Tips on looking after a new shape mondeo - Ford Dagenham
Hello.

I have just taken delivery of a Y registered Ford Mondeo.

Iam was wondering what i should look out for in terms of the cars reliability and what could go wrong.

The car has 44,000 Miles on the digital display and has all its service stamps. so it looks like it has been well looked after.

Thankyou in advance.
--
(iam not a mechanic)

Martin Winters
Hello.

I Forgot to mention it has the 2.0 litre duratec engine.
--
(iam not a mechanic)

Martin Winters
Anyone have any ideas.
--
(iam not a mechanic)

Martin Winters
Tips on looking after a new shape mondeo - Jono_99
Not much to worry about.

Had a '51 plate 2.0 Mondeo for 18 months - never missed a beat and has very light use of oil and water. Have not had to change anything, prior to two tyres today (plus servicing)

Only tip would be to not put engine oil into PAS reservoir as I mindlessly did on Sunday morning - thankfully no damage done, but a pain to drain and re-fill

Jono
Hello

Thanks for the tip i will not mix up the fluids.

The car is a vast improvement over my old m reg 1.8

Iam really pleased with it.
--
(iam not a mechanic)

Martin Winters
Hello.

Iam not getting many helpfull tips.

Is everyone on holiday.
--
(iam not a mechanic)

Martin Winters
Tips on looking after a new shape mondeo - henry k
Can we assume you have
1. RTFM from front to back.
2. Taken the wheels off, checked the life left in the brake pads, checked the tyres for damage, checked the pressures of all five and put the wheels back on with the corect torque setting.
3. Identified how to access all bulbs.
4. Had the oil changed
5. Had it MoTed by a site that only does MoTs.

If the answer is YES to all the above then well done.

Perhaps there will be some more suggestions here soon.
Hello.

What is RTFM?

I checked all five wheels they are all nearly new except for the spare that is new (i.e. not used many times)

The brake pads (Front were changed at the last service.

The rear brake pads look like they are 1 quarter worn.

The bulbs are quite difficult to access though this is because of the bigger engine and because of the shape of the car.

It was mot'd on-site before i purchased it and it came with a printout that showed that it passed with flying colours.

The car was serviced before i received it. i checked the colour of the oil and it was honey coloured.

All parts such as the exhaust and brake pads are marked ford motorcraft which is reassuring.

The only thing that i will query is whether the bodywork has had a yearly inspection for its 12 year warranty.
--
(iam not a mechanic)

Martin Winters
Tips on looking after a new shape mondeo - Wales Forester
If you're worried about the bodywork, the only place you're likely to find any sort of corrosion (assuming no body repairs) will be the bottom edge of the doors. There have been quite a few warranty claims for this.

Ask your local Ford dealer to check for any outstanding recalls on the car by its reg or chassis number.
There was a rear brake recall on early new shape Mondeos which required new rear calipers fitting.
My Y reg also had a distinct clunk from the steering at just over 12000 miles which was solved by a new steering column on warranty.

Have a browse on www.fordmondeo.org you'll find a mine of useful information, hints and tips.

Enjoy,
PP
Tips on looking after a new shape mondeo - Wales Forester
Forgot to add, the headlights are easy to access for bulb changes, read the manual, you can remove the front grille and headlights in 1 minute, it's like a big Lego set!

PP
Tips on looking after a new shape mondeo - kithmo
The front bulbs are a doddle to change, open the bonnet, undo the two twist clips on the grill, remove the grill, pull out (up) the two metal strips that hold the headlamp in and pull out the headlamp a little, remove the connectors and pull out the headlamp completely. All the bulbs are accessible from the back of the lamp.
Watch the front tyres closely, any tracking problems or under inflation and they will wear extremely quickly on the edges.
A general concensus indicates that front tyres tend to last about 20,000 miles and rears at least twice that.
Tips on looking after a new shape mondeo - Dynamic Dave
What is RTFM?

Read The Flipping Manual

Tips on looking after a new shape mondeo - henry k
What is RTFM?

Read The Friendly Manual or a similar expression.
Identify and mark in it the parts that apply to your specific model.
Cross reference in the manual for ease of future reference.
I checked all five wheels they are all nearly new except
for the spare that is new (i.e. not used many times)

>>
>>Have you 2. Taken the wheels off, checked the tyres for damage,
and put the wheels back on with the corect torque setting.

If not this should be done.
This first allows you to confirm no inner wall damage and no tread damage.
It then reassures you that a wheel can be changed without resorting to brute force and then maybe failing.
Are the vents in the front disks clear of rust or crud?
Are the disks in good condition and within recommended thickness?
The bulbs are quite difficult to access though this is because
of the bigger engine and because of the shape of the car.

>>
See later responses and the manual should advise on this.
I have physically checked what bulbs are required for my 98 Mondeo and have been surprised at what discrepancies I found.
It was mot'd on-site before i purchased it and it came
with a printout that showed that it passed with flying colours.

>>
I get added reassurance from getting all my families cars MoTed at a long established company that ONLY does MoTs.
I watch them do it and they give advice on the car as they progress the test.
They do not sell cars, do not repair them and have no association with a garage.
I suspect they are a rare establishment.
(iam not a mechanic)

Of course if you are not sure of any of the above then you can ask the same questions of a garage or a friendly mechanic.

All my suggestions would apply to any seconhand car.