Running on empty - Miller
Is it just me or am I not the only one who tries to squeeze the last drop of petrol out of the tank before refilling? You know the warning light has been on the last 20 miles but you drive past the next petrol station as you know there is another a few miles further on...

I know it is a silly and possibly hazardous thing to do but it seems to be a habit harking back to my younger years when cash was tight that I cannot get out of!

Saying that I have only run out once many years ago, perhaps I need to run out in the middle of nowhere and suffer the subsequent hassle to give me the kick up the backside I need.

Anyone else out there like this?
Running on empty - Dynamic Dave
Nope.

I rarely let the gauge go lower than ¼ full, eighth at the lowest. Only had the low fuel warning light come on twice on my current car. The first time was to test that the bulb actually worked (as it doesn\'t come on with the ignition check lights) and the second time to attempt to reset the fuel computer as the display said that I only had 5 miles range left whereas I still had over a ¼ tank of fuel left.
Running on empty - Robin Reliant
My last driving tuition car was a VW Lupo with only a 34ltr tank. The miles I drove meant two fill up's a week, so to go as long as possible between petrol station visits I used to brim the tank on filling and leave it as long as I dared with the warning light before I refilled. I knew I could get one whole lesson in with the light on, and once stretched it to two and a half, God knows what it was running on at the end and I must admit was getting a bit panicky.

I HATE the process of re-fuelling, it seems to take forever and petrol stations must be the most uninviting (and expensive) places on earth

Running on empty - googolplex
I never fill up till the light comes on (unless it is the start of a long journey).
What's the point of the fuel capacity if you don't use it.
Splodgeface
Running on empty - Imagos
On my Mondeo I use the gauge in conjuction with the trip computer 'range to empty.' It counts down to zero miles to go and the gauge is way past the empty line. Then I know i've got at least 10 miles to go because that' how far i've pushed it. Plus has made no difference to running of my car. As I only do low mileage journeys I do this frequently.
Running on empty - eurocourier
>I HATE the process of re-fuelling, it seems to take forever and petrol stations must be the most uninviting (and expensive) places on earth

Agreed: try doing it twice a day five days a week...
Running on empty - Civic8
I never let tank go below 1/4. Due to breakdowns I attended caused by dirt in fuel system. Just because owner could not be bothered to ensure there was enough fuel to cover the journey..Fraid it gets my back up. I see no excuse for it
--
Was mech1
Running on empty - Roberson
Well my dad and sister both do what you do. I would say that 9 times out of 10, when they re-fuel, the warning light is on.

Me however, when the needle reaches the last white mark on the dial (2 gallon), I plan a fuel stop. As my car doesn't have a light to tell you when its nearly empty you have to rely upon its accuracy a little. My sister, the former owner, could get a many few miles out of what read as a completly emplty tank (needle in the red, resting against the pin!)
Running on empty - patently
I tend to fill up when the needle has just dropped below 1/4.

That way, I can choose a petrol station rather than just take whichever is within range. I can stop when it's convenient rather than be forced to pull in when I'm in a hurry. And I have a reasonable range to hand in case my plans change.
Running on empty - Bromptonaut
Wait for the light to come on, then nearest supermarket. Only last week they'd sold out of diesel. Next morning Total on the A5 closed for refurbishment plus I'm on the last minute for a train. End up using BP Bradwell Abbey CMK, probably the most expensive diesel off of the Outer Hebrides!!.

Passed several sub 80p sites well below a quarter tank.
Running on empty - teabelly
I tend to fill up weekly, usually the same place and put less in if I haven't used as much as normal. I rarely let the gauge drop below 1/4. I usually put about 15-20 litres in a week. I suppose if I bothered to brim the tank to the full 72 litres then I might be able to go a month without stopping at a petrol station!
teabelly
Running on empty - owie
I must caution people like Miller about the dangers of running too low on fuel.Many moons ago I had to empty and clean out the fuel system on a Lancia coupe. It never ran properly again.
Another problem is when one is travelling away from familiar surroundings and running low with no idea where the nearest petrol station is,or how far away.Sometimes (during the Xmas. holiday period for instance,a lot of garages close after midday.
IMHO the safest routine to follow is not to go below 1/4 full on normal occasions and not less than 1/2 when driving in remote country areas which you are not familiar with. With the closure of a large number of contry garages my nearest petrol station is five miles away!

