Uninsured drivers - BrianT
Having been the unfortunate victim of damage caused by a stolen car two years ago, and this year by an abusive 'roll back' driver who shot off after damaging the front of my car and now can't be traced, I am sick of supporting the UK insurance industry by constant loss of no claims and spiralling premiums. Either we all start driving uninsured to level up the playing field or the law should start getting very tough on this matter.
At the present time its cheaper to pay the fine if anyone manages to trace you and get you into court, and you don't even get a ban! This didn't use to be the case. What do the rest of you think?
Re: Uninsured drivers - John
Brian I am beginning to agree. Last evening the wife was at a junction and 4 guys in a car in front reversed into her. Got 2 witnesses and the reg. etc. Reported it to the policeand 24 hours later they dont even expect to look at the report for another 48 hours. By which time the oik could well have got rid of the other car, reported it stolen, repaired the damage. The loser is likely to be me and not them in an old banger. Excess to pay and loss of NCD. Just wish I could find out where they live because I have no faith in the Police doing anything.
Re: Uninsured drivers - David Moore
Yeah my insurance on the Polo would be £1500 and is still £500 on my parents policy; having to use this is an arse because I am not building up my own no-claims.
Re: Uninsured drivers - Honest John
If the rumours are correct, every honestly insured vehicle owner in the UK will soon face an insurance hike of at least 50% to pay for the WTC. This is going to drive more owners out of bothering with insurance and drive our premiums up even further. If you suffer any damage to your car by another driver, always claim you have been injured because this forces the police to force the other driver to supply insurance details. They may not have any, but if they do at least you get the details.

HJ
Re: Uninsured drivers - John
HJ good advice for next time but made a statement of "no injury" so can't go back on it now?.
Re: Uninsured drivers - crazed idiot
often whiplash for instance doesnt become painful and noticeable until a day or two after the accident, so telling a bobby at the scene that u r ok doesnt mean u cannot say subsequently that u r hurt...
Re: Uninsured drivers - rogerb
I've vaguely heard of The Motor Insurance Bureau, here in MIlton Keynes, which, I believe, helps motorists who are victims of uninsured drivers.
Seems too good to be true - can anyone shed more light?
Re: Uninsured drivers - Andrew Hamilton
Very useful that suggestion of claiming you are injured to get insurance details. Only once been in the situation where driver disappears. I was parked at Sainsburys. Driver misjudged his parking distance and hit my towbar! As he roared off, I had no damage but I guess he was impressed at the front.
Re: Uninsured drivers - Cockle
Roger, having had experience of this, the Motor Insurers Bureau will pay out for the injury damages side of a claim against an uninsured driver but not for damage covered on your own insurance, hence if you are Full Comp bye,bye NCD. Certainly this was the case nine years ago. Basically the MIB is funded by all the Insurers chipping in to cover for injuries caused by uninsured drivers, so in effect we all pay a bit into the kitty, those of us that are insured anyway.
In my case SWMBO was rear-ended at a red light, other driver supplied false details then did a runner. Took four years bar a week to get him into court, he was charged with TDA, uninsured, unaccompanied on a provisional licence and failing to report an accident. Fined a total of £440 plus £70 costs. Cost me a write-off which didn't get within 20% of market value, over £800 in lost NCD and most importantly six months running backwards and forwards to hospitals with SWMBO and my three year old son who was in the back. Fortunately both made a complete recovery. During the case I was told by a person at the MIB that they reckoned that 25% of drivers were uninsured, with the increase in premiums it must be far higher now.
Sorry if I've gone on a bit but I really think driving uninsured is about the most irresponsible thing that you can do and the sooner the book gets thrown at the culprits the better. If the penalty is lower than the cost of a years insurance you can see why people do it.
Re: Uninsured drivers - Andy P
My suggestion would be for the following:

1. An insurance disc, similar to the tax disc, in a very prominent colour.

2. Failure to insure the car should result in an automatic £5000 fine and confiscation of the oik's car.

3. If the fine is not paid with 1 week, the car would either be crushed, or if of merchantable quality, auctioned off to pay for enforcement.

