86

We had a old iveco lorry that would only start on easy start spray I think the fitters used it so much the engine must of had an addiction to it.

any tips on cold start diesel problems - focussed

We had a old iveco lorry that would only start on easy start spray I think the fitters used it so much the engine must of had an addiction to it.

In a manner of speaking they do get addicted to the stuff because it leads to cracked piston rings which makes the starting even harder which leads to more easy start etc etc.

any tips on cold start diesel problems - Brit_in_Germany

Since the thread is nine years old, I expect the car has long gone to the scrappie.