Oil loss - David Moore
I have a 1987 Polo 1.3. Once the engine is hot, smoke comes from under the bonnet and only stops once it has been idling and the colling fan starts. It is also leaking a little oil.

The car has done 135000 miles plus, and on start up from cold the only fumes from the exhaust are white - like steam - and even then only if the eninge is revved hard.

The car until just very recently has used hardly any oil, and to prove a point i have added half a litre in 5000 miles. I changed the oil and replaced it with fully synthetic, to which i added a little mineral oil as it seemed to leak the synthetic.

Anyway, i've given as much info as possible - can anyone explain the sudden increase in leakage, and the smoke from the bonnet? The car is still driving really well. A hard 200 mile drive the other day didn't cause any more oil loss than in daily driving. All I can think of is that it seems to be since i had the plugs and leads replaced a week or so ago. Is this just a coincedence???

HELP!
Re: Oil loss - peter
You do not say which model, but....These are well known for oil breather crankcase ventilation problems which could be the cause of oil loss due to build up of crankase pressure and forcing oil out of all the wrong places. As an easy first check see if the pipe from the breather into the air filter is not kinked or blocked. Removing the filter is not for the faint hearted.

I think this has been covered extensively on this site before, try a search. The identical problem on smaller engined Golfs exists.

if there are no other answers I will post an alternative website address.
Re: Oil loss - peter
Go to Heavy Breathing VW on 23/9/01 and you will get chapter and verse.
Re: Oil loss - mike harvey
David, a very small drop of oil from the cam cover gasket, or leaking from the air filter housing will find its way onto the exhaust manifold and smoke. Check breathers too as Peter suggests. I wonder if the synthetic oil is a good half of your problem. Older engines do not take to it well. Try something a bit thicker like a 20w50.
Regards and good luck
Mike
Don't use synthetic oil in a leggy motor - David Lacey
The synthetic oil has probably washed away any residues/varnishes from oil seals/piston rings etc by now causing oil leaks & consumption so the engine will probably never be the same again.
Once a sieve always a sieve as they say.

Sorry to paint such a black picture.

David
Re: Don't use synthetic oil in a leggy motor - David Moore
Thanks for the black picture. The oil was changed about 4000 ago. I noticed the synthetic leaking straight away and added a little crappy oil. Since then it has not used a drop, until just the last week or so!!!

Incidentally the car really is driving well. It did 90-100 for an hour coming back from nottingham and despite the leakage problems no loss was noticeable on the dipstick.

Im bein told by some people to use semi synthetic ie 10-40, which is a compromise between protection and a bit of thickness to prevent leakage.

Is this fair?
Semi Synthetic Oil - David Lacey
David,

Yes, this will be just fine. A good compromise.

David