Could it be a wheel bearing prob? Clio. - cdb
Hi,

1994 Clio 1.4 RT, 60,000 miles

When the car is moving there is a droning sound coming from the front somewhere, stops when the car stops, more pronounced the faster you go.

When I move the steering wheel to the right very slightly it stops. To the left and it continues droning.

Could it be a wheel bearing and if so, how do I tell which one it is? Can I tell anything by jacking the car up?

Thank you!
Could it be a wheel bearing prob? Clio. - lizard
almost certainly a wheel bearing,with the vehicle on a jack spin each wheel by hand this should reveal which bearing is the noisy one,you will hear a rumble from the defective bearing.
Could it be a wheel bearing prob? Clio. - RichardW
Defo sounds like a wheel bearing problem. Usually the bearing goes quiet when it is unloaded (eg LH bearing on LH bends).

Of course when one went in my Xantia it was the other way and shut up when it was loaded (RH bearing, was quieter on LH bends....)!

That's Citroen for you!
--
RichardW

Is it illogical? It must be Citroen....
Could it be a wheel bearing prob? Clio. - Andrew-T
As it's a Renault, it is almost certainly a wheel bearing. You've done quite well at 60K miles ..
Could it be a wheel bearing prob? Clio. - Big Cat
I'd would be surprised if a bearing has gone at 60K. Unless the car's done a lot of hard cornering.
Could it be a wheel bearing prob? Clio. - Mondaywoe
Clio wheelbearings are notorious! My Mum's (diesel) Clio had a new one fitted a few months ago. It's a pig of a job too! I got a local indy to do it and he had such a job getting the driveshaft off that he damaged the splines and had to get a replacement shaft from a breakers!

Graeme
Could it be a wheel bearing prob? Clio. - malk
Having just had a sledehammer/grinder festival replaced a wheel bearing on a 14yr old vw passat, i would seriously consider replacing the whole hub assembly from a scappie if i had to do it again (i do have to to it again on the other side, but i've already bought the bearing).. and i'm getting into grinding