A4 Bearing arm recall help - Cas
Can anyone out there help? I have an Audi A4 which has been recalled due to possible fault on the front bearing arms. Audi say they will not fix this under warranty unless I can provide details of last 2 yrs servicing. However, I have only had the car for a year and the service book was not supplied as promised (big dispute with dealer).

Is this problem something the regular service would have checked or dealt with. I believe the fault has nothing to do with who or when the car was serviced, but am not sure of my rights here.

Many thanks in advance

Cas
A4 Bearing arm recall help - Aprilia
>>I believe the fault has nothing to do
with who or when the car was serviced, but am not
sure of my rights here.
Many thanks in advance
Cas

You are right. The part in question is effectively 'non-servicable' and is not normally checked at a service (although it is checked at MoT).
If Audi are offering what is effectively a 'goodwill' repair then I guess that they can set whatever conditions they want.

I am not expert on Audi, but I believe that this part was subject to a worldwide recall a few years back, but for some reason the UK was excluded. Others may be able to confirm.
I guess like any company they try to 'get away' with a much as they can to keep thier costs down.
A4 Bearing arm recall help - NARU
Some ideas on obtaining the service history ...

1. Do Audi have a central computer system with this on?
2. You could get the previous owner details from DVLA (small fee), ask them which garage did the servicing and pay them a visit
3. If it started life as a lease car, they often keep a central record and might be able to give you a printout.
A4 Bearing arm recall help - martint123
Maybe they're trying to see if it has already been done. Its an old recall dated 1999.

www.vosa.gov.uk/vosa/apps/recalls/searches/expand....3

A recall is nothing to do with a warranty. If they get shirty get onto Audi and threaten them with reporting them to the Vehicle Inspectorate.

7 Notification of Vehicle Owners

The manufacturer will take all reasonable action to contact all owners/registered keepers and call in any affected vehicles for inspection and, if necessary, rectify components or assemblies which the manufacturer believes are safety defective. In consultation with the Inspectorate the manufacturer will arrange the despatch of a letter which will explain in layman ' s terms the nature of the defect and its safety significance to the owner/registered keeper.

Martin
A4 Bearing arm recall help - tyre tread
Cas

Just received the same recall letter myself and not taken the car in yet.

Are you saying that the garage have checked yours and the arm needs replacing? Have they quoted a cost if you have to pay?

Surely if its a recall its a safety matter and is a result of an inherent design fault or weakness in the design/manufacture of the car. I will certainly be kicking up one hell of a stink if work is required and they try & charge for it.

Surely, if manufacturers could charge for remedial work on recalls then they'll all be doing it to make more money and use it as another trick to retain the servicing of customers cars.
Hi folks, sorry about the delay in posting.

Unfortunately the car wasn't bought by me from an Audi franchise - it another network. The main Audi dealer has helped out with some details on past services, but their records end in 2001 at 42k. I have details of 2 services since then, but it seems they have to somehow decide whether or not they approve of these services and if they don't then they won't fund the repair. Have been told it could cost £500.

I guess Audi must have weighed up the safety/legal risk of not recalling vs the reputational risk of all the adverse publicity. If that is so, they know they are at fault in my opinion. Thanks for the post on legal obligations to owners.

Any more advice is very welcome.
A4 Bearing arm recall help - Bill Payer
However, I have only had the car for a year
and the service book was not supplied as promised (big dispute
with dealer).

Was it bought from an Audi franchise dealer?
A4 Bearing arm recall help - DL
My 1997 A4 is due in for this recall......don't know if I'll bother tbh, if this is the treatment I am to expect.

As far as I am aware, any vehicle recall rectification work should be covered under warranty!

--
groups.msn.com/honestjohn - Pictures say a thousand words.....
A4 Bearing arm recall help - martint123
It isn't a warranty issue, it is a safety issue. They have to do it. Imported cars are covered as well The above provisions of the Code are also to apply to imported vehicles, with the qualification that the appropriate UK concessionaire will assume on behalf of his vehicle manufacturer the obligation of the latter under the Code.

