Radio coding - Martin
I had to fit a new battery to my car yesterday and the radio, a Blaupunkt Verona, needs its code re-entering. I thought I could remember how to do it, but obviously couldn't, and now (after three attempts) it won't give me the "Code" message when I switch it on. I found the scrap of paper that came with it (secondhand),so now know how to enter the code correctly, if only it would let me! Can anyone tell me whether I just need to leave it alone for a while, either in or out of the car, or whether I'll have to have it "re-coded"?

Thanks

Martin
Re: Radio coding - Dwight Van-Driver
Martin

Did the same on my Discovery and it was three strikes and out - total lock out. Had to take it to a Re-coder to get it back on line.
Cost £20. Check around for them and compare prices.
Having said that there is a lot of good advice to come I am sure so fingers crossed.
DVD.
Re: Radio coding - Cliff Pope
I once had this problem, having tried 3 wrong codes and then been locked out. The manual said leave the radio connected for 2 hours, and then try again. It worked.
Re: Radio coding - Lee H
Not sure about the Verona, but the various Blaupunkt radios I've had all just had long delays when you entered the wrong code.

I'd give it >24 hours to see if it comes back to life.

Lee.
Re: Radio coding - Andy
Martin

Am sure that I had a Blaupunkt Verona in my first car and suffered the same problem once.

I think that you need to switch on the ignition so that the three locked bars show up on the radio display. Leave the ignition on for about half an hour and the bars should then begin flashing to show you that the radio is no longer locked. If memory serves me correctly, the first number can only be a 1 or nothing, whilst the second, third and fourth can range from 1 to 9. So, if, as was the case with me, the person has written down a code ending in the number 1, trying looking at the code upside down. For example, mine was written 6091 when the actual code was 1609. Do not know whether this is the exception or the rule but, boy, did I feel satisfied when I worked it out...!

Good luck and e-mail me if this does not solve the problem or you would like some further advice with regard to entering the code. I seem to remember that I contacted Blaupunkt and they send me a photocopy of the radio manual.

Andy

P.S. A word of warning. If you fail to enter the code correctly when the radio is no longer locked, some are designed to then take an hour to unlock, and so on.
Re: Radio coding - markymarkn
some radios are designed so that if you mess it up the first time, you have to wait an hour, 2nd 2 hours, 3rd 4 hours and so on so be carefull how you go!

also, remember you usually need to leave it with the ignition ON, and if you turn it off at 59 minutes 59 seconds you need to start all over again. (there designed to be as annoying as possible).

what you could do to get round this is wire both semi (memory) and permanent +ve on the back of the stereo into the permanent +ve feed, cutting out the ignition switch, until the timer runs out.

If your careful enough and can manage to reconnect the semi-permanent without disconnecting the permanent you wont have to enter the code again. (assuming you've entered the code correctly before you wire it back how it was)

There are also a number of back street radio decoders around, I know there used to be one in the town I live, but they might be a bit dodgy.

Mark
Re: Radio coding - John Kenyon
markymarkn wrote:
>
> some radios are designed so that if you mess it up the first
> time, you have to wait an hour, 2nd 2 hours, 3rd 4 hours and
> so on so be carefull how you go!
>
> also, remember you usually need to leave it with the ignition
> ON, and if you turn it off at 59 minutes 59 seconds you need
> to start all over again. (there designed to be as annoying as
> possible).
>
> what you could do to get round this is wire both semi
> (memory) and permanent +ve on the back of the stereo into the
> permanent +ve feed, cutting out the ignition switch, until
> the timer runs out.
>
> If your careful enough and can manage to reconnect the
> semi-permanent without disconnecting the permanent you wont
> have to enter the code again. (assuming you've entered the
> code correctly before you wire it back how it was)

Good idea - but don't forget that when you reset the wiring back to
normal, you'll probably end up disconnecting the battery, and will
have to enter the code again! (unless you want retain the ability to
leave the radio on when the ignition is off.)

/john
Re: Radio coding - KB
Didn't something like this get a mention recently? As a result I went out and bought a Draper Computer Memory Saver (part no.38330) for less than a tenner. Plugs in to cig. lighter using 9volt battery. Apparently saves all manner of bother when exchanging batteries.
Re: Radio coding - Martin
Thnaks to all!
The solution was to leave it switched on for over an hour so that the "Cod" (ie Code) message returned.
Re: Radio coding - RogerL
Memory Savers only work if your cigarette lighter socket is permantly live. If it is switched by the ignition, like Vauxhalls, then it wont work. You could then use jump-leads and a spare battery (or friends car).
Re: Radio coding - AudiMartin
As there is another Martin, I'll start calling myself AudiMartin...