Andy
Re: Uninsured drivers - Dwight Van-Driver
Understand that Insurance Companies supply details of all insured motor vehicles to a data base similar to the Police National Computor so that with a flick of the finger mr Plod can now check to see if a vehicle is Insured. This is why your policy has been changed from covering any vehicle owned etc etc to an identifiable VRM.
Should help in attacking the uninsured.
Re: Uninsured drivers - Andrew
The MIB will entertain a claim for injury accidents where the other party is unidentified ie hit and run or where the other party is identified but uninsured. I believe it will now also entertain a claim for damage only accidents where the offending driver is identified but uninsured.

Andrew
Another interesting point is that the Road Traffic Act states that the driver of a vehicle must be in possesion of a certificate of security covering them for third party risks i.e. a certificate of insurance. They are then classed as insured.
However if their insurance company for some reason decides to renegade on the policy, for example it is discovered the insured does not infact have a licence or they have made a fraudulant aplication, then they cannot be prosecuted for 'No Insurance'.
In other words they only have to have a policy, it does not have to guarentee that it is going to pay out in the event of a claim.
Now making a false statement to an insurance company is an offence but it is'nt going to get you your money.
When making inquiries in respect of insurance policies the first question is usually " Have they been involved in an accident?" If its, "yes" then they are only too willing to drop them in it. If its," no" then its a more of a case of "well on this ocassion we do not see a problem but we will need to speak to our client . In other words " Don't want to loose our customer and their could be some more money in this."
So you see it's not black and white there is conflict between the civil and criminal law.
Re: Uninsured drivers - Mark (lost in Brazil)

> Another interesting point is that the Road Traffic Act states
> that the driver of a vehicle must be in possesion of a
> certificate of security covering them for third party risks
> i.e. a certificate of insurance. They are then classed as
> insured.

No, sorry, but you are quite wrong.

A certificate of insurance is regarded as normally acceptable proof of insurance. However, these are frequently checked with the insurance company, even more so with cover notes.

Even if that certificate had been valid but insurance had been revoked by means of 7 days written warning, recorded delivery to the last known address, then that person is not insured and can be prosecuted for no insurance.

In addition, "in possesion" is defined, as well as an additional part clarifying that it is your responsibility to ensure that your certificate is valid, not your insurers.

> fraudulant aplication, then they cannot be prosecuted for 'No
> Insurance

If the error is dicovered at that moment, and it has not been through the '7 day process" mentioned above, then not only is that person insured, the insurance company must also satisfy the claim. therefore, there is no "no insurance" case to be answered.

However, since that person was in breach of policy conditions, one of which is disclosure, then the insurance company is entitled to sue for the recovery of those monies under civil law.

> In other words they only have to have a policy, it does not
> have to guarentee that it is going to pay out in the event of
> a claim.

Yes it does.

> So you see it's not black and white there is conflict between
> the civil and criminal law.

It *is* black and white and there is *no* conflict between civil and criminal law, and neither can there be.

If you are meaning that a police officer is unlikely to check the validity of an insurance certificate, then whilst the odds are in your favour, they check one hell of a lot more than you think they do.

Mark
Mark I agree with what you are saying. However your arguments are based mostly around civil law. The points I was trying to put across are based around practical reality, problems that could be encountered by claimants and how caselaw and the CPS interpret the Road traffic Act.
If a third party were making a claim and the insurance company were refusing to pay on the grounds that their client had broken their agreement, not withstanding the '7 day process' then it would be a matter of making a civil claim against the insurance company which would well succeed, however the hassle and time factor to reach a settlement could put most people off.

If the above scenario were the case then you would expect that the claimant could approach the Police and claim that as the other parties insurance company were refusing to pay up the other party must not have been insured.