A4 Bearing arm recall help - girlie
Had mine checked on my passat and yep it was worn, told me it needed changing but didn't say it needed doing in any hurry and six weeks later the naughty thing snapped whilst I was driving! Guaranteed to scare the pink fluffy dice out of you wen it goes!

{Swearing edited out. Next time I simply delete the lot. DD}
A4 Bearing arm recall help - GrahamF1
I've just taken my 1999 Passat in for a bearing-arm recall - presume it's the same part and problem as the A4.

The gist of the letter was that it was a courtesy check. Nothing was mentioned about what would happen in the event that work was found to be necessary, and I presumed that this would be charged for.

In the event, the VW dealer (deleted - no naming shaming, thankyou. DD) did the check and found no problem. I clarified the situation when I gave them the car, and they said that it was a warranty check and that any necessary work would be free of charge. There's certainly no mechanical warranty remaining on my Passat (it being 5 years old), the only cover still in place is the 12-year anti-corrosion warranty on the bodywork.

They didn't ask anything about my service history (full VW until I got it a year ago, now full of my handwriting because I do my own servicing).

I'm wary of anyone thinking that this constituted good customer service from VW. They were still rude and abrupt, tried to force me to book it in for servicing with them, and didn't even offer me a cup of tea while I waited half an hour for the check to be performed. Plus the technician stole the memory stick from my key ring while he had the keys. A quick word with the manager and it was returned swiftly.
>>Plus the technician
stole the memory stick from my key ring while he had
the keys. A quick word with the manager and it was
returned swiftly.

Incredible !
That is awful.

I hope the Technician is question was disciplined or sacked.
--
Thanks for the Passat post. I'd like to think Audi have the same policy for a free fix as it is basically the same car and presumably the exact same part. Can't believe they tried to nick your memory stick - £40 an hour and free stuff from the customers!

I really hope I don't have to contact Audi customer service to get them to sort it out. I've only had to do this once in the past and they weren't very helpful. Plus I forgot to mention that they charged me £9 for replacement (empty) service log.

Anyone else had any experience here?
If I were you I'd just jack it up, whip the wheel off and have a look at the gaiter yourself.

Wish I had now. As a result of taking it to the dealer I'll get mail and phone calls begging me to come and pay £250 for a service...
Could well be a clever marketing exercise, to get our 'old' cars back into the dealerships and for the sales staff to pounce on us?

Don't think there is much of a chance of getting away with not giving address details, unless you use a spoof PO Box number ;)
--
A4 Bearing arm recall help - guss
my dads 2000 w reg passat 115 pd tdi was recalled and the bearing arm was replaced by the dealer for free. Its a safety recall and they are obliged to replace defective manufactured parts.After warranty period the car was not serviced by vw but a friend who is a mechanic.The car has not seen a vw dealer for aleast the last 2 years
Thanks Guss. If VW are doing it, then Audi will have to follow.

I am still waiting to hear from Audi as to what they propose. Incidentally, I checked the Vehicle Inspectorate website for the recall and it hasn't appeared yet under A4 or Passat. Does anyone know why this might be?

Good news, Audi are fixing the problem gratis. Good luck all you others with the same fault.
Good....and so they should too.

Might get round to booking mine in soon.
--
I have just had a conversation with an Audi Garage in Leicester who have my wife's car in for the Bearing arm inspection and they tell me that they need replacing so it will have to be booked in again!

I asked if the repair will be done FOC and the rather patronising gentelman informed me that it can only be done FOC if the car has a full service history.

The car is only 4 years old and had a full Audi S/H up until it ran out of warranty.

I have read the comments on this thread and in particular Cas's but can anyone tell me if what the dealer is claiming is correct?

