Newbie advice -best diesel circa £5k - Shan
Hi

Need a bit of advice.

Starting a new job in the new year it involves communting about 60-70 miles a day and was thinking of getting a diesel to save some money.

Got about 5k to spend and was thinking along the lines of either a Seat Leon Tdi or Focus Tdci. I prefer the spec in the Seat but the drive in the focus seems better.

Also saw a saab 93 2.2 tid SE at Cargiant for 5200 but not too sure about this.

What do you guys think ?

Thanks

Newbie advice -best diesel circa £5k - GrahamF1
I'd go for the Leon. I went for the equivalent Passat in similar circumstances a year ago, and have now decided that badge snobbery wasn't worth the extra money I paid for it.

I'd be surprised if you could buy a Focus TDCi (the new generation high-powered ones) for £5k.

In any case, the Ford diesels cannot match the VW/Audi/Seat ones for fuel economy - I get 65mpg from my Passat. They're also nowhere near as comfortable on a longer trip.
Thanks Graham I meant the TDi.
Newbie advice -best diesel circa £5k - GrahamF1
Focus TDi? The early ones?

Slow, not especially frugal, and generally a pretty unrefined engine IMHO.
Newbie advice -best diesel circa £5k - v0n
£5k won't get you Seat Leon, old Toledo diesel yes, but not Leon. They are relatively too new and too VW priced to fall to £5k in 3 years.

Saab 2.2 TiD is a fine car, high spec, well put together, engine is good except few niggles. The weak point is air mass meter, often packs up leaving car annoyingly slow and turbo laggy, costs £180 to replace. Fuel lines and injector gaskets are known to let air in causing starting problems when parked up hill. But once again, you won't find fine example of 2.2 TiD for £5k...
Newbie advice -best diesel circa £5k - machika
You would get a late model Xantia for that, or less. You may even find an early C5 for between £5k and £6K (they are OK if they have had all the known faults sorted out).
Newbie advice -best diesel circa £5k - machika
I forgot to add that there will be plenty of Xsaras around for that price, with the HDI engine.
Thanks for the replies

Seen quite a few Leon's diesels around the 5k mark, I think I will have a look at the Saab and test drive.

What about Alfa 156 JTD are they reliable ?

Newbie advice -best diesel circa £5k - v0n
Shan wrote:
Seen quite a few Leon's diesels around the 5k mark, I think I will have a look at the Saab and test drive.

I still doubt you can find Leon TDI for £5k. Just to give you example - if you use autotrader feature on the left hand side, there is only one advertised below £5000 and only two Leon TDI's below £5500 nationwide. Only two out of 196 advertised. My bet is if you can find Leon TDi on private second hand market for £5k it will be absolute stray with starship mileage and pile of fuel bills and receipts for new wipers treated as "service history". If someone sells car for less money than it's worth as trade back to dealer or straight part exchange you have to ask yourself why.

Saab 9-3 TiD is a great car. When you take it for test drive check for acceleration below 3000 on torque meter. TiD normally does 0 to 60 in 10 seconds, it has plenty of low torque power and it should feel like it has absolutely no problem leaving most cars behind on traffic lights. If you feel its lagging and slow and it pulls only when engine is working hard it's almost certainly air mass meter. It's a short unit that looks like corrugated hose just behind the air filter, easy to replace, but costs between £150 and £180 from dealership. Force seller to adjust price accordingly...

Newbie advice -best diesel circa £5k - Sofa Spud
Reasonable looking early Ford Galaxy/VW Sharan/Seat Alhambras are have dipped below the £5K level. A bit big, maybe, but useful cars and the 1.9 TDI ones are pretty economical too - 40 mpg but some people claim nearer 50. I've driven several Galaxies and really liked them. I'm thinking of getting an early Sharan/Alhambra TDI rather than a Galaxy - not so much a case of badge snobbery, more to do with the neater grille and lights.

Cheers, Sofa Spud
Newbie advice -best diesel circa £5k - No Do$h
What about Alfa 156 JTD are they reliable ?

You'll get 40mpg all day long from the 2.4JTD. I have had a breakdown in mine at around 40,000miles when the flywheel sensor decided to play up and tell the ECU that I was doing 8000rpm and not 4000rpm. They can also suffer from MAF failure if the air filter isn't correctly replaced. The 156, in common with current VAG cars, uses a hot film MAF which is susceptible to contamination if the filter isn't replaced when due or is replaced incorrectly, allowing dirty air past the filter. This applies to many modern TDs but the particular filter housing on the 156 seems to exacerbate the issue.

