Focus Fast Idle Problems - ECU ? - Bobby Boy
The problem - X reg Focus 1.8 Zetec with 75000 miles. Engine sometimes races between gear changes, or hangs on to the revs before eventually dropping to normal. Also sometimes it is reluctant to start from cold, it starts but it's like it's not getting the cold start enrichment (?)

Now I've heard talk of problems with some early Focus ECUs, can anyone shed any light on this and give any pointers so that I can get it fixed.

Thanks Very much

Bobby
Focus Fast Idle Problems - ECU ? - Galaxy
There is a well known problem with the Zetec engine fitted into a Focus in that a number of Mondeo engines were fitted, by mistake, during manufacture which had the wrong inlet manifold. The engines are the same but the manifolds are different. This is known to cause the problems you describe.

I would suggest it's worth checking this isn't the problem in your case before going any further.
Many Thanks for the super quick reply, bet you can guess what's coming now ;-)

How can I tell if it's the wrong manifold, or is it a dealer job ?

Cheers
Focus Fast Idle Problems - ECU ? - Galaxy
Would have to be a main dealer job, I'm afraid. Our secretary at work had a Focus which developed this problem, so that's how I know about it!

I've just had a look at HJ's Car by Car Breakdown and he mentions the problem, but only for the 2.0 litre. Hers was a 2.0. I don't know whether 1.8's were similarly effected.

Perhaps a telephone call to your local Ford main dealer might be a place to start?

Good luck.
Focus Fast Idle Problems - ECU ? - Adam {P}
Just to throw a spanner in the works, mine's a 1.8 and used to do it. Considering the only problem was high revs for the first 20 miles of any journey, I left it.

Doesn't do it anymore. I got told about the Mondeo inlet thingy as well.
--
Adam
Focus Fast Idle Problems - ECU ? - John F
Just got my wife X reg Auto 1.6, it also does this briefly when cold. I've found slipping it into neutral and allowing it to idle results briefly in even more revs, then something presumably electronic tells it to slow down - which it does. Then slip it back into gear. I'm not worried about it, it works amazingly well otherwise.....40 mpg and a wonderful heater.

[and the cambelt, which looks thick enough to drive a motorbike, should last for ever, tension pulley permitting !]
Focus Fast Idle Problems - ECU ? - henry k
Just got my wife X reg Auto 1.6, it also does this briefly when cold.
I've found slipping it into neutral and allowing it to idle results briefly in even more revs,
then something presumably electronic tells it to slow down - which it does.

I think this is normal. My Mondeo 2.0 auto does it.
Focus 2.0 manual also does it.
Dipping clutch does help but it is mildy disconcerting when you lift your foot off the throttle to slow do and find yourself speeding up for a moment...
Looks like I'll have to bite the bullet and let the dealer hage a look.