'Jumping' empty Pelican crossings on red - LHM
We've all seen it..... pedestrian presses button on crossing, sees gap in traffic, crosses - then the lights turn red. So, if first to arrive, what do you do? Wait at empty crossing, trying to avoid looking at smirking pedestrian for fear of increasing blood pressure - or (heaven forbid!) creep over crossing and hope no-one of a constabulary nature is watching?
'Jumping' empty Pelican crossings on red - Cliff Pope
I was about to post a similar query about "jumping" non-working temporary traffic lights.
A set I pass every morning are never working - both directions set permanently at red. Most drivers sort this out for themselves, ignoring the lights and moving in alterating blocks each direction. A small proportion of drivers stop and refuse to move, creating a massive tail-back, and encouraging impatient drivers to overtake to pass the red light.
What is the correct procedure? Bear in mind it will be about 3 hours before the Council workforce arrive to fix the lights.
'Jumping' empty Pelican crossings on red - Bromptonaut
In the car I'd wait, but on the pedal bike I routinely nip accross, twice just this morning. Thinking about it it's a risk assessment issue. On the bike I've every chance of avoiding the pedestrian who steps out and we're both about the same size and weight. The penalty for shooting a red on a bike is a £30 fixed penalty, but coppers cannot be bothered and just adminster a finger wagging. Camera enforcement not possible. In the car it's enforceable and endorseable, the fine is at least double and most importantly the chances of avoidance and weight/damage contest with the pedestrian asserting their right of way make it a no go risk.
'Jumping' empty Pelican crossings on red - LHM
Sorry, I didn't mean to imply there was a 'contest' with the pedestrian! I was referring to crossings where you can see that the 'offender' has safely crossed, the lights turn red, and there's absolutely no-one else about to cross.....
'Jumping' empty Pelican crossings on red - Schnitzel
I'm starting to treat certain lights I know well as give way lines, especially at night, as it's getting rediculous, I seem to spend all my time stopping to stare at empty junctions or crossings, thanks to the government and council's anti-motorist policies.
'Jumping' empty Pelican crossings on red - Citroënian {P}
Switzerland have a good approach to this. After 7pm or all the lights just flash amber and they trust you to use common sense at junctions.

It works well, but here I suspect there would be carnage.
--
Lee
MINI adventure coming to an end
'Jumping' empty Pelican crossings on red - madux
Some Swiss traffic lights turn red at night. The first car to arrive, from any direction, gets a green light - but only after slowing down for the red light. This actually reduces journey times, at the same time making traffic (nearly) stop at junctions.
'Jumping' empty Pelican crossings on red - Dwight Van Driver
H

Reg 12 (1)(d) Zebra, Pelican, Puffin Pedestrian Xing Regs 1997.

RED SIGNAL shall convey the prohibition that vehicle traffic shall not proceed beyond the Stop Line.

Unless you are one of the Emergency Services and to stop would hinder the purpose of the use of the vehicle.

Offence is failing to conform to a Traffic Sign - NOIP required and in additoon to a fine 3 points.

Cliff.

In a case heard at Dublin District Court way back in 1959, where lights apparently stuck at red it was held that a driver who has waited a reasonable time (?)for them to change to his favour may proceed with caution against them. There is the view that if the lights have in fact failed they can be ignored as they then no longer comply with regulations.

DVD

'Jumping' empty Pelican crossings on red - Nsar
Anyone else noticed how if the traffic lights are out at a crossroads, you always get through much quicker. I like the Swiss idea.
'Jumping' empty Pelican crossings on red - frostbite
And if the lights are out at one of those silly roundabout/TL combos, that goes double.
'Jumping' empty Pelican crossings on red - Altea Ego
I admit here that on a certain roundabout over the A3 that had peak hour traffic lights that suddenly became full time, I completley and utterly disregard what the lights are doing. Its a roundabout for gods sake and worked perfectly well before the lights appeared peak or otherwise. Lights? what lights.
'Jumping' empty Pelican crossings on red - bax
Does the same rule/law apply to temporary lights around roadworks?
'Jumping' empty Pelican crossings on red - Dwight Van Driver
Portable light signals for the control of vehicular traffic other than tramcars shall be -

(a) of the size, colour and type shown in diagram 3000.1;

(b) illuminated in the sequence prescribed by regulation 33(3); and

(c) so constructed that, if European Standard EN12368: 2000 applied to portable signals, they would be ES compliant.

If they do not comply they are not a legal authorised sign.

Would add a word of warning. If, on a technically the lights were not lawful, this I would submit would not preclude evidence about them being given to support a due care etc. You woulkd of course get away with failing to conform.

DVD
'Jumping' empty Pelican crossings on red - John R @ home {P}
This relates to any light controled situation not to just pedestrian crossings or road works.

Traffic Light Signals, from that bible of the road, The Highway Code.

Traffic light with red light on...
RED means 'Stop'. Wait behind the stop line on the carriageway.

Traffic light with red and amber lights on...
RED AND AMBER also means 'Stop'. Do not pass through or start until GREEN shows.

Traffic light with amber light on...
AMBER means 'Stop' at the stopline. You may go on only if the AMBER appears after you have crossed the stop line or are so close to it that to pull up might cause an accident.

Traffic light with green light on...
GREEN means you may go on if the way is clear.

A GREEN ARROW may be provided in addition to the full green signal if movement in a certain direction is allowed before or after the full green phase. If the way is clear you may go but only in the direction shown by the arrow. You may do this whatever other lights may be showing. White light signals may be provided for trams.

Please pay special attention to the top 3 combinations and that the current trend of treating RED as OPTIONAL is wrong and dangerous.

Regards,

John R @ Home
'Jumping' empty Pelican crossings on red - Carole

Looking at it from a different angle here, and perhaps slightly off the subject, my use of crossings as a part-time pedestrian who is also a car driver is as follows:
1) I check out the whole scenario before deciding which of the following actions to carry out.
2) I don't interrupt the flow of traffic if there is likely to be a safe opportunity to cross fairly soon (depends on time of day, location of lights etc.).
3) If traffic is heavy and I have pressed to cross, but while waiting a suitable gap apppears, I tend to wait till the lights turn anyway - because I know how annoying it is to be stopped by a red light and no-one crossing.
4) If there are younger children at the other side, I (normally)use the crossing properly, irrespective of traffic flow, in order to set an example.

As a car driver, I find those stretches of road where there are Pelican crossings every hundred yards or so (as in the centre of Sheffield) extremely frustrating - they're a bit excessive, I think, but do they perhaps they have a dual purpose, in that they're also intended to break up the traffic flow?

But then again, Sheffield City Council don't much like car-drivers anyway.