All 156 models suffer from suspension bush wear. Just as the Passat has a problem with front wishbones, the 156 can go through rear bushes every 30,000 if driven enthusiastically. Front ones can also go, but tend to last closer to 60,000.

I'm an enthusiastic owner/driver of a 2000 156 2.4JTD SW. You can find more info here in the Car-By-Car breakdown or for specifics try www.alfaowner.com and head for the forum and the 147/156 pages.

No Dosh - Backroom Moderator
mailto:moderators@honestjohn.co.uk
Newbie advice -best diesel circa £5k - Big Cat
< >

I find that incredible! Are you sure your trip computer is working ok or have you done brim to brim checks? Are these 1.9's really that good?
I've never had a Passat but if they give that sort of economy then I shall get one.
Newbie advice -best diesel circa £5k - DavidHM
I've rented two VW TDis in my time, both of them less than 6 months old.

I drove 400 miles in the Golf - brim to brim it gave 66 mpg (!) on a 90% motorway run and the Sharan gave about 48 mpg on a 500 mile journey that was entirely motorway.

The Golf was a 90 bhp, 51 plate and the Sharan a 115 bhp X plater.
Newbie advice -best diesel circa £5k - oldtoffee
>>I've never had a Passat but if they give that sort of economy then I shall get one.

I had one for 3 years, 80,000 miles and it was capable of that sort of economy provided you drove it with a very light foot and didn't push it over 70 mph. During the fuel shortages I managed 69mpg on a run from Ludlow to Windsor sticking to the town and rural speed limits and 65mph on the motorways. Boring but can't knock it. Normal brisk driving gave me 45 to 50 mpg. Our current HDi Picasso returns low 40's which is only 5mpg or so better than my Mondeo 2 litre petrol.

Newbie advice -best diesel circa £5k - andymc {P}
Have to agree that the VAG TDi is capable of excellent fuel economy without compromising on the engine power - I have a Leon and a Passat with the TDi engine and both average in the mid-fifties with plenty of enthusiastic driving.
For £5k, you may well be able to get an early Rover 75 - 1999/2000. It would probably be one of the lower spec ones though, unless you get one with a lot of miles on the clock. Some Passats are available for that money as well, although it may be a 1998 model. Alternatively, look at 8-10 year old BMW 5-Series or Mercs - the mileage may be well in excess of 100k, but the cars are well-built and a good one that's been well-looked after will last over 300k.
--
andymc
Vroom, vroom - mmm, doughnuts ...
Newbie advice -best diesel circa £5k - cheddar
Rubbish!

Focus / Mondeo TDCi's are just as economical as equivalent VW group models under the same conditions not to mention being much, much more refined and generaly better handling. If you get 65mpg from a Passat you are doing well, you obviously have an economical driving style and experience favourable road conditions however you would get the same or more out of a TDCi 115 or 130 under the same circumstances.

Newbie advice -best diesel circa £5k - Tim
Not so I'm afraid!

I've managed 78mpg on the Passat heading from Reading to Bristol at 60mph on cruise control. Focus hire car managed 61 last week -the Ford's have a reputation for relatively poor consumption for diesels although there exceptions.
Newbie advice -best diesel circa £5k - P 2501
78 mpg - Is this a trip readout display or your own calculation? if the former i wouldnt ever trust the cars computer and if the latter i would suggest you recheck your sums...
Newbie advice -best diesel circa £5k - mlj
Don't be too hasty, 78mpg was my record in a Golf 90bhp TDI. Recorded over 500 miles driving in France over 10 years ago. It was my first diesel and checked the mileage every fill. And I brimmed the tank toensure accurate readings. Never got near it again, but low 60s were common.
Newbie advice -best diesel circa £5k - cheddar
Ford's have a reputation for relatively poor consumption for
diesels >>

Where do you get this idea from, a VW dealer perhaps, tosh!

Perhaps going back four years plus the VW group diesels were more efficient (they launched the "PD" technology before Ford went common rail) i.e in the days of the 115ps PD 115 Golf v the 90ps TDDi 90 Focus (that being said the TDDi Mondeo competed very well with the PD 115 Passat). However today's common rail Ford diesels are every bit as efficient as their rivals and lot more refined than most.

