New Omega engine - ian1970
I have just been told that my P (97)Petrol, 5 speed manual 2.0 GLS Omega needs a new engine.

Is it worth it? the car a FSH and has only done 86,000 miles. I have been quoted by the garage £470.00 for the engine (2nd hand 41K with a 6 month guarantee) + fitting, which will be £300.00

Can anyone suggest where I can get an engine from?

Thanks in advance

Ian
New Omega engine - Dynamic Dave
Can anyone suggest where I can get an engine from?

Try these guys:-

www.dixonsvauxhallspares.co.uk/

Warning!! Prepare yourself for the noisy intro and subsequent annoying sounds whilst browsing the site. I ended up turning off the speakers.
New Omega engine - mark999
Whats the problem with the engine? and have thought about getting a second opinion.
New Omega engine - ian1970
I have taken it to the local Vauxhall dealer who said it failed the ommissions lest in the MOT.

The CAM belt needs changing, the water pump is making a noise and to be honest it sounds like a bag of bolts when you drive it.

All this eventhough I have really looked after it. It has a FSH (At a dealer), never been trashed etc.

I took it to another garage who passed it! But he said that the engine is on the was out. He estimated that it would be cheaper to buy a re-con engine than repair the problems.
New Omega engine - Peasant
I would agree with mark that you need to get a second opinion from a known good source.
It is hard to believe a well minded car with a decent sized engine could fail like that.
A dodgy water pump could make a fair racket, throw in a few other worn belts and maybe tappets and you could have an orchestra going in there, that might be cheap enough to fix.
If it was buring oil, low compression, low oil pressure, these would have you thinking allright.
New Omega engine - Schnitzel
On the Omega forum, someone with the same engine was advised that the oil pickup is quite close to the bottom of the sump, and easily blocked, or susceptable to being restricted by a 'bent' sump that has hit something like a hump.

Oh look, here it is...

Hello Please..
I reckon your oil pump strainer is part blocked..
The oil pump must be ok..
Based on ..
If you increase the engine speed your hydraulic tappets re-fill and go quite..
Check the emmission breathers also..
This is not un-common to X20XEV..
Check the sump for impact damage..
The slightest dent to the sump will block the screen.. 
I  would remove the sump and check the strainer..
Rebuild and run an oil flush through and change the oil and filter..

tmail.com> wrote:

I have a 2.0 ecotec which suddenly sounds like a sewing machine
(remember the old chrysler alpines ?). It goes quiet at tickover and
when I back off the accelerator but as soon as I touch the
accelerator pedal it sounds like a bucket of bolts. I've been
informed it's the hydraulic tappets. The problem is there's 16 of
them and I can't tell which ones have gone.
Any help/comments would be appreciated...
PS Are hydraulic tappets the same as cam followers as mentioned in
somebody elses post ?
New Omega engine - smokie
I recognise that style, it's Dr Omega from the Yahoo group.

That guy certainly knows what he is talking about so you would do well to do as he suggests.

In fact the group has a number of very knowledgable Omega people and is worth subscribing to if you are an Omega owner. I think it's here:

groups.yahoo.com/group/omega_owners/