However the Road Traffic Act states that the driver of a vehicle must be in posession of a certificate of security covering them for third party risks i.e. a Certificate of Insurance - which of course they had at the time. *What the Road Traffic Act does not state is that that policy must pay up in the event of a valid claim and if it does not then the holder is guilty of using a vehicle without Insurance.* That is the interpretation of the prosecuting autorities and that is where I see the conflict between Criminal and Civil law.

Let me give you another practical example. Someone is banned say for a month under the 'totting up' procedure. They continue to drive. During that month they are stopped by the police and produce an Insurance Cetificate which was obtained prior to being banned. It is then discovered that they are disqualified. They are duly processed. Despite what it says in the small print about being the holder of a licence and not being disqualified ( which it does not actually say on my Certificate) the reality is that until the " 7 day process" is initiated that person is the holder of a Certificate of Insurance etc. etc. under the Road traffic Act. And my experience is that prosecution is not pursued. Of course the only person who would notify the Insurance Company is the Policy Holder. They have not made a false declaration as the policy was already in force prior to being banned. They have of course not fulfilled their obligations to notify the insurance company but that is not a criminal offence.

Andrew

PS Spare me the shift on Mike Papa Zero 7 unless it is with Mark. I think we would have a lot to talk about!!!!!!!
Re: Uninsured drivers - Mark (Brazil)
Andrew wrote:
> If a third party were making a claim and the insurance company were refusing to pay on the grounds that their client
> had broken their agreement, not withstanding the '7 day process' then it would be a matter of making a civil claim
> against the insurance company which would well succeed,

They are effectively unable to avoid some types of claim. For sure they cannot avoid TPI, and I believe, although I am not sure, that this was extended to Third Party damage also.

The portion of the claim they can avoid easily is damage/loss on the part of the policy holder. But having this portion of insurancve is not compulsory under the RTA.

> however the hassle and time factor to reach a settlement could put most people off.

That is certainly true. And a pretty sad indictment, also. Regrettably it is also self-fulfilling. The more peopel that believe this, the more that various parties, including insurance companies, become aware that being obstructive can be financially beneficial.

> If the above scenario were the case then you would expect that the claimant could approach the Police and claim that as
> the other parties insurance company were refusing to pay up the other party must not have been insured.

Maybe. As I said, I believe that TP cannot be avoided, although it can be recovered, and therefore without the 7 day process then the insurance is valid. Interestingly this gets very complex when the vehicle is being used in the course of a crime, which does not invalidate the TPI responsiblilty of the insurer.

> However the Road Traffic Act states that the driver of a vehicle must be in posession of a certificate of security
> covering them for third party risks i.e. a Certificate of Insurance - which of course they had at the time.

>*What the Road Traffic Act does not state is that that policy must pay
> up in the event of a valid claim and if it does not then the
> holder is guilty of using a vehicle without Insurance.*

Leave that one with me, I need to go and dig something out.

However, all of your points depend on the ability of an insurer to avoid third party liability, which I believe they cannot. I am, however, gonna check.

>They have not made a false declaration as the policy was already in force prior to being banned.

Its called material change and is part of your policy conditions.

>They have of course not fulfilled their obligations to notify the insurance company but that is not a criminal offence.

It may be. It depend if "intent" can be proved.

> PS Spare me the shift on Mike Papa Zero 7 unless it is with
> Mark. I think we would have a lot to talk about!!!!!!!

Actually, I can go on like this as long as I have a flow of beer. Of course that flow of beer does fairly quickly preclude sensible discussion.
Here we go........

The following comes from the RTA 1988, C.52 Part 6 (TPL) S. 151 P. 5.

(5) Notwithstanding that the insurer may be entitled to avoid or cancel, or may have avoided or cancelled, the policy or security, he must, subject to the provisions of this section, pay to the persons entitled to the benefit of the judgment?