>>All the way up to six if I have to,and maybe faster than you<<
Running on empty - BobbyG
Yep, I always wait for the light to come on, and then a wee bit more as well!
The Saxo can do well over 600 miles to a tank (45 litres) and I take a sad pride in seeing how close to 700 I can get it!
The Scenics computer runs out of miles with about 6 litres still left, good for another 50 miles or so.
.Many moons ago I had to empty and
clean out the fuel system on a Lancia coupe. >It never
ran properly again.

>>

The idea that a car doesn't run properly on very low fuel is a load of old cobblers IMO, I do it all the time either through no fault of my own at work or in my own cars and i've never had ANY problems.

A Lancia coupe that never ran properly again? It probably never ran properly in the first place.
Running on empty - BobbyG
I am sure this has been covered before but, whilst on this topic, where exactly is the feed from fuel tanks to engine? If it is at the bottom, then surely it doesn't matter how low you run it as any particles will be at bottom and will get sucked into pipe even when tank is full?
If it is just above the bottom then surely the fuel will run put before the particles can get sooked up into the engine?
Unless is it the case that the particles float?
I'm sure this is why fuel filters were invented!!
Running low drags up the rubbish/fuel filter blocked. miles away from getting a replacement.hence probs/need I say more?
--
Steve
Running on empty - No Do$h
A Lancia coupe that never ran properly again? It probably never
ran properly in the first place.

Not fair Mr Imagos. If a car has never run below 1/4 full then all kinds of smeg will be in the bottom of the tank. If you routinely let it run past empty from new then the cack never gets a chance to build up.

Following a challenge from another JTD Alfaowner I have been running for 75 miles with the warning light on and still had a nominal 3-4 litres in the tank. Previously I've not gone past 50 miles.
Not fair Mr Imagos.

Maybe i'm wrong but i think this 'if you run low on fuel you suck up all the rubbish in the tank' really is a myth.

For one how exactly does leaves or sand get into the fuel tank? I'm sure most petrol pumps must have some sort of filter.

If these impurities were in the fuel or the tank had some sort of sediment, the movement of the car during normal driving would mix it all together and it wouldn't matter whether you had no fuel or a full tank.
The idea that a car doesn't run properly on very low fuel is
a load of old cobblers IMO

Not in my experience.

Your car probably has a good clean fuel system, imagos. An old MkI Astra that I bought off my brother-in-law (never, never again..) didn't. It was never happy; often losing power, eventually cutting out momentarily. No-one could work out why. It gradually got worse; eventually it would cut out at the worst possible moments and refuse to restart for a few minutes.

It was sheer good luck that I mentioned this to a mechanic who was working on it and immedately he cleaned the carburetter (someone spell that for me, please!) which was full of muck. His advice was to avoid letting the car run low on fuel; given its mileage and history the tank probably had more muck sloshing around at the bottom. And when the fuel ran low, it went into the carburettor and stuck in the jets; no fuel flow, no power.
Running on empty - madf
I worked for an MD who had a Ford Scorpio 1989 vintage. He ran out of fuel on motorway. We refilled from a can bought from a filling station. Next week the car had to be garaged as despite fuel filters the injectors were blocked with fine silt - presumably from the bottom of the tank and dredged up with the last fuel drops.

Note: fuel injection, filter and yes it was regularly serviced (a company car 2 years old some 75,000 miles or so).

I run to 1/4 and then refill. Too many journeys to Scotland at Bank Holdiays to risk running out of fuel late at night with no petrol stations open between Perth and Dundee or Dundee and Aberdeen.

With fuel injected diesels to run out of fuel means to have to purge the system of air: a sometimes complex job I would NOT want to do...

madf

Some diesels have automatic priming ;o)

Alfa, anyone?
Running on empty - Clanger
And when
the fuel ran low, it went into the carburettor and stuck
in the jets; no fuel flow, no power.

I'm sure we've discussed this on another thread. The fuel pickup is the same height from the bottom of the tank at all times. How come it suddenly starts picking up crud when the fuel runs low?
Doesn't make sense to me.

