Mini Front Head Lights - tomandjerry56
i seem to be having a problem with my front head lights on a mini f reg bought some new head lamps but seem to be having trouble getting the new ones ie the plate that holds the light in seems to fall back an does not hold had to buy new head light as some one told me that the bulbs are in side the head light and are sealed units hope some one out there can help
Mini Front Head Lights - Mondaywoe
This takes me back! I've just hauled out my trusty old Haynes to check. There's a single screw under the chrome outer ring - right at the bottom (usually well rusted!) Take it out and unhook the rim from a 'bump' at the top. Under this there's another chrome ring that is screwed onto the backplate with a few small screws round the side.This hold the sealed unit in place. It's that backplate that actually moves to adjust the beam (theoretically!)This plate in turn 'floats' on two screws with springs behind them - one screw adjusts the up/down the other adjusts the left/right. I can't find mention of this in Haynes, but I seem to recall another big spring behind that pulls the whole thing back into the 'bowl' in the wing and keeps it under tension (maybe this has dropped off behind yours) The problem with Minis is that they rust like the devil so anything that should be a minor job turns into mayhem when things start to crumble away before your eyes!

The headlight itself is, indeed a sealed beam - very popular in the 60s and 70s! You just plug a connector onto the back and replace the whole thing if either or both filaments goes. The early Landrovers had the same unit - if you're looking in a scrappy for one that might help!These round ones used to be quite cheap but square jobbies could cost an arm and leg in those days!

Good luck!

Graeme
Mini Front Head Lights - tomandjerry56
thanks for your message but when i took the light of there was no spring on the back of the head light perhaps it has corroded away or some one before has had a go might have to go down the breakers to see if i can get the springs and back bits hopefully
Mini Front Head Lights - IanT
Is that F as in 1967, or F as in 1988?

Anyway, dredging the memory back to my long-departed L-reg (1972) mini. The headlamp retaining plate was fastened by three(?) self-tapping screws. These screwed directly into holes in the underlying metalwork, which rusted away.

It looks as though you will have to find some nuts and bolts to replace the self-tappers (provided you can get to the back of the fitting to hold the nuts). Or patch the rust with bodyfiller, and screw the self-tappers directly into the bodyfiller.

My rusty 1972 example showed that the retaining plate didn't have to be on very solidly to hold the headlamps sufficiently.

On your last point, you are right, the entire sealed unit has to be replaced (true in 1972).

Ian
PS My memory isn't as reliable as it used to be, but hope this helps.
Mini Front Head Lights - holly1
Yes, our 1980 & 1983 headlamp retaining plates are fastened by three screws. I have seen replacement headlamp fitting bowls at shows, presume they replace the underlying rusty metalwork to give you something to screw the retaining plate into.

Someone converted mine to halogen headlights - don't understand why because you still have to unscrew all of the front and remove the lens to get to the bulbs - cannot just pop them in from under the bonnet like you can with more modern lights .... might look into converting them back but electrics are not a strong point.
Mini Front Head Lights - Pete M
I did the same on my Mini, and got some headlights that used halogen bulbs from a breaker. The main point is that the beam geometry and strength is much better than with the old sealed beams.