Peug 309D many miles - pullgees
My car has done 165000 miles I haven't had it from new but have the old receipts. I acquired it at 98000 miles. Beside the things that come up on MOT I was just wondering what could start packing up soon. I've only had to replace the alternator, water pump, radiator and drive shafts. I don't think even the clutch has been replaced. How about oil pump or injector pump, how long could they last?
Peug 309D many miles - IanT
My 1987 309D has only done 100,000 miles, but has had a number of faults in recent years which are age-related rather than mileage. So you could get these ...

Steering rack gaiter split.
Indicator switch snapped off (Araldited).
Boot struts not working (you must have had this already).
Replace water hose from fuel filter heater to engine block.
Replace horn.
Wheel cover retaining clips rusted away.
Rusty brake pipe from front to rear.
Rusty brake pipe across rear from left to right.
Handbrake cable outer casing split.
Weld rusty sills (near rear jacking point, both sides).

This is my list of non-service items for the last 4 years. Not bad in my opinion for such an old car, which is and has been 100% reliable on the road. Only the rusty sills, and some rust on the rear wheel arches (leading edges), give continuing cause for concern.

I bet the rust bug gets you (and me) before any of the major mechanical items you are worried about.

Ian
Peug 309D many miles - Crinkly Dave
Mine is on 167K. Still my favourite motor of the 3 run by the family. Experience of failures matches above, but driveshafts still rattling after 40K.
Beginning to find things like doorlocks and central locking failing. Heater fan u/s, I think because the speed controller (electronic I think) has packed in, but now provided with a switch to run at full speed only
The petrol 405 (same engine, but petrol) is coming up to 205K. Needed to replace the rear axle (easier than swopping bushes). Radiator fan bearings shot at (replaced for £5) and 4 & 5th gear syncro failing.
If you don't look after the antifreeze you are liable to lose the heater matrix of course
Peug 309D many miles - rg
Is this the XUD9 engine?

Mine went to 251K in a 405.

The cooling system components need decent anti-freeze mix to minimise corrosion. A new matrix would be expensiveas it's most of a day to change. Likewise, a cooked head (easy on this engine) due to sudden coolant loss would, sadly, consign the car to "the happy hunting ground".

Conversely, some taxis go way over 500K on these engines...

rg
Peug 309D many miles - Hugo {P}
Having had the 309 SRi (petrol) I can echo that many of the failures will be age related. The stupidest of things go. I lost my central locking. It turned out to be the main CL module near the driver's footwell, above the accelerator. A contact had come apart from a post, obviously designed to carry a high current. This was simply re soldered and CL returned.

In addition, the driver's door became impossible to lock. This was down to the little shroud that surrounded the locking button on the door becoming dislodged. This was fixed at no charge by the Peugeot Dealer my father used to get the car serviced.

H
What amazes me is that the wheel bearing and shocks are still okay. I've had to renew the anti roll bar bushes, they are a weak point on these motors.
It looks like I've got to expect CL problems and rusted brake pipes but what about engine parts such as valves or oil pump, do they go and what about the brake servo and master cylinder?
Peug 309D many miles - P 2501
Classic peugeot faults listed above.

These cars are so typical in that they will often run to big mileages, but with irritating little glitches alng the way.(radiators corroding,central locking problems,trim falling off etc)

Often though these probs can be sorted fairly cheaply by someone mechanically minded over a weekend.

The 309 is a great little car and i know of several people who have very fond memories of theirs.
Sorry forgot to answer your question!

Oil pump - don't worry about this it will last the life of the engine.

Injection pump - See above (as long as fuel fiter is changed regularly)

Valves - Not uncommon to need attention, but as long as you don't thrash it with low oil levels it will be ok.

Just make sure you change the antifreeze and oil frequently and keep an eye on the temp gauge to prevent any overheating. As mentioned this will most likely be the end if it does...

Thanks for that good tip about the fuel filter. I've been changing mine about every 25000 is that too little? Also been changing the anti freeze about every 50000, (every two years).
I think the fuel filter should be changed around every 10000.Some might say this is a bit too soon, but the part is just a few quid and easy to change. I tend to do it about every other oil change.

I never find any water, or crud in the fuel filter housing when i do change it though so maybe 10k is a bit premature.Oil never stays in more than 6000 however.

Its up to you!