As for filling up, I use Texaco loyalty points so I fill up at the local Texaco place whenever possible, or if I'm out of the area, another Texaco station if the fuel gauge is below a quarter full.
Hawkeye
-----------------------------
Stranger in a strange land
is the same height from the bottom of the tank at
all times. How come it suddenly starts picking up crud when
the fuel runs low?
Doesn't make sense to me.

My thoughts exactly, This has to be near the top of top 10 motoring myths.
Hmm.. the posts which have had low fuel running problems seem to be carburettor fitted cars. This can't be a coincedence?
Running on empty - PhilW
Assuming there is crud in the bottom of the tank, where has it come from? The fuel? Surely not - don't the companies supply a "pure" fuel or at least fuel that doesn't have crud in it? The tank, maybe rust when tanks were made of steel, but aren't most made of plastic now which surely shouldn't react to form crud should they? Or am I showing my ignorance of fuel and tank technology? Is there really much "crud" in the bottom of a tank?
Running on empty - teabelly
Only one way to find out really. Get a tank out of a modern car and swill it out to see what in the way of crud appears :-)
teabelly
Running on empty - PhilW
Actually, about tens years ago I did, for parts, scrap an old BX RD given to me by a french bloke( the front subframe crumbled to pieces as I removed it) It had about half a tank of diesel which I emptied into a container, it looked OK with no crud that I could see, so I put it in my BX TGD and it ran perfectly. The tank was plastic.
Running on empty - henry k
Not in my experience.

>>
It was never happy; often losing power,No-one could work out why.
It gradually got worse; eventually it would cut out at the
worst possible moments and refuse to restart for a few minutes.

>>And when the fuel ran low, it went into the carburettor and stuck
in the jets; no fuel flow, no power.

>>
I had a similar experience but due to water from a filling station tank getting into my tank. The fine rust from my rotting tank got through to the carb and even blocked the fuel line. A difficult clean of the fuel line and a new tank was required.
This may be an extreme example but a fuel filter, even if it is routinely replaced, will not collect crud for ever and will not stop a fuel line getting blocked so why risk running on a low tank.
Running on empty - Kingpin
Whenever you pass a Supermarket or other outlet with a bargain price then fill up, regardless of how much is left in your tank even in it's still half full. This way you save the most money in the long term and get the maximum fuel for your expenditure. Leaving the tank to go empty forces you into the hands of petrol retailers who know you have to stop and fill up regardless of cost eventually (an extreme example being the motorway services who have a captive market). The fuel will not be wasted as you still drive the same distance and consume it as normal, howeve by doing this your can take advantage of the most competetive price when you see it, therefore exercising choice.
With a 70+ mile reserve I can take my pick of diesel retailers. Running with 80kg less in the car saves fuel as well (full vs. empty tank)
Actually, running near to empty makes the car faster and more economical than keeping the tank full or nearly full. 55 litres of fuel add quite a bit of weight to the car, and that takes more power to push and increases fuel consumption. Which is why racing cars sometimes run out of fuel before the finish, even with massively powereful F1 engines they don't carry even half a litre more than they have to,
Sorry ND, duplicated the point you made. Moral: Read before posting!
Running on empty - THe Growler
At this point I'm tempted to paraphrase the saying that an optimist is one with a quarter-full tank, while a pessimist is one with a three-quarters empty one.......
Running on empty - Cliff Pope
Actually I have just carried out the experiment someone advocated, for different reasons, on two separate cars.

1) Triumph 2000, carburettor. The pipe runs straight out of the bottom of the tank, to a filter on the fuel pump. No crud in this 40-year old tank. If there had been, it would have gone straight down the pipe regardless of the fuel level.

2) Volvo 240, injection. Pipe dips into the tank from the top. It doesn't quite reach the bottom of the tank, and has a filter sock on the end. No crud visible. If there had been, it couldn't have reached the pipe anyway.

Conclusion - the whole thing is a myth.
Explanation of apparent occurences - air locks, low fuel level shows up ailing petrol pump, habitual low fuel level encourages condensation = water droplets in carburettor.
1) Triumph 2000, carburettor. The pipe runs straight out of the
bottom of the tank, to a filter on the fuel pump.
No crud in this 40-year old tank. If there had been,
it would have gone straight down the pipe regardless of the
fuel level.

