VW Polo...hints on whats going to break? - PoloGirl
Wasn't sure whether to put this in discussion or technical but thought I'd pop in here for a bit, even though it will show up exactly how untechnical I am!

Polo is 8 years old this month, and has done almost 78,000 miles, more than half of them in the three years he's been with me. I have him serviced every 10,000 miles as per the book thing, but apart from that the only things I've done or had done are:

New brake disks, shoes (??) and pads Dec 2003.
Cam belt changed at 60,000 miles.
Front suspension bits replaced last year (something to do with arms and bushes? Crashed a week later so suspect it made little difference!)
New exhaust in January this year.
More new brake pads in August of this year, fitted by me under close supervision and yes they do work!

I always planned for Polo to get me through uni and then be replaced, but it looks like my heart is going to win over my head in the job search and I'm going to take a job I will love but doesn't pay well enough to change my car for about another year. I can't lie and tell you that I don't drive my car hard - I like to be first away from traffic lights, and he just seems happier at 80mph on the motorway than 70 - honestly! I've calmed down a lot recently but wonder if I've left it too late.

So..as Polo's life has been relatively free of mechanical trouble to date, and these things come along just when you don't need them, place your bets on what's going to break first! My money's on the clutch/gearbox, but PassatDriver thinks I will blow the head gasket first. Also, we disagree on whether I should be using unleaded optimax/ultimate (he says it's for newer cars?) or just the normal unleaded.

What tell tale signs should I be looking for, or can I just keep wearing my "I drive a VW, what could possibly go wrong" blinkers?

Thanks!

VW Polo...hints on whats going to break? - Ben {P}
Is this the Polo that got mangled in an accident and was then bodged back together?
VW Polo...hints on whats going to break? - Adam {P}
Awwww - PG goes at 80mph PG goes at 80....

On a more serious note, someone will know the inherent problems with these but to put your mind at rest, my mate has a 1.3 Fox (the Polo not the animal) and whilst on an M plate, I think it's the same mark as yours.

It's done 101,000, about 30 of those with him and it is the best nick car of that age I have seen in my life. There is nothing mechanically wrong with it apart from brake pads which are easily solved. It doesn't rattle, it's quick, and like yours will happily sit at 80...well...90.

He's rather liberal with the accelerator and is always the first away from the lights but given the age I'm impressed. The nick it's in, it would pass for a W plate (if they hadn't facelifted it). It's built like a Tiger Tank.

That being said, someone will be along saying at 81,938 miles, the left wing mirror will fall off...etc...

Cracking cars though

Happy Motoring PG
--
Adam
Of course I meant 30 thousand miles and not 30 miles! Doh!
--
Adam
VW Polo...hints on whats going to break? - Crinkly Dave
You can expect no more and no less than any machine of this age.
Usual wearing things like disks, brake pads and shoes, tyres.
Possibility of blocked oil mist breather.
Have you looked at the car-by-car breakdown
The sad truth is that the vehicle is getting to the point where large bills may exceed its value.
If you have an independent garage you trust you will have to make a judgement when to give in. If you rely on main dealers, you will have major expense changing the air filter.
Awwww - PG goes at 80mph PG goes at 80....

I was trying to give the impression of being sensible, Adski...and I wouldda got away with it if it hadn't been for you pesky kid! ;)

VW Polo...hints on whats going to break? - Roberson
Hi,

If the car is 8, then it will the shape that came after the 1991-1994 you refer to. Didn't all Fox edition Polos come with the 1043cc (AAU) engine and 4 speed box? This is why he has to be liberal with the accelerator. (Same engine and 'box combination as mine)

As for whats to go first.....well, if you use the clutch properly and sympathetically, it should go on for a little while longer. Im thinking breather hoses (as allready mentioned) or some little electrical niggle. As someone has allready kinda said, if you like the car enough, then it won't matter if the bills near the (supposed) value of the car.

Hope it gives you many happy and reliable miles anyway

Roberson
Hi,

His car is from what I would say roughly N to T (ish) reg shape although with it being the special model Fox, it's M. (Pretty much like my old Fiesta Ghia being a mark 4 at N reg as opposed to P)

It's most definitely a 1.3 5 speed as 1) My mum had a 1.0 and it was a lot slower than this and 2) It's a 5 speed.

I shoudl mention one thing - the left wing mirror has started shedding it's "mirrory stuff" around the edges leaving a brown effect. Other than that, it's in tip top nick.

--
Adam
VW Polo...hints on whats going to break? - Roberson
Hi,

Get which one you mean now. Just thaught that Fox editions were only available till '94. (You learn somethin new every day here ;-))
Hi
Don't worry about it mate - so did I until he got this!
--
Adam
Is this the Polo that got mangled in an accident and
was then bodged back together?

Yes...and taken back six times til it was no longer bodged and good as new. Panic not!

VW Polo...hints on whats going to break? - Number_Cruncher
Hi PoloGirl,

I think that if regular checks are made on fluid levels, and general car condition, then I think you will be unlucky if anything major goes wrong.

If you use an independant garage, then you can still get a lot of work done for little money - especially when compared with what you may have to shell out for a new car.

You ask about what tips to look out for in your original post. Sometimes, if you drive one car a lot, you get used to some faults as they develop. It is good to both drive another car, and get someone else to drive yours.

number_cruncher
VW Polo...hints on whats going to break? - Kevin
>..in the three years he's been with me.

He??? Sorry PG but all cars are "She"!

>I have him serviced every 10,000 miles..

No comment ;-)

Kevin...
VW Polo...hints on whats going to break? - Bromptonaut
PG

No experience of Polos but had plenty of other older cars, 13 yr old 150k BX still in daily use. Not just local, it did a 250 mile round trip to biggin hill recently.

You are doing all the right things, regular services and heeding the replacement advisories on brakes and bushings. No reason why Polo should not do another 50k if you treat him with respect. Gearbox will give plenty of warning in the form of noise and obstructive changes before stranding you. Clutch linings, like brake pads, are consumables and will need changing sooner or later. It's a standard job and should be easy to get a quote for so you can plan for the worst case scenario. Again there should be warning eg slippage or stiffness and bite only at the top of pedal travel.

And don't be too frightened of repairs that cost more than the car is "worth". The worth to you of a car with a known history and an investemnt in maintenance is a lot more than the book value. Depreciation on anything new, or the cost of an unknown lemon will put that one big bill in perspective.
VW Polo...hints on whats going to break? - arky
And don't be too frightened of repairs that cost more than
the car is "worth". The worth to you of a car
with a known history and an investemnt in maintenance is a
lot more than the book value. Depreciation on anything new, or
the cost of an unknown lemon will put that one big
bill in perspective.

But when you do it 3 times in 2 years (1993 Golf 120k miles), patience starts to wear thin
VW Polo...hints on whats going to break? - Dulwich Estate
By the end of 3 years the 1.6 Polo belonging to SWMBO broke its distributor, starter motor and water pump. Got a Jazz now.
VW Polo...hints on whats going to break? - Dulwich Estate
Uh! forgot - mileage when sold 20k.