VW noisy fuel injector - Boraman
My VW Bora will idle quietly for a moment or two before this loud "tappety" noise starts up from the engine compartment. Its loudness never fails to draw comment from passengers. The noise is coming from what I think is the fuel injector on the front top left of the engine. You can feel the tapping when you put a hand on it. I have heard that VW engineers say that this drumming noise is a "characteristic" of the engine and there's nothing that can be done about it! Any thoughts/suggestions? Are all Boras like that?

Bob.
VW noisy fuel injector - David G.I.Davies
Its possible for fuel injector noise (which is normal) to be amplified if the fuel pipes are fixed to the body sheet metal without proper flexible clamps or too tightly.I'd inspect to see whether repositioning the fuel pipes has any effect on the noise transmitted into the cabin area.
VW noisy fuel injector - v8man
I would be very surprised if you could hear a fuel injector. It is more likely a sticking hydraulic tappet. A faulty injector doesn't drum. They tend to work or not work in my experience. A faulty hydraulic tappet can be diagnosed by a compression test and if not rectified will eventually result in a burnt out valve.
VW noisy fuel injector - elekie&a/c doctor
Does this injector sit on top of a plastic canistor by drivers front wing ,behind headlight?
Yes, it's a black plastic cube shape with two thick black dics on top that are connected to various pipes and wires.
VW noisy fuel injector - elekie&a/c doctor
This is not a fuel injector at all;this is the purge control valve which sits on top of charcoal canister.(all connected with evaporative fuel emission system)It will operate during conditions assessed by engine control ECU.
Yes, you're right. I presented the car to a VW main dealer today and, after the usual "it's a characteristic of Boras and Golfs" routine, agreed to replace a component after listening to a couple of other similar cars that weren't nearly so loud. The job took about 15 minutes under Warranty and the mechanic said he had replaced the "A.C.F.solenoid valve" - or something to that effect. It's certainly made a big difference and is now at a reasonably acceptable level of intrusion into the car. The part replaced is a black plastic disk, inch-and-a-half diameter and three-quarter-inch deep, with a pipe and cable connected to it. It has "Sagem" and "Made in Brazil" stamped on top. It's attached to a black plastic canister which he said contained charcoal. Interestingly enough, another VW man said that they get lots of complaints from VW Golf and Bora owners about the same noise (I suspect many are happy to accept the "characteristic" nonsense.). They've started sending QCR's (Quality Control Reports) to Volkswagen in the hope that if enough people highlight the problem, VW will look at redesigning the valve and perhaps have a Recall.

Many thanks for your, and others, interest and much-appreciated advice.