I'm not an engineer and have in the past mentioned that my mechanical suggestions and suspicions are usually no more that. However, I can see how a fuel pipe at the bottom of the tank could be protected from detritus except when the level is low.

We have assumed that the flow into the pipe is smooth and uniform at all times. This assumption may hide a lot. The crud will, by its nature, be heavier and less prone to shift. When the tank is full, fuel could well flow out but leave the crud undisturbed at the base. Fuel will flow from the bulk liquid, and the flow velocity at the edges will be low.

When the fuel level is very low, it will then need to flow "through" the crud; hence the local flow velocity in that area, the base of the tank, will increase. Hence more crud in the fuel line.

Now, I'm assuming that there is crud in the tank, and this is of itself a potential problem. We have counterexamples, in the form of clean tanks. However, 6 white swans in a row does not prove that all swans are white. Likewise, some tanks could have been allowed to become less than pristine. How? No idea, but I'd like to know so that I can avoid it.

All I know is that after a life of supermarket petrol and the tender loving care of my brother-in-law, that car started being an utter nightmare after the tank was allowed to run low....
Running on empty - Alfafan {P}
Surely the act of putting fuel in the tank is going to stir up the mythical crud that's lying in the bottom of the tank? If that's so, then shouldn't we let the car stand for 10 minutes to let it all settle before driving off?

Load of old cobblers.
Would depend on the flow rate from the pump, the flow pattern when it arrived, where it came into the tank, where the mythical evil stuff prefers to hide etc etc
Running on empty - PhilW
Sorry to repaet myself! But if there is crud, what kind of crud is it and where does it come from?
Running on empty - kennybase
Seeing as no one else wants to say it - it's car pixies dust. We've proved it can't be from the plastic tanks or the fuel, so it's the only explanation.
Running on empty - Roger Jones
The handbooks tell me that my Golf has a 7 litre reserve, the MB 9 litres and the Capri 10 litres. These seem adequate quantities to me in terms of delivering fuel without dragging up bottom-of-the-tank nasties, which is presumably why the fuel gauge is set as it is. I normally fill up when the needle reaches the empty mark and before it enters the reserve zone; if I'm some distance from a filling station, I know how far I can travel.
Running on empty - Truckosaurus
I rely on my 'distance to empty' reading rather than the fuel guage and light. I fill up when the value drops below the range needed to reach my destination (I have yet to travel anywhere >450 miles from my starting point). So, in the week I fill up around the 30 miles-to-go point or near the start of a longer journey at a known cheap filling station.
Running on empty - BazzaBear {P}
I have to put super in my car, so if I'm away from home I do start to get a bit nervous as the needle passes 1/4, since not all garages sell it. I have actually bought a can of octane booster so that, in emergencies I can use normal unleaded, but I'd prefer not to use it, since it cots £11, and a half fill of the tank would require the whole lot. Now THAT is an expensive fill-up!
Around my local area though, I wait until the light comes on, then go to my local Shell garage the next time I'm passing it.

Oh, when I was driving around SW USA I basically filled up the moment I passed a station, if I was anywhere around or below the half-way point. I had no idea when I was going to see a station, and didn't fancy breaking down in the middle of Death Valley :D
Running on empty - daveyjp
I wait until the fuel warning 'bongs' at me, I then have about 8 lites left - very loud, always unexpected so frightens the wife. It annoys you as it bongs every time you start up and the warning sumbol takes up the screen showing other info. I then put in a fixed number of litres - usually 15 as this lasts about a week - then see how many miles I get until it bongs again - it's a good way of keeping track of mpg.
Running on empty - Cliff Pope
Surely the act of putting fuel in the tank is going to stir up the mythical crud that's lying in the bottom of the tank? If that's so, then shouldn't we let the car stand for 10 minutes to let it all settle before driving off?

Load of old cobblers.

