I saw some terrific driving today... - Vin {P}
All the way to work. Loads of cars being well-driven with good gaps from the car in front. They had their lights on (it was dark) and they mostly used their indicators. The drivers were courteous and generally acknowledged people giving way to them with either a wave or a flash of the indicators. A half hour traffic queue saw a great deal of patience shown.

(Just thought I'd give thanks for the thousands of good drivers I never seem to notice on the roads)

V
I saw some terrific driving today... - Robin Reliant
Despite what it sometimes might seem, I think most drivers are patient, well mannered and safe. Unfortunately nobody notices the kids in class who are well behaved, it is the one or two yobbos who stand out and stick in the memory.
I saw some terrific driving today... - tack
You don't know it mate, but in fact you are dead and driving in heaven. I read all about your tragic accident in the paper the other day. Down here it is still murder. In fact, I think I died without realising it and am in hell!
I saw some terrific driving today... - googolplex
charming...
Splodgeface
I saw some terrific driving today... - hillman
Just looked up the word 'Terrific' in the Concise Oxford Dictionary.
"TERRIFIC, a, Causing terror, terrible... Perhaps I'm missing the point!
I saw some terrific driving today... - Stuartli
>>TERRIFIC, a, Causing terror, terrible... Perhaps I'm missing the point!>>

Perhaps you should have done more probing....:-)

There are several definitions of Terrific. This is the last one I found:

"[adj] extraordinarily good; used especially as intensifiers; "a fantastic trip to the Orient"; "the film was fantastic!"; "a howling success"; "a marvellous collection of rare books"; "had a rattling conversation about politics"; "a tremendous achievement"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
I saw some terrific driving today... - Stuartli
PS

Forgot to name source:

www.hyperdictionary.com/dictionary/terrific
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
I saw some terrific driving today... - Pugugly {P}
You don't know it mate, but in fact you are dead
and driving in heaven. I read all about your tragic
accident in the paper the other day. Down here it
is still murder. In fact, I think I died without
realising it and am in hell!

Bit strong, Tack.
I saw some terrific driving today... - volvoman
Yeah you're quite right Vin but how many people care about that? It's sad but true that we all tend to concern ourselves with the negatives of life and take all the positives for granted. One awful experience goes a very long way whereas "I haven't been ripped off by a dodgy dealer or involved in an accident" isn't newsworthy. On the other hand, "I saw some maniac driving the wrong way down a one way street at 60mph with his dog on his lap and his child with his head out of the sun roof" is. Perhaps we need another 'Good News' thread to redress the balance a little.
I saw some terrific driving today... - Nsar
"we all tend to concern ourselves with the negatives of life" just because you do Volvoman, please don't assume that everyone does. Lighten up, please!
I saw some terrific driving today... - martint123
I was waiting for the punch line

"and then I cam off the ferry and all hell broke loose"

I saw some terrific driving today... - artful dodger {P}
I was always told that good manners cost nothing, and along with a smile, it always brightens up other people's days. Well done for being so observant.

As I drive in the conjested south east, I would like to mention that I have always found the most considerate drivers to be in Scotland. For example if a dual carriageway is reduced to a single lane, they always seem to form a long line of single lane traffic rather than merging as the bollards block the outside lane. May be Scotland does not have as much traffic density, but I have never experienced any agressive drivers.
I saw some terrific driving today... - PW
Devon's not bad either- cars I have been following through the lanes have often pulled over to let me past. Should add didn't involve aggression on my part- was happy to sit safe distance behind them.

I saw some terrific driving today... - Malcolm_L
Experienced this myself but in the negative sense unfortunately.

Coming down the A82, roadworks reduced the road to a single lane, well signposted with merge in turn signs every 100 yards or so.
However the locals prefer to queue in a single line of traffic for miles, blocking access roads, etc.

Several cars across both lanes, who got very aggressive when we went past.
I saw some terrific driving today... - trancer
The standard of driving here in the UK is the highest I have ever experienced, especially with regards to courtesy. For those of you who think otherwise, spend a few years driving in the USA.
I saw some terrific driving today... - Kevin
trancer,

can't agree with you there. Drivers in the US may not be the best in the world but, with the exception of Houston or LA in rush-hour, I never came across the raw aggression I see here. The main problem I come across in the US is that many drivers are simply oblivious to what's going on around them. When they're paying attention they're actually quite courteous.

As far as Vin's original post goes, I had to attend a meeting in Farnborough on Tuesday morning. Basingstoke to the centre of Farnborough in 20 minutes. No middle lane hogs, no tailgaters and virtually no HGVs.

/*
Tinfoil hat

Are putting something in the water?

!Tinfoil hat
*/

Kevin...
I saw some terrific driving today... - Bromptonaut
However the locals prefer to queue in a single line of
traffic for miles, blocking access roads, etc.

This suggests that the capacity of the single lane section is being exceeded and folks are stationary and queuing to access it. If there were two queues of equal length in both lanes progress would still be limited to the capacity of the single lane section.

If you are perceived as nipping down the outside of the queue and pushing in at the front I can see why the locals get cross.
I saw some terrific driving today... - Malcolm_L
If they prefer to ignore the signage and unnecessarily block twice the access roads by queueing in a single line rather than two, I'm completely devoid of sympathy.

As stated previously, the signage stated quite clearly merge in turn which undoubtedly suggests that they want two shorter queues rather than one long one for the reasons I've already mentioned.

Maybe they want their signs in gaelic?
I saw some terrific driving today... - tyre tread
I've always believed this is a much better way to do it anyway and HATE the trucks that straddle both lanes as they try to police the movements of other drivers!
I saw some terrific driving today... - Vin {P}
Aye, but there's a limit. I was in a traffic queue the other week with three lanes going down to one. One mile queue, then we got down to one lane about 100 yards before we had to. Then, a Volvo driver pulled out of the single line behind me, steamed up the right and tried to dive back in 100 yards ahead.

Cue 20 cars you couldn't have slipped a razor blade between. Last I saw of him he was about twenty cars further back than when he started.

V
I saw some terrific driving today... - tyre tread
Might not work so well on 3 into 1 but with 2 into one it stops the "zooming up the outside" problem since there's no empty space to "zoom up". If the people at the head of the queue observe the taking turmns then both lanes will move equally quickly and vehicles joining the back of the queue will also do so on a more or less altenative basis depending upon which lane is shorter. - problem solved & stress reduced.

If only we could educate people to filter alternate lanes!
I saw some terrific driving today... - blank
If only we could educate people to filter alternate lanes!

Absolutely. Still, if people would rather sit in a long queue and shake their fists at me, I'm not all that bothered!