I have never tried such a distance at 60 mph on cruise control to see what sort of MPG is possible, reckon would rather pay the extra few pence and save 15 or 20 mins off the journey. However until a year or so ago I did a regular 280 mile round trip in my Mondeo TDCi 130, Somerset to London, 20 odd miles of back roads, 85mph on cruise up the M4, usually lots of stop and start around Slough, Heston etc. I could easily average 50 mpg. From experience, though I have not measured it, I reckon a Passat PD 130 would do about the same though would be less refined and certainly not as much fun on the back roads.
Newbie advice -best diesel circa £5k - v8man
Have you considered the Peugeot 406 Hdi? A very good car and very economical. These can be picked up in high spec for not a lot.
--
\"Nothing less than 8 cylinders will do\"
Newbie advice -best diesel circa £5k - Sprice
Autoexpress have done an article on economy this week, basically, the ford diesel is crap on economy, no where near the vw range!
Newbie advice -best diesel circa £5k - Imagos
I drive brand new Passat and Mondeos regulary over highish distances and according to each of there trip computers, the Mondeos averages about 55mpg and the Passsats around 48-50 mpg.

It's mainly motorway stuff and I have a fairly hard driving style.

I would go for the Mondeo out of the two although Passats are still fine cars.
Newbie advice -best diesel circa £5k - googolplex
All this talk about mpg belongs in another thread but, to add my tuppence worth, I think all these claims and counter claims are a bit comical - I for one wouldn't stay awake driving from Reading to Bristol at any speed, leave alone 60 mph on cruise. 78mpg? - sounds like you pressed the wrong button on the calculator...In any case, its all a bit like saying my salad sandwich tastes better than your cheese roll...without giving a chance to swap...
And in any case, to get back to the original thread, there's more to buying a £5K car like...reliability, servicing costs, bodywork, etc(see current poll).

For £5k, I would forget performance and look for something with proven reliability such as a toyota. They may not be the most refined, but most cars have been thrashed about a bit by that stage...
Splodgeface
Newbie advice -best diesel circa £5k - Imagos
Original question in thread was about saving money by buying a diesel so I guess the MPG posts are relevant.
Newbie advice -best diesel circa £5k - googolplex
It depends on how far you take it. I just didn't think that some of the posts were helpful to someone looking to invest £5K in a motor. However, for someone looking to commute about 70 miles a day, the issue of reliability (in an older vehicle out of warranty)is important. Whatever they buy in a diesel line will be relatively fuel efficient, and, in my experience, the differences in mpg are less significant (in terms of overall runnning costs & other owning issues) than people often make out. You will achieve startling mpg in nearly all diesels if you drive at a constant 60mph...but, I would wager, that is not most people's experience on a commute, so rather irrelevant.
In terms of overall running costs, should this driver be buying diesel at all? I know this has been discussed before in the BR but it is relevant to this matter. I would argue yes, but not for financial reasons - more to do with driving experience which I find is preferable in a diesel.
Splodgeface
Thanks for all of your advice even though it did go into a battle of the mpg's !!

I think i might instead go for a contract hire or lease as doing 25 000 miles + a year in my own car would see it depreciate rather quickly and plus the mantenance costs. Does anyone recommend a contract hire co that would allow a annual limit of 30k and also provide maintenance. Most of the ones I have seen only cover upto 10k miles.

Shan
Newbie advice -best diesel circa £5k - malteser
30K a year - that'll cost a lot on contract I would guess. Whoever owns it, the car will have 90K in three years - massive depreciation hit! A contract hire co will want to build in a good margin to cover unexpected costs on this mileage. I think if you can find a contract hire to do such a deal there will be very high excess mileage costs over their norm, whatever that may be.
--
Roger. (Costa del Sol, España)
Newbie advice -best diesel circa £5k - Happy Blue!
Any car will depreciate over time, so 90,000miles over three years will only mean that you lose a maximum of say £3,500 on a £5,000 car - not bad for three years driving! Find the newest diesel that meets your needs; ignore absolute economy in favour of reliability and safety.

Any diesel, even with 100,000 miles on will go another 90,000 miles. just keep it serviced and change the cam belt and pulley.
--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
Newbie advice -best diesel circa £5k - David Horn
I picked up a Xsara with the good ol' 1.9 XUD engine for 3995 (blast you, IBM, why don't you put the pound sign on your keyboards!), with 60K on it. It's got an turbo+intercooler on it (no idea what the BHP is) but it's much nippier than my Dad's 2.0 Leganza and my brother's 1.6 Megane.

Returns anywhere from 45-55MPG, depending on how it's driven.