A-series gearboxes - Chris S
This is really a continuation of the 'gearbox oil' thread but I couldn't find it since I last logged in.

How did BMC get away with using the same oil (20w50) in the mini gearbox?

And what would happen if I tried to top-up my K-series metro gearbox with 10w50?
A-series gearboxes - none
Lots of manufacturers from the BMC era filled their gearboxes with engine oil. The mini was a bit different as the same oil was used for the engine. Like modern FWD cars it didn't have hypoid diff gearing so EP oil wasn't needed.
I don't know if you could top up your gearbox with engine oil, I would think so unless the gearbox is filled with some sort of special high tech synthetic stuff. (It might affect synchro operation though)
A-series gearboxes - Dynamic Dave
Lots of manufacturers from the BMC era filled their gearboxes with engine oil.

As do motorbike manufacturers, even now.
A-series gearboxes - Quinny
You would be better off topping your gearbox up with EP80 or EP90.I would imagine that is what it came out of the factory with.

Unless you have a serious leak on the gearbox,which would warrant further investigation anyhow,you aren't going to need much to top it up,so buy a 1ltr bottle from your local motor shop,and stick to the recommended lubricant as recommended from the manufacturer.

Having just recently given up racing Mini's,in favour of something else,I used Valvoline 20/50 in my engine,which was the grade that should really be used in the A series.Some people use thinner oils,but the gearbox doesn't get proper lubrication then.Millers have recently released a new 20/50 oil for cars that have the gearbox in the engine,(That narrows the field a bit!!!) but as it was a new product,I stuck to what I knew.No disrespect to Millers.

Ken.
A-series gearboxes - Chris S
RE: "I don't know if you could top up your gearbox with engine oil, I would think so unless the gearbox is filled with some sort of special high tech synthetic stuff. (It might affect synchro operation though)"

thanks - I just wanted to know in case of an emergency