I agree. Not to mention the movement caused by cornering and braking.
I pour in a small bottle of additive each time I fill the Triumph with unleaded fuel. This mixes very effectively using what is technically called the "sloshing around effect". How does the alleged crud avoid being sloshed around, but sit obediently waiting for the one time in 10 years when I inadvertantly run the tank empty?
Running on empty - holly1
Must just be me who is sad, but I never let mine fall below 1/2 a tank. Maybe this is because my Dad always runs his on empty and has so many times found the local garage either closed or out of unleaded.

I have taken a petrol tank out of a car in the past and there was a lining of crud in the bottom of it and the fuel pipe was actually blocked with similar. The car didnt have a fuel filter fitted but I would imagine that if it had that too would have been blocked with gunge.

Running on empty - Adam {P}
I haven't thought about this too much. I wouldn't be able to tell you how may miles to the gallon I get in my car - or anything like that.

I put petrol in in a strange way (according to everyone that knows me). I never put more than £20 in at a time. When the light comes on, or if it is going to come on imminently, I whack £20 in the tank. It's never been filled, and never been topped up with more than 1/4 in. I suppose filling the car makes it a lot heavier so would waste fuel but this isn't the reason for my filling habits - my Mum and Dad do the same.

Another spanner in the works - I've read this thread and some people never let it go under halfway. What are the implications of mixing say, BP petrol and Sainsbury's finest? Or is there no problem at all.
--
Adam
Before anyone get's in with the joke, I don't literally stuff a £20 note into the filler neck.
--
Adam
Before anyone get's in with the joke, I don't literally stuff
a £20 note into the filler neck.

Might be cheaper. Anyone know the calorific value of a £20 note vs the teaspoon of petrol that £20 buys?
No idea but a bottle of Jack Daniels works a treat - 6 months ago that would have been a waste but now - it's cheaper!

;-)
--
Adam
Running on empty - THe Growler
>>>>>>>No idea but a bottle of Jack Daniels works a treat - 6 months ago that would have been a waste but now - it's cheaper!

Eh what? I pay just under 10 quid for a liter bottle of sippin' whisky, and 24.5p for a liter of gas.

Damn car gets filled to the top every Friday come what may.....
Running on empty - somebody
owie, you're right about running low on gas in unfamiliar surroundings. On Maui my wife and I rented a Ford Escape V6. Set off for Hana with probably a bit under 1/3rd of a tank left expecting to fill up on the way there. After all, it's the USA, right! Long story short, we didn't pass a single gas station. The last 15 miles, the light was on the whole way and trust me that V6 was thirsty. Hana turned out to be incredibly rural. One solitary gas station open _every other day_ with I think just a single pump. Fortunately, we happened to be there on an 'open' day, although the gas as you can imagine was at something of a premium.

Running on empty - Mark (RLBS)
I cannot remember the last time I put fuel in a car which didn't have its fuel warning light on - certainly many years ago.

And I've never found out how far they will go. or at least, not quite.

The Omega would do 50 miles after the light came on - whether it would do 51 or 151 I couldn't say.
Running on empty - Duchess
I always fill up at when the gauge drops to 1/4 full but if I'm going on a long motorway run, I fill it up before I start to ensure I can avoid the extortionate prices at the services. My nearest petrol station is eight miles away and the first convenient one on the work run about eighteen and if I wanted to walk, I wouldn't own a car.....

Unlike my ex, who must have had a pathological fear of petrol stations. Every so often, he would unexpectedly leap into my car and drive off muttering that he thought his "might need filling up" and could I do it for him. What this actually translated as was "the light's been on for days, the station's eight miles away and there's enough vapour in the tank to drive four".

Running on empty - Dynamic Dave
In my previous Vectra I got to the stage of the light coming on and the fuel computer saying I had approx 50 miles worth of fuel left in the tank. A bit later, the fuel computer automatically flashed up that I had 30 miles remaining - I cancelled the message. A few miles later the light started flashing to attract my attention, rather than just remaining on. I checked the computer and it said I had approx 15 miles left. Still no sign of a garage anywhere that was still open (well it was 3am after all said and done) A few miles later I saw a garage in the distance that still had all the forcourt lights on. As I approached it, the car started coughing and spluttering. I dipped the clutch and coasted onto the forcourt (horray!! it was still open). The fuel comp said I had one mile left in the tank.

