Passat Air Con stopped working - Halmer
Tonight driving home,all of a sudden I felt chilly., When I looked down to mess with the Air Con I couldn't see the buttons as the blue background light was inoperative. The air con blower wasn't working either.

When I got home I found out that there are two thirty amp fuses which I swapped around and lo and behold the air con kicked in. Trouble is, the rear window heater, which I think is the other thirty amp fuse, is also working (when I expected it to fail now). I can't see any breakages in the fuses so apart from a fuse which may have slipped a bit can anyone suggest anything please?
Passat Air Con stopped working - elekie&a/c doctor
If the fuses are ok & definitely have not blown,I would check the contacts where the fuses are located to see if there has been any overheating or discolouration.By removing & refittng the fuses you have effectively "wiped" the contacts to make the circuit work again.
Passat Air Con stopped working - Halmer
Thanks

The bit that I can't understand is why the blue background light went out because II found out that this works even when the fuse is taken out completely. I'm confused.