Auction practice - BobL
I went to Westbury the other night to try and buy a car. I bidded £325 prov on a 92 Polo. Paid the £200 deposit and waited for the office to get back to me. He wants £550 was the reply. I said no by which time a couple of other cars i may have been interested in had gone through. I then asked the office if there was any room for negotiation and was told the vendor/dealer wanted no less than £525, so i left it at that. I was a little annoyed that the auctioneer had made it a prov as obviously car was quite a way off the reserve. Is this normal practice or do you think the auctioneer recognised me as a private buyer and thought i might pay the full whack anyway? Interested to hear comments.
The selling costs at Westbury for this type of car are just over £40 for up to 3 times around. They put their catalogues on line and i notice that about 80% of the cars in the lower priced end of the sales appeared in the last three sales - obviously not selling previously. The car I bid on, I think was on its second appearence. Its listed for next week! Should just mention the car had years ticket , was the GT coupe model, 100k, looked very clean apart from very minor scrape
Auction practice - Ben {P}
Quite normal, its all a game. Dealers stick in a load of low bids so the vendor thinks its actually worth less than he first thought. trick is nowing when the vendors actually want to sell the cars. My last mond i was top bid two weeks running.
Auction practice - Thommo
Without diverting on to Bangernomics this is a very nice very well built quality little car. Now lets assume it sells for say £400, it will probably make another MOT so £200 a year plus maintenance for your motoring.

Lots and lots of similar examples as 10 year old+ car values just drop to the level of peanuts seemingly regardless of condition.

Go again next week and it should be yours...