Astra Isuzu Cold Start Problems - SkintSteve
My 93 Astra diesel ( Isuzu engine ) starts fine in the summer but is a nightmare in the winter. The engine spins well but often flattens the battery first. The glow plugs and associated electrics are all good and it had a new heavy battery last winter. Now its getting cold the problems will start again. It has a Bosch injector pump. Can I adjust the cold start on this pump? Or does anyone have any other ideas what the problem could be?
Astra Isuzu Cold Start Problems - Number_Cruncher
Hi Steve,

Two things to check first, before considering anything too technical;

1) The injectors on these engines have to be aligned correctly. A pip on the cylinder head should align with a dimple in the injector.

2) Check the compressions

How did you check that the glow plugs are ok?

number_cruncher
Astra Isuzu Cold Start Problems - Sprice
Also, its important to make sure valve clearances are correct on these, this can affect starting performance. Another thing that is common on these, is the fan belt slackens easily, which obviously affects charging (keep an eye on rev counter, if it doesnt move, and just hovers around 1000 rpm mark, the belt is slack. A lot think this is an alternator prob, but its just a slack belt)
Thanks for the help. Replaced alternator and belt recently ( alternator naff )but that was not the problem. Injectors are ligned ok. Glow plugs are 11v type. Removed them, visual check ok, fed 12v they glowed nicely. Checked electrical feed ( volts and amps) at the glow plug bus bar. Also timed feed to glow plugs. Have not been able to check compression yet ( need new tester).Don't know about the valve clearances but they are quite.
Should say that the car usualy starts and runs well with very little smoke. Problem just seems to be with winter starting. Once started runs well
Astra Isuzu Cold Start Problems - googolplex
Had exactly the same fault on the same engine in the Cavalier - it was the tappets, apparently and, once adjusted, never another problem.
Splodgeface
Astra Isuzu Cold Start Problems - spikeyhead {p}
Had exactly the same fault on the same engine in the
Cavalier - it was the tappets, apparently and, once adjusted, never
another problem.
Splodgeface

*nods*

All Isuzu diesels do this. Had ,ime adjusted at teh start of last winter and it started on the button once it had been done, instead of needing to be cranked forever.

Do a forum search and you'll find several threads on this.
--
I read often, only post occasionally
Many thanks for your help. I have to work outside so as soon as it stops raining I will check the valve clearances. How can Vauxhall justify £6-12 per shim? Will let you know if it cures the problem
Checked valve clearances. Way out.
Exhaust gap ranges from 0.15 mm to 0.2 mm
In let has NO gap on any valve !!
Can anyone confirm gap should be In 0.15 and Ex 0.25?
Astra Isuzu Cold Start Problems - Aprilia
Yes, 0.15mm inlet; 0.25mm exhaust with a cold engine.
Have done the valve clearances and the car now starts well.
MANY THANKS !!!!