(a) as regards liability in respect of death or bodily injury, any sum payable under the judgment in respect of the liability, together with any sum which, by virtue of any enactment relating to interest on judgments, is payable in respect of interest on that sum,

(b) as regards liability in respect of damage to property, any sum required to be paid under subsection (6) below, and

(c) any amount payable in respect of costs.

There's loads more, and I won't bore you with it, although I do now have it electronically and I can e-mail it to you if you ask. There are even more detailed and explanatory sections, but this one essentially covers it.

However, the net result is that unless an Insurance Policy has *already* been cancelled, then it is not legally possible to avoid TP Claims. Given that, then no offence, at least insofar as the RTA is concerned, has been commited. There may, or may not, have been criminal fraud depending on intent and benefit. Either way, you have exposed yourself to a civil liability through breach of contract by actions or ommisions such as disclosure or material change.

If the insurance *has* already been cancelled, then the MIB may decide that the Insurer must still pay given that he was the most recent or relevant insurer, but the "insured" would be liable to prosecution since he was not legally insured beyond an internal control & benefit of the MIB.

I.E. Take no crap. If you are the TP, they must may your damages and will get kicked if it goes to court.

And in case that's all too serious, then I would end it by saying "nyaah, nyaah, I was right".

M.

p.s. usual disclaimer, its your responsibility to get it right, not mine. The above could be total rubbish, except that its not, but I am not warranting or implying that it is not. If you have a doubt take *your* policy or case to *your* lawyer.
p.p.s.

Andrew - if you want to discuss it more, let's do it over a beer in England rather than here in the BR, my fingers are tired.
Re: Uninsured drivers - Dan J
All good stuff and it's nice to see so much knowledge being spread on here!

My addition to this is that a couple of years back someone hit my stepfather's car whilst it was parked outside his father's house. He ran out in time to see the guy getting out the car and running into his house (was a very quiet cul-de-sac). He went over and knocked and a woman answered who swore blind noone had been out in the car all day etc etc. This guy even had the cheek to come back out and inspect the back of the car when he thought noone was looking! We went back round there and he steadfastly refused to give us his insurance details (which he may or may or not have had anyway).

Anyway, we took the plate details of his car and reported him to the Police. They did not want to know and were (apparently) under no obligation to do anything about the situation.

We then took the guy to court who still refused to provide any details of insurance. He claimed he was also penniless and could not afford to pay any of the repair costs to the car - Court found in our favour and made him pay the cost of 400 quid's worth of repairs at 10 quid a week.

The last bit is the key bit - 10 quid a week, and noone at any point gave a sh!t that this guy refused to provide insurance details (police/court etc).

It does seem that in current situation there are minimal penalties for those who drive uninsured and the process of making them ay for their damage are so expensive and complicated it must deter many people. I remeber several people I knew at uni who preferred to take the risk as they couldn't afford the 800 quid per year to drive their cars.

Dan
> We went back round there and he steadfastly refused
> to give us his insurance details (which he may or may or not
> have had anyway).
>
> We then took the guy to court who still refused to provide
> any details of insurance.

Strange...................

154.?(1) A person against whom a claim is made in respect of any such liability as is required to be covered by a policy of insurance under section 145 of this Act must, on demand by or on behalf of the person making the claim?
(a) state whether or not, in respect of that liability?
(i) he was insured by a policy having effect for the purposes of this Part of this Act or had in force a security having effect for those purposes, or
(ii) he would have been so insured or would have had in force such a security if the insurer or, as the case may be, the giver of the security had not avoided or cancelled the policy or security, and
(b) if he was or would have been so insured, or had or would have had in force such a security?
(i) give such particulars with respect to that policy or security as were specified in any certificate of insurance or security delivered in respect of that policy or security, as the case may be, under section 147 of this Act, or
(ii) where no such certificate was delivered under that section, give the following particulars, that is to say, the registration mark or other identifying particulars of the vehicle concerned, the number or other identifying particulars of the insurance policy issued in respect of the vehicle, the name of the insurer and the period of the insurance cover.
(2) If without reasonable excuse, a person fails to comply with the provisions of subsection (1) above, or wilfully makes a false statement in reply to any such demand as is referred to in that subsection, he is guilty of an offence.
make a formal complaint about the copper who u reported this offence to...

as soon as you start to do this things will change

as long as there are witnesses to the guy driving at some point etc
Mark

Sounds good to me!

