Fiesta 1.25 lx (W Reg) gearbox problems - Ford Dagenham
Hello.

I have noticed that the car has developed this small problem.

When engaging reverse (After holding clutch pedal for 3 seconds the gear still makes a small crunch.

If i still hold the pedal for a minute and move in and out of reverse (Whilst stationary) you can hear the gears engaging (moving slowly then stopping.)

Also it is hard to get into first when cold..

What could it be
--
(iam not a mechanic)

Martin Winters
hello

I think i should just re clarify the above.

"If i still hold the pedal for a minute and move in and out of reverse (Whilst stationary) you can hear the gears engaging (moving slowly then stopping.)"

Whilst stationary you can hear the gears engaging if i move the gearstick in and out of reverse you can hear the gears moving and clicking together.

Just had to clarify that incase someone thought i was moving whilst putting it in reverse.

--
(iam not a mechanic)

Martin Winters
Fiesta 1.25 lx (W Reg) gearbox problems - Aprilia
Sounds like a bit of clutch drag (there is no synchro on reverse on these gearboxes).
Hello

Is clutch drag bad can it wear out the clutch faster.

It is quite noticeable when dipping the clutch and selecting first gear at traffic lights you have to fight to get it in sometimes.
--
(iam not a mechanic)

Martin Winters
Fiesta 1.25 lx (W Reg) gearbox problems - Aprilia
Well, its not going to get better by itself and its not doing the gearbox any favours.
Start with the basics though - have you checked the clutch adjustment?
Hello.

Iam not familier with the IB5.

Though the wifes previos fiesta was a b5 gearbox.

Does this car have a ratchet mech on the pedal.

The System is hydralic.
--
(iam not a mechanic)

Martin Winters
Fiesta 1.25 lx (W Reg) gearbox problems - madf
No adjustment on post 1999 models..

It may be the clutch needs to be bled.. you may have air in it. Failing that a gearbox out job..

madf

Hello

The car is under warranty. Will that be covered.

--
(iam not a mechanic)

Martin Winters
Fiesta 1.25 lx (W Reg) gearbox problems - madf
Covered under warranty?
I assume it is not a FORD warranty. If it is, yes probably unless wear and tear.
If not a Ford warrnaty, then read the wording...

madf

Hello

It is a ford sureplan warranty for used cars

One of the motoring organisations garages today and they said that it should never need bleeding. have i noticed any fluid loss i answered no. We can bleed it for you but it will cost you £35.00 if it still does what you describe then the hydralic system (Bolted onto clutch release bearing will need to be replaced.

Was the car driven by an elder person or a boy racer before you purchased the car. I said no but the man who owned it previosly (From new i must add) was only 50 ah ok the man said.

Do you ride the clutch. No i replied i use the clutch as it was intended (Gear Changing) not riding it while stationary and i do not use the gears to slow down i use the brakes.

He went on to say that it is unusual your car has developed this fault as you have answered no to my key questions Fiestas do not usualy develop this fault only larger cars seem to be on the list.

I will not get this problem sorted until it gets a little worser as i have caught it early i was told.
--
(iam not a mechanic)

Martin Winters
Should read *I Rang one of the motoring organisations.......

Sorry about my sentence corrections i think i need stronger glasses.
--
(iam not a mechanic)

Martin Winters
Hello.

Just to keep you updated.

The clutch went yesterday and it really smelled nasty.
--
(iam not a mechanic)

Martin Winters
Fiesta 1.25 lx (W Reg) gearbox problems - his nibs
Hello

When you find out the exact cause I would be grateful if you would post it up here.

I drive a Ka with the IB5 gearbox, I must admit that upon first reading your original post I suspected the cause of the crunching was changing gear into reverse too fast. It has been recommended to me to engage neutral briefly before engaging reverse to avoid the crunch I was experiencing; this has since solved the problem. I have never had this with any other car.

It would seem your problem is somewhat more serious though.

Thanks

Ben
Hi

The Reverse gear would crunch even if the pedal was pressed and left for a minute or two.

It must have been the clutch sticking.

On Friday the clutch went it must have got stuck and caught fire or something.
--
(iam not a mechanic)

Martin Winters