I have told the service manager that I will be taking advice from the SMMT - This forum is close enough!
A4 Bearing arm recall help - BobL
You will find that the Car Mechanics magazine editor (on shelf now)is having a rant about this issue in his editorial. Read about his experiences when taking his A4 back for the recall and how he argued with the dealer about the exactly the same issues raised in this thread.
Thanks Bob. I'll buy a copy especially as I do like to read the odd copy of CM.

However, aster I had a 15 minute rant at the workshop manager and threatened him with everything from Audi UK, Honest John, Vehicle Inspectorate and Trading Standards he initially told me to go away and do whatever I felt was appropriate.

Half an hour later I got a call from a young lady at the dealership saying after consultation with Audi UK as a goodwill gesture they are prepared to do the work FOC!

I am so relieved but feel gulity that I am selling out for the sake of personal peace of mind and there are many others out there who will not fight back and will end up paying for what should be done as a safety recall and therefore FOC
I think Audi are on dodgy ground with this one.
This is a safety-related recall (if joint fails the front suspension fails!).
The part in question is a non-servicable part which is not checked during service and so I cannnot see the relevance of service history unless Audi are using it as a weapon to 'punish' owners for going outside the dealer network.
Exactly (one of) my points to the dealer.

They are alienating so many customers its untrue.
A4 Bearing arm recall help - El Dingo
Yep,

Had this done three years ago on my '96 A4 Avant.
Originally Audi agreed to do the work FOC, but repaired the 'creaking' suspension arm as a temporary measure until the recall kits were available (some months later). But then they backed out - the dealer 'phoned me to say that Audi would no longer honour the FOC suspension kit exchange (the dealer was excellent in this case - they could have just shut up and waited to see if I chased them!). I emailed HJ at the time...
After pressure Audi backed down and fitted the suspension kit FOC.
El Dingo.
Had my car into an independant Audi dealer today for a service - He conf that not only doe the arms need replacing but the C links to the anti roll bars are U.S.!

I reckon when Audi have the car in I'll get a call to say they need to change them and they have to charge me - lets see shall we?
Just a quick update: The car went into the Audi dealer today and they replaced the control arms and the C links to the anti roll bar (which were badly worn) and all done FOC!

My wife said that when she took the car in they were the absolute height of courtesy and pleasantness.

Unfortunately it would seem that asking nicely is OK but nastiness gets better results!

Why can't Audi dealers understand that upsetting customers will do nothing for their long term business?
A4 Bearing arm recall help - ringo01
hi people.
ref a4.
if you produce anything as a manufacturer it has to be fit for the purpose it was designed for if it does not do the job OR it is unsafe it is still the manufacturers obligation todo something about it.
if the part in question is an audi part fitted at the factory then really how can they get out of that one.
But the dealership is within their rights to charge you labour but supply the part/s free of charge.
basically if ya fit crap and theres a problem expect to get the crap backand sort it.
A4 Bearing arm recall help - uk2usa
Funny this issue should come up-. I just bought a used A4 V6 here in Arizona. It has 108000 miles on it. Found out that there was a recall on the control arms, so booked it in to the Audi dealer here. They did the job with no questions about previous servicing etc. They even gave me a free rental car which they brought over from Hertz down the road. Car was back with me in 3 hours. One thing they do share with the UK Audi dealers, however, is the arrogant people working there.
A4 Bearing arm recall help - kithmo
Excuse my ignorance, but what's a "bearing arm" ?
Believe it's what I'd normally refer to as a 'track-rod end'. The ball joint on the end of the steering arm? Is this correct anyone?

The industry likes changing it's terminology to confuse us! Sometimes causes problems with younger members of staff at garages. Young man behind the parts counter at a Ford dealership didn't know what a rocker box was (I needed the gasket for it) - he only understood 'valve cover' because that's what it said on the gasket packaging and the computer!

A4 Bearing arm recall help - uk2usa
No. The bearing arm is also called the control arm or the lower arm. The track rod end is also called the tie rod and this is what does your steering.
Thanks for clarification.
I shall be booking my A4 in during the Christmas break, when they're working and I'm not!

Will wait for some fun....
--