Just another example which I had to deal with. Elderley gentleman sets off from his house and about 500m down the road sadly suffers a fatal heart attack, veers to the nearside and hits parked cars which were subsequently written off.
I assisted one of the owners with their claim form and managed to obtain insurance details of the elderley gentleman. His insurance company would not honour the claim as they said that as the driver had suffered a heart attack, and that he had no history of illness, he therefore could not be held negligent and that they were therefore not liable for the claim. They also stated that as he was dead prior to impact he was no longer the driver!
Got to rank as one of the top excuses that one. I assisted in a series of letters to them stating that they were unable to catagorically say that he was dead prior to impact as the only person who is able to certify death is a doctor and that was done when the gentleman was removed to and arrived at hospital - well if they can get smart!
They continued in the same vane stating that as he had had a heart attack he was not negligent and therefore they were not liable. Eventually the claimant gave up and made a no fault claim on their own insurance.
I believe that had they taken the matter to court then they would have won but there again its the "hassle factor." I was also under the impression that it was the vehicle that was insured and not the driver.
Anyway just goes to show that insurance companies can be devious.

Andrew.
>>What do the rest of you think?

People who intentionally drive uninsured should lose their licence for years, have their car confiscated and pay an unimaginably large fine.
Re: Uninsured drivers - Ian (cape town)
I'll drink to that, Mark!
Also, add a bit of community service (cleaning up in casualty wards, sweeping the wreckage off streets after accidents etc)
Re: Uninsured drivers - Andrew Hamilton
I cannot see that someone is insured if by not having a licence it renders the insurance invalid.
Regarding taking the licence away, I remember the government was thinking of that as an alternative to court fines, if unlikely to be repaid. Not sure if this might happen.
One satisfying procedure, if the driver does not pay up, would be to make the person bankrupt as, I think the procedure is now simpler and cheaper.
dunno if youre a rock star with 50 million in the bank i really dont see why you should be forced to take out insurance... you could easily settle just about any claim out of loose change...
> dunno if youre a rock star with 50 million in the bank i really dont see why you should be forced to take out
> insurance... you could easily settle just about any claim out of loose change...

You're not forced to. You can become self-insured by paying an amount of guarantee and recieving a bond in return.

This is, for example, exactly what the likes of Avis do.

However, I guess we can assume that it is not financially worthwhile, or else more would do so.
Re: Uninsured drivers - Brian
A large proportion of fines and compensation never gets paid in any case!
Re: Uninsured drivers - Miller
Anyone who is under 21 and has to insure a car for the first time in their own name is lucky to get any change from £1k nowadays, therefore they put themselves on their parents insurance as a named driver which is risky because if the insurance company find out in the event of a claim that the son/daughter is the main user of the vehicle they will refuse to pay out.

When you think about it, if the average fine for driving without insurance is say £200 and it would cost five times that to get insurance it is logical for so many people to simply drive without it. I have only been stopped once in eight years of driving by the police and asked to produce my doc's, so there is hardly much chance of being pulled by the police as long as you drive sensibly. (I am not encouraging anybody to drive without insurance however!)

> insurance company find out in the event of a claim that the
> son/daughter is the main user of the vehicle they will refuse
> to pay out.

Actually, they may not have an choice. It depends whether or not they can show that they would have declined the risk if they had known the full facts. Typically that is not the case, and all that would have been done is a higher premium charged. Usually, therefore, the punishment at this stage of the game is simply to ask for a higher premium such as would have been charged had it been rated correctly.

Even if they are able to theoretically avoid it, they will typically be instructed by the MIB to pay as most relevant insurer.

