Insurance - Mark( Brazil) - Pete Williams
After asking a question on this website I have saved about £300 in insurance this year by correctly asking the telephone sales operative to check what class I needed. I was ably assisted by Mark ( Brazil).

Advice to those giving up the company car.

1. Make sure you specify exactly what travelling you do and whether appointments are pre-arranged- as Mark suggested this seems to be key.

2. Try an independant broker rather than Yellow Pages. They undertsand you better and know what you're after. Again as Mark suggested the average telephone opeartiev knows little more about insurance than a Tesco cashier knows about pig breeding. If there ain't a box to tick it gets confusing.

In my experience incorrect, unjustified advice is the norm. Stick at it, insist they check with the underwriter and you may afford an extra weekend away somewhere. Why doesn't somebody investigate this for a national Saturday motoring section just to see what results and different opinions they get by phoning around. Hint, hint.
Re: Insurance - Mark( Brazil) - Mark (lost in Brazil)
Pete,

Glad we could help and you're very welcome.

Now, if you tell all your friends how helpful and nice the backroom forum is, you'll be helping us very much too

Cheers,

Mark.

p.s. thanks for the "end" of the story, I wish more people detailed the outcome, its interesting and useful to know which piece of advice worked.