VW 90 or 110, how can you tell? - Sprice
Hi, apart from the 'red eye', how can you tell if a passat TDi for instance is really a 110, and they havent just stuck a different badge on bootlid? The reason i ask, is I've tried getting some insurance quotes for so called 110's for sale, but on entering reg.no the database shows them as 90's. Would the log book show whether they were 90 or 110?
Thanks
VW 90 or 110, how can you tell? - Wee Willie Winkie
My V5 says 110...

Cheers,

DB
VW 90 or 110, how can you tell? - dieselnut
If you look in the service book one page is printed with the VIN No, body style, colour etc. Somewhere on this page is the power which should say 84Kw which equates to 110bhp.
This page is also duplicated in the boot under the carpet.
VW 90 or 110, how can you tell? - J.B.
The letters in the engine number have a code for the power which should be explained in the handbook.If you havn't got a handbook I'm sure your local VW dealer would let you have a peek at a used one.
VW 90 or 110, how can you tell? - DL
AFN being the Audi 110 engine code, but there are others.

To be 100% sure (in the abscence of a service book) the engine code (on the cambelt cover) will confirm.
--
groups.msn.com/honestjohn - Pictures say a thousand words.....
VW 90 or 110, how can you tell? - nortones2
The old 90 hp engines had a turbo fitted with an internal waste-gate. The later 110 hp vehicles used a turbo with variable vane geometry, and the controller for the vanes is external, and can be used to distinguish the two types. The controller is illustrated in this link: www.technologie-entwicklung.de/Gasturbines/VNT15-T...l
VW 90 or 110, how can you tell? - DL
That's an excellent site, I spent hours over there nosing around!

The animation of the VNT turbo vanes is very interesting.
--
groups.msn.com/honestjohn - Pictures say a thousand words.....
VW 90 or 110, how can you tell? - nortones2
I ought to have said the link was first posted here by dieselnut. But its a great help in understanding the turbo workings. Considering that all the exhaust gas passes through it I was surprised there was not more soot, especially as in the USA certain TDI's seem to have a problem with severe clogging of the inlet with some sort of sludge. Probably running them on chip fat!
VW 90 or 110, how can you tell? - GrahamF1
I've noticed this too. Having given my registration for renewal quotes recently, every database returned it as at a {90} rather than a {110}.

I know it's a {110}, firstly because of the engine code (AFN), secondly because of what it says on the V5, and thirdly because I'm confident I can tell the difference through driving it.

But who am I to argue with the insurers' databases? Perhaps this might be why I got such a competitive price!

Some might say this isn't entirely honest, but if there were ever a problem then I'm sure a defence of "I don't understand those '90 & 110' numbers, I quoted the correct registration and as such believed all information to be correct" would stand up.