The sting in the tail is that whilst they have to pay the claim, they can come after you for the money, potentially a huge amount, they can cancel your insurance and decline to insure you further. Declination and cancellation is something you will need to declare in the future, and is a virtual guarantee that you will not be offered insurance, and if you are it will be limited cover at an exhorbitant rate.
Re: Uninsured drivers - Dwight Van-Driver
Mark (lost in Brazil)

Your in Mike Papa Zero 7 tonight on the M.25.
You know your Insurance law. Well done.

DVD
Re: Uninsured drivers - Nick Dixon
£1,000 premiums? Yikes. It's no wonder people are driving around uninsured.

Five years ago when I started driving, I paid £500: aged 25, married, homeowner (so generally a low-risk EXCEPT I'd only just got my licence) amd that was for a 45hp Vauxhall Corsa.

In year two it halved of course, but last September I had my car written off (TP out of a side road - a tractor with a bloody great big trailer on the back).

NCD went down to 1 year, so the cheapest quote I could get was £520. Now with 2 years NCD it's still £478. That's for a 1.0 12v Corsa (Group 3).

That accident came back as non-fault, and the other driver *was* insured, but I still don't have my excess back because I didn't make an injury claim; I suppose when there's less money at stake (£200 instead of thousands), the solicitors don't pursue it quite as strongly.

Now that I recall, my insurer's legal cover team were desperate for me to make an injury claim, but I only had minor glass cuts, which don't count.

I know that "Approved Repairers" get a lot of business from authorised repairs (ie. referrals from insurance companies), so if it works the same way with legal cover, I can only assume that legal firms get far more for injury claims than for piddling little excess-only claims.

If that's the case, then all the bleating from insurers about costs rising due to personal injury claims sounds like chutzpah - they've encouraged most of the injury claims in the first place.

Getting back on-topic, here's a stupid question: if the Police have a list uninsured drivers (from insurers, or DVLA or whoever), why are there so many uninsured drivers still on the roads?

Is it down to lack of resources? Are there simply not enough plods about to enforce this?

If so then maybe the Government should be weighing up the costs (to insurers, to emegency services, NHS, and to legitimate road-users) of NOT pursuing uninsured drivers.

And if the Police DON'T have such a list, then why not?

If offenders are simply paying a paltry fine and persisting, why are we not instead taking away their vehicles or (better) putting them in prison?

I really don't see why it has to be such a problem, if the Government could only get its act (or maybe Act) together.
re your excess just demand it yourself from the other party/his insurer, if necessary issue a small claims summons, it'll be easy to get if his insurance company have already paid out to yours

re a "list of the uninsured", its not that simple

my mates car (with tax disk) on his provatye land, may not be insured for 6 moths while he works abroad (no offence here)

and if I borrow it (with permission) i would be covered under my own policies "any car not owned by you" clause...

so I could drive down the street legally a car with no record on such a system...

there are other examples...
Re: Uninsured drivers - Jonathan
But it would be uninsured as soon as you got out of it.

Jonathan
Re: Uninsured drivers - Brian
I don't think that the police-accessible list is up and running yet.

But, yes, police resources are limited and so are directed to the easy targets like minor, non-dangerous speeding instead of vehicle faults, driving without due care and attention, dangerous driving, driving under the influence of drink and drugs, no insurance, no MOT, driver disabilities such as poor eyesight; and other things which directly impact on safety.
Re: Uninsured drivers - Mazza
The list (database) MID - Motor Insurance Database run through credit information company Experian with information from all Insurance companies only 'went live' in the Summer. I expect that the police will be making a lot more use of this system once they have their systems up and running and the officers are trained in its use, I expect that will be fairly soon so uninsured drivers watch out!
>>Your in Mike Papa Zero 7 tonight on the M.25.

Thank you for the compliment. I'd appreciate a translation as well.
Re: Uninsured drivers - BrianT
Well that started a real outpouring! Maybe just maybe we should get a lobby going on this to force the government/police to act! Anybody up for it?