Dealers, Servicing and Warranties - Toxteth O'Grady
I read (I think) not so long ago that many manufacturers had dropped the stipulation that, for a warranty to be valid and honoured, the car had to serviced by a main dealer. (A practice I had always seen as a stitch up, as they will always charge more).

I was at a Citroen dealership yesterday, and heard some poor bloke trying to get something fixed under warranty. The dealership were arguing that, as it had been serviced by an independent, the warranty was now void.

Anyone know what the situation actually is?

I have an Alfa, shortly due for a service, and an independent could possibly save me a good few quid, but don't want risk the warranty given Alfa's 'character' (not that I've had anything to complain about so far).
Dealers, Servicing and Warranties - shoei
I have just had my Seat serviced at a non Seat garage. After speaking to Seat customer care they said that as long as the vehicle is serviced to Seat specs and all receipts and proof of work carried out are kept, in case of a warranty claim, then there is no problem having it serviced out of the Seat system. I would ring alfa to clarify there position and get a name that you can go back to if any problems arrise.
Dealers, Servicing and Warranties - SjB {P}
Agree with Shoei. Volvo's interpretation of the law to me was that so long as the vehicle was serviced to Volvo specifications, using genuine Volvo parts where a genuine Volvo part exists, all receipts were kept, and the service book stamped accordingly, they would honour any warranty issues.
Dealers, Servicing and Warranties - nortones2
This is a Dti link www.dti.gov.uk/ccp/topics1/facts/blockcars.htm that gives the theory. Apparently manfrs have been a trifle slow in passing the required information out, and there are barriers to entry in the form of equipment and training etc.
Dealers, Servicing and Warranties - holly1
Wonder what happens if you take it to a different branch of the same dealership?
Dealers, Servicing and Warranties - holly1
Sorry, to add to that one, I am not referring to the warranties you get with new cars, but those you get with used cars. Reason I as is the dealership I got mine from has a cr** garage but their other local branch isnt too bad.
Dealers, Servicing and Warranties - blue_haddock
Yep as long as genuine parts are used and the garage is VAT registered the warranty will be OK although many dealerships will try to convince you otherwise!