Smelly Peugeot Diesel 307 - diesel eric
Peugeot 307 110bhp turbo-diesel, 2 years & 13,000 miles. Following its first major service it intermittently stinks badly of diesel in the cabin, most consistently after running normally a while from cold, until it's at least half-warm, then pulling up at a junction. Fumes clear on moving off. May recur at later junctions, but less.
Garage says 'no fuel system leak' and the exhaust is OK. I suspect an unburnt fuel build up somewhere on the inlet side of the engine which then blows back. I don't think its fuming all the time and I just pick it up in the cabin when I stop.
But why?!
Any clues anyone?
Smelly Peugeot Diesel 307 - DL
So it was OK before the service?

If it has only smelt since the service, I would look for a fuel leak from the high pressure fuel filter housing.

Was the fuel filter changed at the service?
--
groups.msn.com/honestjohn - Pictures say a thousand words.....
Smelly Peugeot Diesel 307 - diesel eric
DL Thanks. Garage have checked twice & say 'no fuel system leak'. Could be they haven't looked hard enough, or it's intermittent? Would the filter leak 'into' the engine, ie. into the pressurised section beyond the turbo? I have the strong impression of blow-back as the engine comes to idle, ie. as the turbo winds down & depressurises. Eventually as the engine totally warms up the problem diminishes, which may be because the spillage/leak itself ceases, or because a greater proportion of the unburnt fuel is getting vapourised as I drive along, so I don't get to smell it.

Eric
Smelly Peugeot Diesel 307 - Civic8
Are you sure you dont mean exhaust gases entering car during warmup?. if as you say. No leaks. would point to gases entering car through bad seals in doors or boot/tailgate? wind direction dependant?..not unusual
--
Steve
Smelly Peugeot Diesel 307 - DL
This fuel smell (it is a fuel smell??) can't emanate from the inlet side of the engine - there is no fuel contained within the turbo or air inlet system - it is administered directly into the combustion chamber.

If it is a rich fresh diesel fuel smell and not exhaust fumes it has to be a low pressure leak somewhere - but where?

You've had the car long enough to know something is wrong - perhaps a different dealer? I guess it is still under warranty....
--
groups.msn.com/honestjohn - Pictures say a thousand words.....
Smelly Peugeot Diesel 307 - joh
I have a smelly Peugeot 307 too, but it's petrol. I bought the car (51 plate) a couple of months ago, from a Peugeot dealer. I have a strong fuel smell when I pull away from a junction, or come to a stop, BUT it's only when the tank is less than half full. It doesn't happen when the tank is full. The dealer has checked for leaks and there aren't any, and has just replaced the charcoal canister. The smell isn't as bad, but it's still there. So I'll be taking it back again ...

I'm not a petrolhead, so if anyone out there has any ideas, let us know!!!
Smelly Peugeot Diesel 307 - Civic8
ECU controls vapour release into inlet manifold from canister..Ie when engine temp is what ecu sees as being correct temp/revs. will then release..Though cannot see that affecting what you mention..Wonder if their is a prob with seals on doors/tailgate..Just a thought?
--
Steve