Octavia 2001 - things to look for - Ritz-dog
Viewing one of the above 2morrow. Is there anything specific to look for. Car is 1.6lx, 38k, saloon, has had new bonnet, headlamp and bumper after 'dink'. Any ideas much appreciated
Octavia 2001 - things to look for - daveyK_UK
is the damage recorded - aka Cat D?
Octavia 2001 - things to look for - Altea Ego
Well being a 1.6 petrol it wont have been used as a taxi.

I would not be going anywhere near it myself, Its a big car with a small engine, and hence is slow and thirsty.

But if you must, check out that accident damage carefully, it might well be worse than is advertised. If it looks like the engine had to come out to repair it, walk away.
Octavia 2001 - things to look for - DavidHM
Wot RF said, except that there are some petrol Octavia taxis. Not many, it's true, but there are loads of taxis so be very aware of signs of clocking and hard use around town.

IIRC the Octavia had a facelift in 2000 and so a 2001 shouldn't be an LX but a Classic. If it's a 1.6 Classic it will at least have the 100 bhp engine - small for the car but bearable, unlike the 75 bhp 1.6.

If the car is a Cat D it should be well below £3k and even then it's only worth considering if you're planning on keeping it ages and have an inspection - click on the usedcarchecks.com link on the left.

The Octavia itself is a great used buy - cheap to run, relatively safe, not too expensive, good quality, moderately spacious (though rear seat room is traded in favour of boot space) and generally not too expensive. However I'd generally be reluctant to go below GLX/Ambiente spec - the LX and Classic are very basic - and you've got to look out for very tired, 200k+ examples.
Octavia 2001 - things to look for - Imagos
Pre-facelift radios are fiddley and sound truly awful. Post-facelift radios much much better. As previous post if it is a LX and not a classic it's a pre-facelift. I would try and find a post facelift if I was you. Laymans way to tell is the later cars have slightly larger rear lights and trapezodial instead of rectangular headlights, larger wheels and badged as Classic, ambiente, or Elegance. Facia is updated too.