smokey astra diesel - gingerwinger
i have just got a turbo diesel astra. when i start it from cold it pumps out loads of smoke for about 30seconds/1 min then all is fine. it only smokes lots from cold. should it do this or not as this is the first diesel i have had.
smokey astra diesel - DL
Does it start easily and run smoothly from cold? Does the engine vibrate and generally feel uneven whilst this excess smoke is emitted?

I'm thinking along the lines of faulty glow plug(s)
--
groups.msn.com/honestjohn - Pictures say a thousand words.....
i do the glow plug light on the dash twice then start the car but it turns about 7/8 times then it starts. when first started it runs rough for few seconds then its ok once the smoke has gone. should i replace the glow plugs then ??? also engine knocks abit when first started but same again once smoke gone it run/drive fine.
smokey astra diesel - Civic8
How long is the light on for? is it just a few seconds or around 10 seconds..degrading of glow plugs shows up in time taken for them to heat up. Just a few seconds would say they need replacing. if the light takes around the ten second mark would say you have another prob. though doubt it. unless you have an air leak in fuel system
--
Steve
the light only stay's on for about 3 seconds. i will change the glow plugs today. thanks for the replys.
smokey astra diesel - DL
From your description, I reckon that'll cure it.
--
smokey astra diesel - Crinkly Dave
If you use the "search" facility you will find a few strings on changing & testing glow plugs. Usually fairly straightforward, unless on sticks. Usual to change them all, but those on the Isuzu engine can be pricey I think
ouch just been down to the car shop to get set of glow plugs. £17.50 each. so im going to test the plugs first. aint got a clue how to test them but hoping to find something on here that will give me step by step instructions. unless one of you guys can give me rough idea.
smokey astra diesel - DL
Testing isn't always conclusive, but it'll give you a good idea whats hot and whats not....

You can test the current draw of the plugs with them in situ if you have a meaty (60A+) ammeter - you should see an inital draw of 10A per plug at least. This will drop off as they heat.

Otherwise, remove each plug in turn and connect across the terminals of the battery with a jumper wire and observe the tip of the plug. Note the warmup time and glow intensity.

For more info, try a forum search, there is loads on here about this very subject.
--
right slight problem i think........ i have been trying to remove the glow plugs so that i can test them (one at a time) but i am unable to remove them as they are very very tight. i can't even got them to turn slightly. i thought that they would be like removeing a spark plug. should they be so tight ?? what do i do now ??? please help me
smokey astra diesel - Schnitzel
They shouldn't be too difficult to remove with a deep socket, they're only small diameter, if they are, they were probably put in too tight and it has damaged them.
smokey astra diesel - Railroad.
Current draw should actually be about 20A each.

A total of 80A for a four cylinder engine, dropping as the glow plugs warm up.
a mate has done a test on the glow plugs and there is no power to the plugs. where would i find the relay and fuse for the plugs. as i now think it may be a fuse or relay problem.
smokey astra diesel - Crinkly Dave
Try tracing the cable back from the glowplugs. It is fairly large, and unlike the other underbonnet cabling. Even if it disappears into a harness you should soon locate the same size & colour cable.
Relays for this usually on inner wing, and pretty large. May have an integral control unit for timing, and will have a pretty large feed from the battery
Tough about the plugs being tight. Previous strings pointed out this could be a problem. Should only be about 11lbf or less