Audi A6 crankshaft - Dave Andrews
i have an oil leak off the crankshaft on my 1998 1.8T A6.
the audi garage said it would cost £343.
is there any short term measure i can do - like put a sealant on it? the leak is very small and the only reason i need to get it done is that it drips on the drive (its dripping onto the cover underneath the engine then eventually drips onto drive). audi said to keep an eye on the oil level and i have been and it only drips a spot a day so nothing major but as we have blocked pave drive then its making a mess.
id imagine i can get it done cheaper at a non-audi approved garage.
they also said that they would need to take the cambelt and tensioner off so to get to it so would be advised to get this done at the same time - total cost £513.

can anyone offer advice
Audi A6 crankshaft - tartanraider
cat litter tray underneath with some kitty litter in it,maybe £3.50 your call.....
Audi A6 crankshaft - springyboy
I had a similar prob on a Pug309, oil was leaking from rear crankshaft seal and messing drive. Was not worth doing anything until a new clutch was needed, (old one worn out, not oiled-up because the oil leaks away on the block side of the flywheel) so I replaced the seal at same time as the clutch. If your A6 is a manual and the leak is at the clutch end you could do the same. If its at the belt end it would make some sense to get it done next time the belt needs changing.

In order to reduce the mess on the drive while I waited for the time when the clutch would need replacing, (one child learned on the car) I tied some sponge on the undertray at the point where the oil leaked thru, and this soaked up the oil. Just needed to squeeze the sponge once a month to get all the oil out.

Hope this helps.
Audi A6 crankshaft - Crinkly Dave
I think the Castrol "High Mileage" oil contains a solvent intended to swell seals to reseal them. Wynns used to do an additive to do this.
Park on the road and check oil regularly is the cheapest option.
Going to the Dealer is the most expensive.
Why not use drip trays whilst you check the local independents.
As this worries you, you obviously never ran an original mini or a BSA or Triumph motorbike

Give you a clue. What do you call a Triumph 500 that doesn't leak oil

"Empty"
Audi A6 crankshaft - none
Another point to bear in mind is that the seal will be leaking as you drive the car. Windblown oil will eventually cover the underside. Depending on how you see things, this could be good or bad.
Audi A6 crankshaft - DL
.....and oil will be leaking onto the cambelt!

A6 is a pretty easy car to access the belt; the front panel slides off to allow access to the engine.

While the belt is being done, the only extra work is to crack the crankshaft bolt off, remove the crankshaft cambelt sprocket and remove/install new oil seal.

I would estimate 4hrs chargeable work plus, say, £120max for the bits.
--
groups.msn.com/honestjohn - Pictures say a thousand words.....
Audi A6 crankshaft - Dave Andrews
so i take it this is bad leaking onto cambelt?! im not into mechanics so please be patient!!
i guess this work will have to be done eventually - just a large cost. already had the airbag sensor replaced this week and that was £185!
Audi A6 crankshaft - avantmatt
Hi,
I may be going back quite a while but you posted this thread last year about A6 cambelts.
I am going to change mine and wondered if you could advise me on how the front end slides off, or if you know of any sites that may have instructions on how to.
Any info would be appreciated.
A6 1.9tdi 1999-V
Thanks for your time.
Matt.
Audi A6 crankshaft - madf
try a Haynes manual for an Audi with that engine

madf

Audi A6 crankshaft - Alec
This will give you an idea :

phatcat_ed.tripod.com/V6.htm

Rgds
Alec
Audi A6 crankshaft - Alec
whoops it's a Passat not an A6......
Audi A6 crankshaft - Aprilia
Yes, I know how it is done, but its not easy to explain.

You take off the bumper
Remove the air intake pipe between the front panel and the air filter.
Remove the bolts holding the front panel (there are some at the top near the headlights and some at the bottom near the bottom of the radiator.
Dealers have 'guide tubes' that they insert through the front panel to support it whilst it is pulled forward - you'll have to improvise.
Once the the 'forward' position you refit the rear top panel bolts in the 'front' holes to keep it steady.