Comparing the fuel comp on my previous Vectra to the one I've got now, the old was very accurate, but the current one says I've only got 30 miles left in the tank when I've still got aprox ¼ tank of fuel left. Basically I don't trust the fuel computer anymore.
Running on empty - Schnitzel
I can't believe there are people who believe low fuel means dirty fuel.
Have you ever looked at a fuel pickup in a tank?
Now you will see that it has a screen and as near to the bottom of the tank as possible without it causing a problem. Sometimes they are even in a well.
So if there is dirt in the bottom of the tank, does it matter how much fuel is above it? The fuel is not picked up by a float on the top is it? You will also see the pickup has an incoporated strainer, and which is continually washed by fuel, so no particles should sticj to it, and you will also see that most cars have a fuel filtere thereafter, so I find the notion that going below 1/4 of a tank causing dirt completely proposterous.
Only prob.. I see with what you said. Is that particles of dirt can be drawn into fuel pipe which are smaller than the filter holes. these build up. sticking to surface of either pipe/filter/injector. which will eventualy cause a blockage. point is just because you dont see it. Wont mean it isnt there
--
Steve
Running on empty - Doc
I'm the complete opposite.

Ever since getting caught out in the 'fuel crisis' I get worried if the gauge goes below 1/2 !

Before, I used to run it to almost empty.

Running on empty - arky
Low fuel in an old fashioned steel tank means more rust forms internally and this is the fine "silt" often reffered to. In more modern vehicles with plastic tanks this is not a problem, the pickup/pump is always situated in the lowest level of the tank. Inspecting a 130k/10yr Golf III tank regularly filled on cheapest supermarket fuel (the fuel pump failed) I was amazed to see how clean the tank was. In any case the screens and filters are there to stop any dirt getting through.

Yet another myth....
Running on empty - blinky
My fuel gauge is far too erratic on my corsa to let it run near empty. It can easily vary by 10 litres.
Running on empty - Hull4000
Easy 700 miles on a tank in the Audi A4 and I only do 500+ miles a week so little chance of running on empty unless I don't fill up with the weekly shopping.
Running on empty - Phil P
I owned a '96 Fiesta and a '99 Focus, both of which would happily keep running when the fuel gauge was below the empty notch.

On the Focus the fuel computer seemed pretty reliable (once got it down to 4m remaining) and never ran out of fuel. Then I bought a 2001 BMW 520i. When the needle hits zero, it means ZERO, as I found out one day starting it from cold, going straight past the petrol station at the end of my road and trying to drive up a dual-carriageway which starts out flat but then goes uphill. It spluttered and rolled to a halt *just* making it over the tram line which crosses the road at the top of the hill! Oh and the fuel computer helpfully told me I had 20 miles worth remaining..

Have yet to discover how accurate the computer is on my recently purchased 2001 Citroen C5.
Running on empty - philipb
As a natural optimist I definitely see my tank as 1/20th full rather than 19/20th empty.

However, having seen the crud in the tank myth exploded above, please could anyone tell me more about another urban myth. Namely that if your car runs out of petrol, your catalytic converter will suddenly disintegrate leaving you with a nasty shock when the emissions are check at the next MOT!

Given that even diesels seem to have the dreaded cat these days, how dangerous is running out of fuel for your moggie?
Running on empty - Schnitzel
IMHO, diesel cats, are a small, simple oxidising catalyst, probably added for marketting effect or something, they're more robust than the 3-way ones on gasoline systems.

I don't see how running out of fuel could effect it, as the engine stops.
Some of the cheaper catalysts don't like unburned fuel entering them when hot (they don't mind when cold) but I don't see running out, filling up and restarting likely to cause this. But maybe someone else knows better?
Running on empty - Kevin
I usually fill up whenever it's convenient. If the needle is on half and I'm calling for a coffee/sandwich whatever, I'll fill the tank at the same time. Otherwise I'll leave it until it's around the quarter mark. During winter months I prefer to keep it at least half full.

The fuel gauge and computer in my Jag are both pretty accurate and linear. The gauge in the Chevy (no computer) is woefully inaccurate. From a full tank it will do 200 miles before it hits the half-full mark. Another 50 miles and it's indicating empty.

Kevin...