Ford key question - far0n
I have a mk3 fiesta. No leccy windows, power steering, central locking or immobiliser. Today my key decides that it's too worn to work anymore, so I use the red one instead for now. Now as the old key is more or less redundant, I thought I'd take it apart. I found a little glass tube with a little copper coil and what looked like a couple of diodes in it. The car still starts without this little contraption in the key, so what is it supposed to do ?
Ford key question - elekie&a/c doctor
The glass tube is part of the PATS anti theft immobiliser system,which the car probably had from new & has since gone faulty & been disconnected/by-passed.A basic non-chipped key will now start the car.
Ford key question - kithmo
Maybe I'm reading this wrong but did you say the key was too worn to work, then when you took it apart it worked ??. Or do you mean the red key works without the PATS transmitter that was in the old key. Doesn't the red key have its own PATS transmitter built in ?.
The old key still works(ish), but I have all sorts of bother getting the steering lock off. My red key manages this fine. Both keys have one of those little insert things. Just thought I'd see if I could still start the engine without the insert being in place and... I can.
Ford key question - Carse
Are both your keys on the same key ring? If so it is the red key that is allowing your car to start. Take the red key away completely and the worn key will not start the car.

The transmitter in the key which you removed does not have to be in the key it just needs to be close to the ignition barrel where the transceiver lives.

Carse
He's blooming right you know ! Left one key in the house and tried to start it with the other minus the insert... and what do you know... it doesn't start ! Didn't think that an old 95 fiesta came with an imobiliser ? Cheers lads.
Ford key question - Dynamic Dave
Didn't think that an old 95 fiesta came with an
imobiliser ? Cheers lads.

I vaguely recall reading somewhere that after 1992'ish?? all cars had to have an immobiliser fitted by the manufacturer.
Ford key question - jc
Ford immobiliziers go back to the late 80's.
Ford key question - pastyman
Hi chaps,
I beleive that Ford stopped supplying a red master key approx 1996, instead supplying 2 black keys, both chipped. Both of these keys being needed to program another spare. Obviously its worth getting a third key cut for everyday use and keeping the other two safe.

Pastyman...